TVH What pain meds are you on?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What pain meds are you on?? What pain meds are you on??

Unread 04-25-2012, 11:55 PM
What pain meds are you on??

Hi Sisters
I had a TVH on Monday (23rd) with repairs and have been home since Tuesday afternoon.
My Doc has told me i only need to take Panadene or Ponstan (over the counter meds) for pain relief so didn't prescribe me anything stronger.
I'm still having gas pains and ovarian pain (kept both) as well as pressure when i sit and lower back pain.
The over the counter meds don't feel like they are working as well as they could. They take the edge off slightly, but only for 2-3 hours.
I'm wondering if i should go to the ER for something stronger or not. The pain is not bad enough to make me cry, but i can only sit for around 10 mins and walk from one end of the house to the other before im in pain.
Where any of you told that over the counter meds would be enough to cope or where you given a prescription?
Thanks Sisters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Re: What pain meds are you on??

I would call your doctor for something stronger and if he won't prescribe it go to the ER. Your body needs all it's energy to go towards healing and if your in pain it will send your energy to the pain first, and yiur healing may take longer. I had a horrible time managing my pain. Doctor prescribed 5 mg percocet and 800 mg motrin. It only barely took the edge off, so she called in a higher dose of percocet. 7.5 MG. I took that for 2 weeks, then was able to cut down to the 5 mg percocet. I am 3 weeks post op and still taking one 5 mg percocet every 8 hours or so plus the motrin in between. We all have different pain tolerances, as well as medication tolerances. You just had major surgery and it is absolutely not fair for your doctor to expect you to suffer needlessly.
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:02 PM

I've decided to give his office a call and see what happens.
He is a very lovely doctor and a little old fashioned, but i get the feeling he is against using narcotics.
I've tried to 'deal' with it and so far I can, but that being said i have had bad sleep most nights from the cramping pain.
Thanks again Cathb911
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2012, 10:20 PM

If he won't, and your still in pain head to the Emergency room straight from his office so you don't have to make another trip out in the car.
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM

Rang his office and he doesn't prescribe narcotics. My hubby is not real impressed at all.
Luckily for me I have a great pharmacist who has some drugs for my hubby to go pick up (coedine).
Will see how that go's first and fingers crossed no trip to the Emergency
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Im 3 weeks past op, and i just took my last pecocet, i got a perscription 3 days pre op(horrible pain) couldnt take ibuphrophen. Got a script when i left the hospitial on the 6th of april and got 20 more at th ER, because i was almost out at home and i had gone fishing 10 days post op and thought i pulled something was in horrible pain. I was just backed up and had horrible gas pains. But yes you need them my dear, your body wont heal if its in pain all the time go to the ER be honest. Good luck, it does get better rest ALOT. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the support Ladies

Hubby wants to go down to his office, chop his testicles off, then chuck him a packet of paracetamol and see how he copes with the pain

Only time will tell if the next lot of drugs will help
Unread 04-27-2012, 02:35 AM

I'd have your hubby call back. Perhaps that was the nurses idea and she never asked the doctor. If he performs surgery then narcotics are sometimes necessary. ( you were knocked out and given narcotics during surgery) I've never heard of a surgeon that " doesn't believe in narcotics? Have your hubby insist on talking to the doctor, skip the nurse.
Unread 04-27-2012, 04:27 AM

hi I had my hyster on Tuesday (24th) and am only just home today and on tramadol and oxycontin and paracetamol - so loads of drugs, and needing them. Also anti-nausea meds. I had a lot of pre-op pain, and another abdominal surgery just 7 weeks before this one, so I had some trouble managing pain in the lead up and now too,,,but certainly agree with others here urging you to push for better pain management. Regardless of what your doctors pain philosophy and practice is, you have just had an organ removed from your body, and regardless of how others find that experience, you have to play to you and find the best was to address your pain management. I hope you and your husband can advocate strongly (laughed so much about his plan for addressing the empathy issue) and you get the help you need to heal properly.
Unread 04-27-2012, 04:34 AM

I have since found out that he has a reputation for not doing prescriptions. The nurse did actually go and ask him (she thought she had put me on hold, but i herd everything).
I can't understand why they would have you on morphine in the hospital for the pain, but then nothing after. It sounds a bit strange to me.
Luckily he is not my regular GP. I only went with him because he was the only surgeon in town.
I live in the middle of the desert in Australia and it's a 6 hr drive to the City where i could have been referred, but i didnt want to be so far from home and at the time I thought i would have adequate pain relief afterwards.
The new pain killers from the pharmacist seem to be doing the trick so far, so at least that's something

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register