hyst. for pms!!! can this really work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hyst. for pms!!! can this really work? hyst. for pms!!! can this really work?

Unread 06-09-2005, 04:52 PM
hyst. for pms!!! can this really work?

Hi everyone, I'm brand new and really scared. my gynae man has said a complete hysterectomy is the best treatment for pms, to stop the fluctuation of hormones. He said I will receive oestrogen patches. I'm aware that ladies can feel very tearful and suffer mood swings post op, so does this mean I won't be any better off?? I was told that my sex drive will get better, as its pretty bad at the moment, but that doesn't seem very likely either does it? Feeling really confused and like its all abit hopeless, with or without the hysterectomy, I'll still have these horrible severe extreme pms feelings. Really need help. many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2005, 05:00 PM

I am currently under treatment for bi-polar disorder and what my psychiatrist suspects might be pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). My gyno and psych. both seem to think that my hysterectomy will help this. My psych even thinks I might be able to quit taking my meds. If you don't know anything about PMDD, it is a severe form of PMS. Here's a link to an article. Also, try googling PMDD.

http://www.drdonnica.com/display.asp?article=1086

Good luck,

Kelly
Unread 06-12-2005, 01:42 PM

Hi purpleruby,

Can you get a 2nd and 3rd opinion? Are you having any problems other than pms? In my opinion, it doesn't seem right that a DR would recommend a hyst for plain old pms. Is there something else going on? A hyst is *major* surgery. I personally would not have considered it if my only symptom was pms, as there are methods to help cope. I would encourage you to educate yourself as much as possible and talk to at least one more DR. Keep us posted on your journey, and good luck!

MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2005, 06:12 PM

HI , I have to agree with Murphy Brown. and I have to ask the same question . is there something elose going on with you other than the PMS. as you have heard this is a major surgery and eventhough at almost 7wks post TAH/LSO I feel pretty good . just a few pain problems with the nerves growing back and such. but I would not even think about sugesting that any one do this for PMS. I can't believe that your doc would even think about it if it is your only problem. I kept my right ovary so I am not having any hormone problems right now but if the doc has said that the ovary are going to be taken out then you will have hormone issues to deal with . and if you are allready having problems with the PMS hormones than you might have problems with this after your hyst . I am not a doc and this is just my opinion. if I were you I would try and research other solutions if the PMS is the only thing you are dealing with right now than why put your body through this surgery if you can find some other treatment that might help you that would be less invasive. Take Care, Cathy
Unread 06-12-2005, 10:10 PM

I agree ,BUT,it's not just "plain old pms"...Anyone out there with true pms,knows there is nothing plain about it.Just don't want it minimized,because mine was driving me nuts......almost literally I felt.Due to heavy bleeding and MAJOR cramps,I went ahead,after trying everything else,(not ablation)....endo was found.I am very happy,it's been 5 weeks,and no pms,and I should have been a freak all last week and this week.......Good luck,and I hope they figure something out for you soon,no matter what it may be...
Unread 06-12-2005, 10:37 PM

I don't want to downplay the symptoms of severe PMS or PMDD, as I've never suffered from them. It sounds horrible!

But, I would also like to urge you to get more opinions. You realize that you will be thrown into full blown surgical menopause, don't you? I haven't had that experience either, but it seems like it can be a real nightmare for some women. I wouldn't want you to go from the fying pan into the fire, with a major surgery in between to top it off.

I was thinking that perhaps you should consult with an endocrinologist who specializes in bio-identical hormones. It seems like you should start with finding out what your hormones are doing before you consider surgery. If you are wildly out of balance, this could be the cause of your severe symptoms. And with the right doctor--unfortunately they aren't easy to find!--you might be able to significantly treat those symptoms.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for. This is a really scary time, isn't it? Please do not let your anxiety get the better of you, though, and allow yourself to research and come up with a plan you are comfortable with. I'm sure it sounds very tempting to accept you doctor's cure-all plan, but I can also see that you aren't totally convinced. Get convinced first. Even if you don't get the outcome you are looking for, at least you will know that you really researched all your options and made an informed choice.

I might also suggest that you post in the hormone jungle boards. The sisters there have tons of experience and knowledge.

Margot
Unread 06-13-2005, 07:03 AM

HI, I was not trying to minimalize the problems with PMS in my earlier post . I was trying to suggest that she try and get a second opinion and do some research to see if there is something else that might help before having this surgery. I am not against having the surgery. and so far at 7wks post op I am very happy with my decision and feel pretty good. but for myself and alot if not all of the other sisters here we would have been happy to have had a different solution that would have worked to avoid all that comes with having this surgery. and I do realize that the hormone fluctuations with severe PMS can be pretty debilitating but I can't help thinking that there might be something out there that she might not have tried yet.and I am sorry if my earlier post offended any one. I was just giving my opinion. Take Care Ladies, Cathy
Unread 06-13-2005, 09:17 AM

It seems to me that if your only problem is PMS and lack of sex drive that your doc needs to have his head examined to recommend a hyst. I know someone posted above saying that PMS can be bad and that they also had severe bleeding, well severe bleeding isn't PMS, that's a problem with your period which is a more logical reason for a hyst.

I had my hyst almost 2 years ago at 33, I'm on HRT and I gotta tell ya, I still get moody and at times when my hormones have been off I've actually felt like I could kill someone (even though I logically would never do that, but at times you can literally feel so angry for something as stupid as someone cutting you on the line that you want to hurt that person). I also have found that my sex drive has severely decreased, I'm a single woman who has no desire at all to meet or date men.

I do know what PMS is like and I know how crappy it can be, but there has to be other methods of controlling PMS rather than going through a hyst. Please get a second opinion before doing this!
Unread 06-13-2005, 03:49 PM

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to clarify that when I said "plain old pms" I was just separating it from "PMDD" which is a whole different ballgame. I agree that pms is not easy, but I was just pointing out that there are perhaps things to try before a hyst if no disease is present. Sorry if I offended anyone suffering with pms...that was not my intention!

MB
Unread 06-13-2005, 06:23 PM

I can't believe any decent gyn would recommend a hyst for PMS, my opinion only. I agree with previous posts, especially about contacting an endocrinologist about natural hormones.

The reason you are suffering PMS is your hormones, the reason for pretty much all women problems is hormones. I can't understand why your gyn would recommend doing a full TAH/BSO and throw you into surgical menopause. Again, my opinion only, that is almost negligence.

You know, I can't remember the page I read this on I will have another search later so I can give you the link, the Board of OBGYN did a study by requesting all records of women who had undergone hysterectomy. The astounding thing is that around 70% of them didn't even meet the mimunum required standards of the Board to undergo hysterectomy. It would seem to me that many, many women could successfully sue for negligence, imagine if women got together on that one, wow!!

Sorry I am getting off the track, I would definitely not go into major surgery for PMS. I would get another opinion and personally I would never go back to that gyn again. There is such a thing as 'duty of care' and 'do no harm' which any doctor must abide by, from what you have told us he is not abiding by either one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register