Driving | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Driving

When did your doc. say it was okay to drive?

I see my doc. today for a 4-wk post op. I hope he says that I can drive. Tired of my kids carting me around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Re: Driving

My doc said when I was ready, plus my family said hold off whatever I needed they would provide. I really do not have anywhere that I need to go, except my doc appt and my family have no problem driving me. I need this rest time and believe me it's worth it. We always were the ones carting our kids around, let them help you for awhile. You will be ok, let your body heal and relax.
Unread 06-29-2009, 12:11 PM

My doctor cleared me to drive at the two week mark. I drive a stick shift, and on the day I was cleared I did a test run around my neighborhood. I had no problems, so I drove to my first post op appt., also with no problems.

I only drive when I have to, which is not often, as I have everything I need at home. I am relieved, though, that if necessary, I can drive, as I live alone. This way I can get around if I have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2009, 12:15 PM

My dr said no driving for 2 weeks. I can't actually be cleared then. As i don't go back for 6 weeks.
Unread 06-29-2009, 12:17 PM

Hi Eklkel,

For me it's more of a mental thing, knowing I CAN drive if I wanted to. I am developing a bad case of cabin fever and knowing I could get out helps. I'm waiting to hear from my doctor. I'm just shy of 3 weeks post-op.
Unread 06-29-2009, 01:27 PM

It was in my discharge papers to not drive for 2 weeks but I don't go back to see him for 6 weeks so I just sat behind the wheel and pumped the brakes a few times and felt fine so I then decided to drive to our post office (I live in a very small town of 300 people) and I did just fine!

I don't drive that much during the summer but it sure was nice to be able to again!

Unread 06-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Today, doc. said I was clear to drive, (4 weeks) but not to start with something crazy like hours long.
I live in a teeny tiny town, so just want to drive down to the post office or the library.
Thanks, ladies
Unread 06-29-2009, 05:02 PM

Yahoo! Got the okay I can drive as long as I am not taking any narcotics...so now I have to decide which is more important...escape from the house or escape from discomfort!

Actually the pain meds didn't do much for me and I haven't taken them for days so it looks like I'm a driving girl!
Unread 06-29-2009, 07:22 PM

Hello Sisters . . . I had my first follow up today, I am 10-day post op. I asked my Dr the question... "how soon can I drive?" Like Limarie had said and my Dr said the same comment, "As long as I can put my foot on the brake timely to stop the car, I should be fine, but no long drives."
However, Dr also said that she would prefer if I wait 4 or 5 weeks post-op before I can drive completely. This is not a problem for me, I am okay with this.

Well, I drove to the Drs today, only 2 miles from home. I was driving slow and was really very careful with a pillow on my tummy. One thing I noticed, I got tired easily - so for me, this tells me that my body is saying that it may NOT be time for me to drive. That's okay.
I just want to be safe and the people around me to be safe so I know to take things slowly, which I will. Be safe

Take care sisters...
Unread 06-30-2009, 07:02 PM

I had my tah on June 8 and took a little spin on Sunday night. It went ok and so I have driven with my husband a few times since. Not long distance just a little to town about 10 miles away. It feels ok. Not jarring or anything. Just as long as not on pain meds, my papers said i could drive.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register