Last minute questions! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last minute questions! Last minute questions!

Unread 06-02-2001, 01:31 AM
Last minute questions!

Greetings, Sisters!

I'm not sure what happened to my last post. Forgive me if this is a repeat. I am scheduled for my TAH on Mon., 6/4. What's the word on wearing deodorant or lotion the day of surgery? I don't recall being told, but other people have told me not to, otherwise, I wouldn't be asking. And how about hairspray or cologne? I just want to go in feeling good about my appearance/smell. Sorry about the vanity, but I guess I'm already feeling a little less feminine. I was told I can't wear my contacts OR a tampon...and of course I just started my period. Last minute panic, I know, but I'm so good at it...panicking that is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2001, 04:10 AM
Last minute questions!

Hi Belle, I think you will probably get a lot of different answers on this one. I had no restrictions about deodorant and lotions when I went to the castle. In my case, I took my usual shower, wore deodorant and applied some unscented lotion to my legs. I wasn't told I couldn't, but I didn't wear perfume. IMHO, I wouldn't wear anything scented...I know that other people's perfumes sometimes makes me sneeze....and I sure wouldn't have wanted to take the chance of my surgeon sneezing at an inopportune moment!

I used a touch of hairspray, but again, my hairspray is unscented. The only thing I was told I couldn't use was makeup and finger nail polish. And don't worry about having your period; they're very used to it at the castle. I had mine too, and was provided a lovely pair of disposable panties and an old fashioned type pad.

Good luck, you're almost a now!
Unread 06-02-2001, 06:26 AM
Last minute questions!

Hi, Belle! Am finally feeling human after my TAH BSO on 5/9. I'm sure you will want to wear deorderant on the day of surgery. It will be a while before your next shower. The morning of my surgery I used everything I normally do, including a light fragrance. I also wore my make-up, but you might want to go easy on the eye make up as it will smear and you'll wake up looking like a racoon. I was specifically told it was OK to wear nail polish so I had a manicure and pedicure a couple of days before surgery to pamper myself. But hospitals vary on that one. I've heard from many sisters here that they too started their period right before to surgery. Don't worry, they've seen it all. Several years ago when I was undergoing some exploratory surgery for infertility, I also started my period that morning. I just put in a tampon and figured they would deal with it. But you probably shouldn't take that chance. Good luck on your stay at the castle. We'll be thinking of you.
Hugs,
Judi V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2001, 09:26 AM
Last minute questions!

Hi, Belle,
My hospital was specific about no make up and one finger tip clean for the oxygen monitor thingy. (I have fake nails and was so glad I didn't have to remove all of them...expensive!!) I think I wore deodorant and put lotion on my legs after my pre-surgery shower. You might just call the nurses in the surgery department to find out how they expect you to show up.

Hope this weekend in enjoyable for you...get some rest as well as getting ready!

Unread 06-02-2001, 10:17 AM
Last minute questions!

Had my trip to the castle on 5/25 for
TAH/BSO and I took a glorious scented
bubble bath using the matching gel and
lotion!! It made me feel so good and ready
for what lie ahead!!!
I have long hair and always wear it up but
couldn't wear pins so braided it and used gel
and hairspray to get all the "wispys" neat...
no complaints about any of it!!!

Just try to organize everything you can and
prepare your home and family for a tough
1st week and then go in peace knowing that
others have much worse surgery than this and
THEY recover and go on with their lives...so you
can! I had to keep reminding myself that this isn't
the worse case scenario by far!!!

I'm so glad it's all behind me now and recovery is slow
but steady!! I'll tell you more about it all later!! heehee

Good luck and God will help you!
Hugs,
sheilac
Unread 06-02-2001, 10:35 AM
vanity

TVH/BSO and all kinds of repairs June 5. I was told NO perfumes, NO deoderant, NO lotions, NO hairspray, NO contact lenses, NO nail polish, NO hairpins, NO nothing other than my COTTON socks to keep my feet warm in surgery room. Even have to be careful NOT to swallow anything when brushing my teeth in the morning.

I'd really check with the Dr. or hospital nurses. This information was all given to me at my pre-op May 30.

Good luck and prayers to all.

BarbH
Unread 06-03-2001, 03:52 PM
Last minute questions!

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. I really do appreciate it. My original post did eventually appear, so this thread was kind of a duplicate...as far as my questions, not your responses. Thanks again, and I'll see you on the other side!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register