Two Different Doctors...Two COMPLETELY Different Opinions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two Different Doctors...Two COMPLETELY Different Opinions Two Different Doctors...Two COMPLETELY Different Opinions

Unread 02-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Two Different Doctors...Two COMPLETELY Different Opinions

Good morning everyone!
Here is my story...I have fought migraines, heavy periods and clotting for around four years. I went to my same ob/gyn on January 25th as my tummy had the look and feel of being 4 or 5 months pregnant. She had me go for an ultrasound. Her nurse phoned on the 27th and said the ultrasound showed some fibroids and that my doctor would call me on Monday, the 30th to confer. I never heard from her! I had been tossing around the idea of changing doctors and did so. I went to my new (and wonderful) ob/gyn last week. She said the one fibroids is the size of a 12-15 week pregnancy, but that she was more concerned with the thickness of my endormetrial (sp?) layer. She said it was over 1-1/2" thick and that even though my periods were sometimes over 90 days apart, it should still not be that thick. She did a biopsy last Friday, February 10th. She said we will decide what to do when she is sure what is causing the thickness, but it looks like I will be having a TVH-BSO soon.
Now, the interesting part...on Friday before I went in for my biopsy, a letter from my old doctor arrived. In it, she stated that she was encouraged by the ultrasound results, that the fibroids were quite small and that she thought I should go to a GI doctor. She did not address the endometrial issue at all. My new doctor was dumbstruck.
Any way, sorry to go on and on. Looks like everything is really happening, which is scary!! I have said for a long time "I just want to take everything out!". Now that that is a possibility, wow!!
Talk to everyone soon.
Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2006, 11:01 AM

HI Tammy!
Wow! I can't believe those dr's are so far apart in their diagnosis!

I am glad you are deciding to stick with the new dr. It sounds like you definitely are making the right decision. My endometrial lining is thickened too. Much more so than what is expected. My dr said that is a sign of adenomyosis. I am having a partial abdominal hyst in march. They are leaving at least one ovary and my cervix. I am also having repairs done (bladder and rectocele).
welcome! Keep us posted on how the tests go! Hugs Raymo
Unread 02-13-2006, 11:19 AM

Interesting! For my own piece of mind, I would seek a third opinion, just to confirm a diagnoses. I hope you and your dr(s) are able to find the right treatment for you situation! Best wishes to you! in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2006, 11:30 AM

I'm shocked too by the two totally different opinions from the two doctors. I would definately go with the one that you feel most comfortable with. It sounds like you trust the second doctor more. You really have to trust your gut feelings on stuff like this. The fact that the first doctor didn't get back to you when they said that they would is kind of disconcerting too. It took me a long time to find the right doctor too when I started going through everything. My first doctors were just telling me I was going through a normal change for a 30 yr old, that it was normal to have a period every two weeks. Come to find out I had severe adeno and endo and one of my tubes were twisted.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 02-13-2006, 12:11 PM

Thank you everyone. This site is just the best! I feel so much support and feel so informed, which is a HUGE help right now!!
I am sticking with my new doctor. I felt an immediate rapport with her. She is unhurried and her qualifications are top notch. Like I said, I have been feeling pretty frustrated with my old doctor for quite some time. She gave me the impression more than once that things were in my head. She is younger than me, maybe that has something to do with it! I am 47, by the way, I forgot to mention that.
Again, thanks for replying. Everyone here makes this a much less scary ride.
Tammy
Unread 02-13-2006, 02:24 PM

I am 45, had a TAH-BSO two weeks ago, and am recovering well. When I first went to the doctor with pain, I was told that it was my gallbladder, and that I had a stone and it needed to come out. My gut feeling was that it was more ovarian, and no one would listen to me, as the ultrasound done confirmed a gallstone. I went to a different doc who palpated a mass as well, and suggested I get a CT scan. I did not like her or the system I was in, so I waited three weeks for our new insurance to become effective, and changed docs and hospital. I LOVE my new doctor. She examined me, had me go straight for a CT scan, mammogram, and major bloodwork-mainly for tumor markers. Turns out I had a 25 cm tumor (!!) which turned out to be benign, and had it removed, as well as the gallbladder, uterus and ovaries. The whole process was huge, and I still get teary eyed at times when I think about what I have been through. The best part, though, is that I followed my gut, found a doctor I respect and who respects me, and faced my fears to go on with the procedure. It was amazing to hear my doctor yelling "no cancer!" as I was waking up. Just think...if all I had done was the gallbladder, I would be facing another procedure, as well as another recovery. Listen to your inner voice-that is why you have it.

Best wishes to you for a successful surgery and speedy recovery,

Judy
Unread 02-13-2006, 02:44 PM

I understand that you feel comfortable and confident with your new doctor, but I have to agree with Weiser that in a case such as this, with two very different opinions, a third is definitely in order.
Unread 02-13-2006, 03:30 PM

Hi Tammy. WOWIE What a shocker to hear such widely differing opinions eh? I'd be blown away too! My endometrial lining was about that thick as well, despite the fact that I was having very heavy and nearly constant bleeding by the time I got the word that I was in trouble.

I get the impression from your posts here in this thread that you really WANT to get rid of it all and are grateful for the chance to make it happen. I empathize with those feelings, as I had them for years but never spoke them aloud, as best as I can remember.

In my case, by the time it got to the point of talking surgery, I didn't have any options. You still *might* have some options left. While your decision, after reviewing the options, may very well be the same as it is now, I have to agree with the others that at the point in your journey, it's only wise to review all the possibilities while you still can.

Even if you just talk this over one more time with your new doc and see what she has to say about the options, that's better than just moving forward without any more consideration. I mean, even once I was in the OR and before I went under, my surgeon got with me one more time and asked, "Are you really absolutely CERTAIN you don't want me to salvage anything that is salvageable? I might find that you could keep one ovary or your cervix. While it would be a surprise, it wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised."

My response was "FOR.GET.IT." There was no way on earth I was gonna risk needing another procedure, because for me surgery is a mega problem due to other medical complications. And as it turned out, there was nothing salvageable anyway.

As long as the surgery isn't an emergency, you have time to consider options right up to the very last moment. It's a permanent step, a permanent change, and so it's nothing to sneeze at.

If, once you're really certain you've done all the thinking and considering you need to do, this is *the* decision, then you can march forward with confidence into the new land of Hyster . It might feel more like a whole new world than just a new country, indeed!

I'm glad you found this place. It was a Godsend to me from day one. I haven't dropped by for some time, till I received a birthday card today that reminded to come back.
Unread 02-13-2006, 07:52 PM

I'm having a similar experience. My gyno suggested surgery then had a nurse call today to say my pap came back with "endometrial cells" on my cervix. She said the Dr. wants to do an endometrial biopsy. Why would I do that if I'm going to have my uterus removed anyway? Every time I think I've made a decision something else happens to add to the confusion. I know I have adeno. Is that the reason for endometrial cells? Who knows! I'm waiting to get in with another doctor to get another opinion and hopefully more understandable explanations. It's hard when I'm so ready to stop the pain and bleeding. But, another month will be worth feeling like I'm making a more informed decision. Sorry for the rambling...this site seems to be a place I can just rant if I need to.
Karen
Unread 02-13-2006, 08:15 PM

tjriowa, If you had the ultrasound done at a hospital you should be able to get the report, I have done this and I am one that feels better when I see it in black and white. That way you can see what the report says.
Since both Dr.s were so far apart you ma want to take that report to a 3rd Dr. to review it. May even your primary care physician (GP). I wish you the best in your decision making. I know it took me over a year to finally decide that I could not live with this pain anymore. By the way my first Gyn. did not believe me either and just offered antidepressents. New Dr. did lapright away and found many problems as you can see from my signature line. I kept asking DR. #1 if it might be endo since it seems to be in my family. she said no I was too old for it. So I do believe in 2nd and even 3rd opinions if necessary.

Just keep coming back here, there are so many terrific women willing to share their experiences.

Sister3 ~ How awesome that you stuck with your gut feelings and pushed on. This is what I had to do. Who knows our bodies better than we do?? Glad to hear your recovery is going well. Your DR. sounds wonderful!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register