how long after cath comes out - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long after cath comes out how long after cath comes out

Unread 09-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Re: how long after cath comes out

I had a catheter in after surgery. Before they even had me get out of the bed, I had to go, and I mean NOW!! I kept telling my husband and he just laughed and said, "Go ahead." He knew I had the catheter and it shouldn't be a problem. I called a nurse into the room and told her my situation. She went to check the bag and was surprised it was nearly empty. When she moved the bag, the catheter came out on its own. It wasn't in properly so was not working. Before she could get around to the other side of the bed, I was standing (This was just hours after a TAH/BSO). Like I said - I had to go NOW!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2009, 06:41 PM

doulaamber, I had my 3 and a half hour surgery at 6.30 pm and got back to the ward at roughly 10.30pm with a catheter in too. About lunch time the next day they removed the catheter and told me to drink small amounts of water all day and stressed not to drink too much too soon. They told me that when I needed to go to the toilet I had to collect the urine in a jug provided so they could measure the amount passed and then do a bladder scan to check if there was any urine left over 100mls in my bladder (which would indicate a problem). I had my drip removed a bit too early in the day and was very dehydrated (thirsty and with dry cracked pale lips) so all the fluid I was drinking was being absorbed. I ended up drinking 1200mls and finally went several hours later. They told me I had to do this without any urine retention or problems 3 times until I could go home, and I made sure I did and went home the next morning. Every body is different.
Unread 09-09-2009, 06:49 PM

i woke up from my RALH with the catheter in and they removed it the next morning- once it was out they told me once i went in the toilet, i could go home- so guess what, i went right in the bathroom and peed! i was released soon after. the nurse was a little surprised but i saved it so she could see : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Thanks everyone! I was just curious. After it came out I felt the urge bad but I couldn't get it out. I was finally able to go but had to do it standing up LOL! I've gone 3 times now

Never thought I would be so happy to pee! Or fart!!!
Unread 09-09-2009, 08:33 PM

I woke up in recovery and had a catheter. It was removed the next morning at 6:00 a.m., and I was able to void shortly there after.
Unread 09-09-2009, 08:50 PM

I actually peed right away after it came out the next day and "proved" myself for several hours before I was discharged late afternoon. Then I got home and got into trouble over the next 3 hours. I don't know if the activity caused me to swell or what, but I ended up on a mad dash 10 mile car ride in total urinary retention, and in great distress. You know, car door hanging open at the ER door kind of urgency. The old man in front of us at the window describing his sore finger was about to be physically pushed aside, I was in so much agony. And with all my distress they insisted on hunting down a bladder scanner which was on the 4th floor. All told it was 40 minutes until they finally cathed me and drained off about 1500 mL of urine. Never been so grateful to have a catheter placed in all my life, if you can believe that. I took that "ball and chain" home for just 3 days, but those were some long days dragging that thing around. Yet, I tried to find some pleasure in it and laid in bed watching TV late at night sucking down Diet Pepsi knowing I wouldn't have to get up and pee. Such fun! After it came out I spent another two days getting things back in order. Had some spells where I couldn't go again, but managed to keep ahead of production and didn't have to go back for another catheter. It's been over 2 months now and everything is back to normal in the urinary department. I think everybody reacts differently. I've never had a touchy bladder or problems urinating ever, yet I had all that trouble. It just depends on the degree of swelling and how fast you clear the anesthesia out of your system. Most people have no problem at all, which is a good thing.
Unread 09-23-2009, 05:41 PM

My cath came out the following morning after my abd. SAH. And, then my bladder opted not to work. So, it went right back in again! It came out later that night after I was given some meds to wake up my bladder. I knew it was time to come out when I was holding my bladder!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register