After a Silver Nitrate treatment for granulation on vaginal cuff | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

After a Silver Nitrate treatment for granulation on vaginal cuff After a Silver Nitrate treatment for granulation on vaginal cuff

Unread 07-19-2012, 10:51 PM
After a Silver Nitrate treatment for granulation on vaginal cuff

How long before I stop bleeding after having a silver nitrate treatment on my vaginal cuff? Has anyone had this done? How was it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2012, 02:35 AM
Re: After a Silver Nitrate treatment for granulation on vaginal cuff

It varies. I had 2 treatments of the nitrate and 2 treatments of the Monsels solution before the bleeding stopped and did not come back.
After the first nitrate I think it stopped for a few days and then came back. Mine was the random gushes of blood that felt like someone turning on a faucet all the way and then turning it off.
Unread 07-20-2012, 05:45 AM

Hi Val,
Thanks for your response. I had the treatment done yesterday and its so wierd how the discharge looks the same. Pinkish. It was rust colored for the rest of the day once it had been applied but now it looks the same. Im back to the same amoutn and color of dishcharge. Did that ever happen to you? Should I call the doctor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2012, 06:24 AM

I have had 2 treatments - at 2 and 4 wks postop. My drainage was very light peachy colored. Not enough to even wear a pantyliner, just there everytime I wiped after going to the bathroom. My 2nd treatment was more uncomfortable than the first. I was crampy for 4 days after. Took Tylenol and that helped. I'm a little over 5 weeks now and saw drainage only twice yesterday and nothing so far this morning - maybe I'm finally turning a corner? My Dr scheduled me a 6 week apt for Wed if I needed it. Hopefully I will be cancelling it, really didn't want to go with the 3rd time is a charm theroy. I start back to work Monday, a little nervous.
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:31 AM

I didn't spot or bleed or have any sort of discharge until last friday - 4 1/2 weeks out! My check up was this past Tuesday. Doc used silver nitrate to try to stop the spotting (hate to call it that, but it's not much on my pad/panty liner, but more so when I wipe). I had a bit more discharge that day and something really nasty looking that evening, then some redder discharge the next day and today so far it's been hardly anything at all - mostly looks like "crumbs" of discharge. Doc made me another appt for next month to do the silver nitrate again, in case I'm still dealing with this mess. He was afraid to go too deep with it this time since I was only 5 weeks out and hopefully what he did will take and I'll be able to cancel my next appt!
Unread 07-21-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy73 View Post
Hi Val,
Thanks for your response. I had the treatment done yesterday and its so wierd how the discharge looks the same. Pinkish. It was rust colored for the rest of the day once it had been applied but now it looks the same. Im back to the same amoutn and color of dishcharge. Did that ever happen to you? Should I call the doctor?
Mine slowed down after a couple of days and then it it turned to the gray "crumbs". I even had a few grayish clumps that the doctor said was just from the blood clots from it slowing down/stopping.

It it keeps being the same color after the weekend then I would call. It may be that your doctor did not apply it on the right spot. I know at first mine couldn't tell where the spot was but I was able to tell him which side it seemed more blood came from. Then he found it and even then it took a total of the 4 treatments. With the 2nd treatment of nitrate he also put on the Monsels solution (which looks like dijon mustard). That seemed to help and then the next time he did just the Monsels solution and that was the last time!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register