Nervous despite research and input - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous despite research and input Nervous despite research and input

Unread 02-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Nervous despite research and input

Yah I understand how you feel about being nervous, my doc and I finally decided on a hysterectomy on Feb 22, and she called today and told my hyst date is March 4th! I'm happy that it's not goin to be a long wait time, but the waiting is SOOO terrible. I have read and read, and I can almost not find anything else to read except when someone posts something new lol. I ave been nitpicking everything and double checking everything, and im actually beginning to annoy myself, let alone everyone around me haha. So, you're not alone in the nervous thing!! Just hope that all goes well for you, and I hope that you are able to feel comfortable with you decision! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2008, 08:00 PM

Thank you for the support! This is such a hard personal decision. I worry about things like feeling empty after. Is that odd? I sit and look at my stomach and actually wonder will it be caved in. LOL I know it won't be because my mom had a hyster., but for a moment each day, the thought creeps in. I also catch myself saying things like "you are used to the problems you have had, why go do something so major" almost talking myself out of it. Truth is, I have been miserable to long. I have tried all other avenues. I have done the meds, I have done the homeopathic path, I have ate the no sugar diet, taken supplements, etc. Anything the Dr.s wanted me to try I have tried. So, when the Dr. said this is it, I guess I just figured maybe since it worked for my mom when she was having these issues, that this is it. I also figure if nothing else, it buys me a week back in my life every month to feel "normal".
Unread 02-26-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyster007
Thank you for the support! This is such a hard personal decision. I worry about things like feeling empty after. Is that odd? I sit and look at my stomach and actually wonder will it be caved in. LOL I know it won't be because my mom had a hyster., but for a moment each day, the thought creeps in. I also catch myself saying things like "you are used to the problems you have had, why go do something so major" almost talking myself out of it. Truth is, I have been miserable to long. I have tried all other avenues. I have done the meds, I have done the homeopathic path, I have ate the no sugar diet, taken supplements, etc. Anything the Dr.s wanted me to try I have tried. So, when the Dr. said this is it, I guess I just figured maybe since it worked for my mom when she was having these issues, that this is it. I also figure if nothing else, it buys me a week back in my life every month to feel "normal".
hi there - you've been great and trying to alternatives first, so now its just a matter of becoming comfortable with the hyst. Knowing the type of surgery your doctor plans and what you and s/he decide to leave or take will give you more specific things to research (I'm exactly the way you are - I read way too much !!!!) which will give you better focus.

Its normal to be nervous and to ask all the questions you've been asking yourself. I first joined here 5 years ago when a hyst was first suggested - talk about scared ? I ran as fast as I could and just put the whole matter out of my mind. How I WISH I had stayed and gotten the surgery then, but I didn't so here I am again - this time from a post-op perspective

This time I was much calmer - because I KNEW this was the right thing to do. I think you know that for yourself also - so you're doing great in my opinion. I did get VERY nervous the final 3 days - just normal surgery worries, nothing specific to the hyst.

I think you're on the right track making an additional appt with your doc. I had just met mine so we didn't have a strong relationship. We discussed alot of the details 4 or 5 weeks before my surgery, and my pre-op wasn't until the day before surgery. I called his office to ask my questions and he called me back at the end of the day each and every time and patiently answered all my questions, taking time to explain when I wanted more info. I'm sure he would have welcomed an additional appointment for me (in fact that probably would have been easier for him ! poor guy).

All the best to you
Unread 02-26-2008, 08:14 AM

If you have done a lot of research that should give you more questions to ask your doctor. I had plenty of questions, regarding everything (drains, pain meds etc...). Especially after my mom told me about her friend that was put on Tylenol 3 after a TAH and begged in agony for over 24 hours post op before she got a morphine drip!

I totally understand about the fear/emotional rollercoaster, talking to my doc beforehand helped a lot; he doesn't have the best bedside manner, in fact the discussions have gotten very "animated" regarding what parts to remove and under what circumstances (cancer is possibility) but his suggestion to double the Prozac dose in order to get my emotions under control was a brilliant idea! That alone made a big difference in the anxiety level (go figure!).
Unread 02-27-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyster007
The reason for my hyster is 8 years of ever increasing bleeding, cramping, and a constant battle of yeast / bac infections. I initially went in for an ablation, but after he heard the history and took a look at me, he said my cervix had overactive glands due to a LEEPS procedure done in 2000. This was when ALL of my issues started. I posted the full story in the hysterectomy options board in case you want to take a look at it.
Wow! I'm new here on the site. Havent posted anything here until this morning and my procedure is next Tues. I was interested in what you had to say about the LEEPS procedure. I had two procedures done in my early twenties and my boyfriend tells me that I can't stand for him to be anywhere near my cervix. I never thought about a correlation between the two. I am going for my pre-op in a half an hour. Extremely nervous and going to ask a lot of questions. Getting more and more nervous as I get closer. Mostly about sexual function after the operation. I am a very sexual person and am deathly afraid of that changing, it's such a part of who I am.
It has been wonderful reading all your posts ladies!! Thank you for "being there"!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register