one day surgery???????????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

one day surgery???????????? one day surgery????????????

Unread 05-04-2003, 01:36 PM
one day surgery????????????

Hello ladies,

I just have to let someone else absorb this information(?). I was telling a woman that I thought was informed about her body and she was astonished that having a TVH was one day surgery!!!!! I quickly told her no, that is not the case, at least with my doc (hers also).

Please let me know if this assumption she is under, is one i am misinformed about.

Thanks, Sondra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2003, 01:41 PM

My gyn told me that when I have my TVH, I will be released the very next morning. A 24 hour stay is all that is necessary as long as I am passing urine, keeping food down, and am able to pass gas and walk around, according to my gyn.

If there are any complications at all, I will have to stay longer. I dont know what the stay or time frame is in other types of hysterectomy.
Unread 05-04-2003, 02:01 PM

Hi! The average hospital stay for a TVH in the US is two nights, but some ladies have stayed only one night and some, much longer. Most insurance companies will only pre-authorize one night, which freaks some of us out when we hear it at first, but our DRs are generally able to get them to authorize a second night once the surgery is done.

While it's true that many DRs will release a patient from the hospital once she can pass gas, keep food down, urinate on her own and walk around, many of us cannot do those things after only 24 hours or less, despite our best efforts and having been in great shape pre-op, and it's important to be mentally prepared for the possibility that that won't happen.

With a TVH, usually getting up to walk, passing gas and eating are not problems (BTW, they won't feed you until you pass gas), but urinating on our own can be difficult. There tends to be a lot of swelling and possibly bruising around the urethra (which runs right along the vagina) from the surgery, and that can make it hard for anything to pass through it.

Also the bladder is a very sensitive, temperamental organ which tends to get 'angry' when it's handled and sometimes will refuse to cooperate for a while. That happened to me, and while everything else was perfect, I had to go home from the hospital with a foley catheter for a week while my bladder and urethra calmed down. After that, no problem!

Everyone's body, and everyone's surgery experience, is different. Reading some of the stories in the Princesses Tell Hyst-Stories forum will give you an idea of the range of experiences you might expect.

Hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2003, 02:06 PM

Hello Sondra,
I don't know about your one day surgery. My doc said I would have to be in 3-4 days and I left on the 3rd day. Maybe I had to stay longer because I had everything taken out. I wish you the best on your day of surgery. I will be thinking about you! and cheering you on
Unread 05-04-2003, 03:20 PM
One Day Surgery

Hi Sondra:

I had a TVH/BSO on Tuesday, April 29, at 8:00 a.m. and was home on Wednesday, April 30 by 11:00 a.m. So that was only a one night stay. So far post-op has been pretty much of a breeze. So it is possible to have it be a 24 hour proposition.

Mildred
Unread 05-04-2003, 03:24 PM
believe it or not....

....this was not the case for me (I was in 4 days w/complications) but a good friend of mine had her surgery in the morning and was home THE SAME DAY!!!!!!!!! (Hers was a very uneventful TVH w/bladder sling.) That was hard for me to believe, but I guess it can happen!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register