9 Weeks Post Op, Very Depressed, Sad? Normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9 Weeks Post Op, Very Depressed, Sad? Normal? 9 Weeks Post Op, Very Depressed, Sad? Normal?

Unread 03-01-2011, 02:04 PM
9 Weeks Post Op, Very Depressed, Sad? Normal?

Hi my name is Marie. Tommorow will be 9 weeks since my hysterectomy. I had my uterus removed due to painful fibroids. This whole recovery & the surgery has really thrown me into I don't know what? I have been feeling really depressed, anxious, sad, crying easily, emotional. I have gained 6 lbs since the surgery. I don't know if that is normal or not? I am very unhappy with that. Before surgery I was actively running 3-4 days per week. I had lost a large amt of weight over time so gaining this weight upsets me even more. I eat healthy & take vitamins. I am not on any hormone medications. I what I am feeling normal from this surgery & how long does it last? I went through my recovery pretty much alone because I am not married nor do I have any children. Family members would drop in once in awhile. It was so rough & frustrating to not be able to physically do simple things around the house for myself. I never thought I would be lying in bed in pain from surgery all alone. That alone I feel embarassed to say. I have been walking since week 2 after the surgery around the neighborhood. A little after 3-4 weeks I started light jogging again. Now I have been running again as I was before but I am not mentally feeling better like I used to after a run/workout. Its so frustrating. Any advice, suggestions, experience about this would be greatly appreciated. Could my hormones still be screwed up or acting funny even if I didn't have my ovaries removed? I am at a loss for answers, thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Re: 9 Weeks Post Op, Very Depressed, Sad? Normal?

I am 7 weeks post-op and I still am having some of those same feelings. It gets really frustrating to find myself crying over what is really nothing. At my 6 week appointment, my doctor told me that she thought when I got back to regular activities, I would likely start feeling better. She also told me to give it another 6 weeks, and to call her back if it didn't improve. I still have my ovaries, and she told me that the ovaries can go into shock and take a while to really wake up after surgery. If it doesn't improve, I would definitely talk to your doctor. Now that the fibroid pain is gone, you shouldn't have to have the emotional part take over. Hang in there!!
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Thanks Jf2 for you response. Its good to know that I am not the only one feeling this. I am going to try & get a gyn appt asap & get my hormone levels checked out. Thanks again & I hope that you start feeling better yourself!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotarose24 View Post
Hi my name is Marie. Tommorow will be 9 weeks since my hysterectomy. I had my uterus removed due to painful fibroids. This whole recovery & the surgery has really thrown me into I don't know what? I have been feeling really depressed, anxious, sad, crying easily, emotional. I have gained 6 lbs since the surgery. I don't know if that is normal or not? I am very unhappy with that. Before surgery I was actively running 3-4 days per week. I had lost a large amt of weight over time so gaining this weight upsets me even more. I eat healthy & take vitamins. I am not on any hormone medications. I what I am feeling normal from this surgery & how long does it last? I went through my recovery pretty much alone because I am not married nor do I have any children. Family members would drop in once in awhile. It was so rough & frustrating to not be able to physically do simple things around the house for myself. I never thought I would be lying in bed in pain from surgery all alone. That alone I feel embarassed to say. I have been walking since week 2 after the surgery around the neighborhood. A little after 3-4 weeks I started light jogging again. Now I have been running again as I was before but I am not mentally feeling better like I used to after a run/workout. Its so frustrating. Any advice, suggestions, experience about this would be greatly appreciated. Could my hormones still be screwed up or acting funny even if I didn't have my ovaries removed? I am at a loss for answers, thanks so much!!
Well, I'm 5 weeks after my surgery of Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy (cervix and ovaries intact) and what you are reporting doesn't sound promising. I am experiencing fatigue, lower back pain and swollen abdomen. I also feel emotionally depleted (though I wonder if it's partially b/c of winter). If this is going to persist much longer I won't be very happy I hope and pray that you will start feeling better soon. It appears that this process is more like a marathon than a sprint
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:57 PM

Hi Marie,

Sorry you are feeling so sad. All of us have been going through varying degrees of surgical change in our bodies. Not to mention the chemical changes that occur when our hormone producing parts are removed. It must be even harder going through this alone. I think you have found a good place here to talk about what you are going through so you should give yourself a big hug for making this step.

I am about two weeks post-op and have felt a myriad of changes. My husband and mother have been very supportive and am glad to have their help, I can't imagine doing this alone, you owe yourself another big hug and one from me too.

Prior to surgery, I was taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT). After surgery, I wasn't sure if I should continue so didn't take them. I was experiencing many emotional periods so started the HRT again. I had my uterus and cervix removed except the ovaries and tubes. My dr said that the ovaries can still produce hormones but removing the uterus can put you into menopause. Right after surgery I felt very "hot" flashes more than before. Once I got back on the HRT regimen, the swinging emotions and hot flashes diminished greatly. I am feeling better in that regard but am still in pain. Perhaps you can talk to your doctor about trying an HRT regimen. I am taking Divigel an estradiol hormone and Prometrium (progesterone). This is what has helped me but your doctor should be able to find the right combination for you.

That is great that you are running again, I am just walking and wish I could do more. Don't worry about the weight, you will loose it again, your body still needs time to heal. This is a major surgery and your body has been through a lot so give your body time. Rest up when you need it. I like to read so when I lie in bed I just read my books and I forget the loneliness when no one is around. I have also found this website to be of a big help too, so keep posting.

Hang in there and talk to your doctor about your feelings, only you can be your best advocate!

Big Hugs,
Kitty10
Unread 03-02-2011, 09:38 AM

Kitty:

That is strange that your doctor told you that your uterus will put you into menopause. My understanding (from my Dr. as well as reading about this) is that the uterus is not producing any hormones only the ovaries. "The uterus is shaped like an upside-down pear, with a thick lining and muscular walls — in fact, the uterus contains some of the strongest muscles in the female body. These muscles are able to expand and contract to accommodate a growing fetus and then help push the baby out during labor." The ovaries are part of the endocrine system because they produce female sex hormones such as estrogen and progesterone.

Therefore, if your ovaries are intact you should not have a pre-mature (artificially induced) menopause.
Unread 03-02-2011, 03:53 PM

Hmm, good point agijd. I wonder what the dr meant. Prior to the surgery I was already going through menopause symptoms and on HRT. I did notice that right after the surgery the hot flashes were even more severe then before, it felt like being next to a fire. When I got out of the hospital I called my Dr's office and asked the nurse about the HRT, she wasn't sure and told me to continue to take it and ask the dr at my pre-op appointment. I started back on the HRT meds and the severe hot flashes stopped. I was also less moody. I did feel a little tired and down today but made myself get out of bed and go on a walk. I felt much better and was good to get out.
Unread 03-02-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty10 View Post
Hmm, good point agijd. I wonder what the dr meant. Prior to the surgery I was already going through menopause symptoms and on HRT. I did notice that right after the surgery the hot flashes were even more severe then before, it felt like being next to a fire. When I got out of the hospital I called my Dr's office and asked the nurse about the HRT, she wasn't sure and told me to continue to take it and ask the dr at my pre-op appointment. I started back on the HRT meds and the severe hot flashes stopped. I was also less moody. I did feel a little tired and down today but made myself get out of bed and go on a walk. I felt much better and was good to get out.
Well, I have no idea how old you are and why you were going through menopause symptoms before your surgery. But again, it appears that you are not going through that because of your uterus is removed. Perhaps you were experiencing menopause already. At any rate, I'm sure for all the pain and heartache I hope you'll feel better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register