poor treatment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

poor treatment poor treatment

Unread 06-28-2013, 07:55 PM
poor treatment

Looking for any suggestions. I have only been home one day from my surgery which was on the 25th. No doctors came to see me after my total hist. for two days Until I called the patient advocate at the hospital. Once I called her they had a doctor in my room within 15 mins. Then discharged me later that day, but I am still upset about the poor treatment I received and feel like I want something more done, or should I just let it go since I am home and recovering well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Re: poor treatment

I'm sorry you were treated poorly.
My daughter works at a hospital, she would say that you should make a complaint or talk to someone at the hospital about it. If you don't speak up it will continue to happen to other people.
Hope you are recovering well.
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:26 PM

Write a letter to both the hospital and your surgeons office manager
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2013, 08:35 PM

Not only would I complain to the Dr and hospital, I'd check my bill. Did a Dr glance at your chart and bill that as a visit? It happens. You had surgery. You should have been seen, in person, daily. IMHO, Drs need to get called on it when they don't do their job. Nicely, but expecting some accountability. I'd follow up on it.
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:55 AM

Also write a review on yelp or social media. You would be helping other patients/potential patients. Bad behavior like that needs to be exposed.
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:18 AM

If you are still under the care of this doctor, I'd hold off on the official complaints (e.g., filing official complaint with hospital, posting on yelp or social media) until you know nothing will change. There's nothing worse than needing to be cared for by a defensive, resentful doctor.
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:50 AM

I would actually write to the doctor himself and see if he has any good explanations - maybe you were asleep when he came by. Maybe you don't remember due to the anesthesia (my first 4 days out of anesthesia I have to ask my husband questions about that time).

However, if the answer is still that you were not seen for 2 days, I would write a complaint to the doctor and to the hospital, and I would demand an explanation and demand a way for them to fix their system so this does not happen to another patient.

I'm glad that you are doing well at home in recovery. In the place I work, I trust most of the nurses more than the docs because the nurses are actually with the patients and see what is going on. So it sounds like you had a good nursing staff who hopefully gave you good patient care. Hugs to you!
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:13 AM
poor treatment

I was not seen the 25th (day of my surgery) on the 26 th icalled the nurses to page her so I could get treatment and food . nurses keep telling me they couldn't change my treatment without Doc consent, so she called and gave inductions over the phone and no Doc until the 27th when I decided I had to call the patient advocate. Yes the nurses were great &I let the advocate know that. My doctor (I love her) said she had a family emergency and her on call Doc was supposed to attend to me. She apologized said I fell through the cracks and said this shouldn't have happened and hasn't in a long . I will continue to see her and I don't feel she's at fault.
Unread 06-29-2013, 02:34 PM

It sounds like that is your explanation, right there. Your doctor even said it, that you fell through the cracks. I am so sorry that it happened to you. The whole system is running on human beings who are unfortunately going to make errors now and then. I spent a few years working in a hospital and sadly saw errors every day. Thankfully the nurses were there for you, and you were knowledgable enough to call patient advocacy and get help. Again, so very sorry it happened! At the most at this point I might connect with patient relations again, in writing, and ask them to help make sure something like that can't happen again if a surgeon is called away. There was a communication problem!
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:09 PM

My doc was unorthodox in his practice too. The first day my surgeon saw i was out of it so my aunt knows more about what went on than i do .Then the next day his father came and saw me.. Really didn't know much about my case.. He was asking me questions about why I had it done and what procedure was done. Then his comment about me keeping my cervix would keep me "moist". AAAACK! My husband was on Skype and heard him and choked on his coffee because of it.. Then the next day I I guess another one of his partners.. Came. When I was sleeping and just looked at the nurses notes... Didn't say a word to me... Then finally the surgeon came back today to discharge me... And gave the nurses instructions to give me the staple removal kit.. So that I could bring it to his practice on tues.. For him to remove the staples...that made eyebrows go up..so it was just weird..then his last parting comment was I wouldn't be getting old for awhile since I was able to keep my overies...another eyebrow raiser..I couldn't decide if I should laugh at them or be mortified...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register