Scheduled TLH Upcoming hysterectomy 11/24: Remove both ovaries to help stop migraines? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/24: Remove both ovaries to help stop migraines? Upcoming hysterectomy 11/24: Remove both ovaries to help stop migraines?

Unread 11-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/24: Remove both ovaries to help stop migraines?

Hi,

I'm still undecided about removing just one ovary or both? Need to have 1 removed due to painful cysts. I have suffered with migraines for the last twenty years and have heard it gets better or stops with menopause? Is it true? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Re: Remove both ovaries to help stop migraines?

Hi jdza to HysterSisters!

Removing ovaries to prevent migraines may not be wise, at it is not consistent what happens. And health the trade offs of not having your ovary and being dumped into surgical menopause should be explored with your doctor.

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and lost both ovaries and tubes (TAH BSO) - no choice for me. I was dumped into surgical menopause and was MISERABLE. I am on HRT and it gave me my life back, but it is not the same as my own hormones. I also suffered from migraines, and had a big reduction in frequency after my surgery (about 80%). BUT, I count myself very lucky as not all ladies get relief.

Here is some information that may help: Should I Keep My Healthy Ovary?.

Consider your options and health situation carefully. Make the right decision for you.

Unread 11-08-2015, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the info. My pre-op with dr is this week. Will certainly discuss it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2015, 06:26 PM

I had migraines for 10 years and tried everything before having my surgery in April. I had both ovaries taken because the migraines were believed to be the cause of the fluctuation of hormones so only taking 1 was not going to help the situation. I will say I have not had 1 migraine since April 2015 and I have not had any symptoms of menopause but with the other problems I believe are from the hysterectomy, I am not sure if it was worth it. I believe I could have handled the migraines better than the extremely high blood pressure and constant aching I have experienced since July. I am now on BP medicine and pain pills for the constant pain in my entire body, I do not have definitive answers as to the cause of the BP or aching but I am convinced it is all due to the surgery. Good Luck I hope you are lucky enough to fix your migraines without the stress of other problems.
Unread 11-15-2015, 10:54 AM

As I have heard from others, surgical menopause from having both ovaries removed can be pure h***, not to mention the negative effect it can have on your bones and heart health. And it's completely unnecessary, when there are other things you can do for your migraines. Firstly, eliminate trigger foods, including red wine, aged cheese, chocolate, processed food and skipped meals; keeping a food/symptom diary can help you to identify and eliminate other possible culprits. Another thing that can help is increasing your riboflavin intake from foods like quinoa, cremeni mushrooms, skim milk, or a good quality supplement; studies suggest that this could decrease their frequency and severity by as much as 50%. Also, try increasing your magnesium intake from leafy greens, nuts and seeds, or a good quality supplement. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
Unread 11-15-2015, 11:18 AM

I only had migraines during my period and after trying everything else including migraine medicine over a 10 yr period it was my last resort. With all the issues I have had since surgery, I am not sure if I would have had it. Try everything you possibly can before you decide, again I only had them during my monthly cycle and they were becoming debilitating so I felt it was my only option for relief. Good luck!
Unread 11-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/24: Remove both ovaries to help stop migraines?

Firstly, thanks to all who replied. I appreciate all the great advice from your personal experiences. I have decided to only have one ovary removed after discussing it further with OBGYN. Fingers crossed all goes well and I'm going to try and stay positive and hopefully have all the positive outcomes and none of the negative. Thanks again!
Unread 11-15-2015, 03:19 PM

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope for no more migraines!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register