Large Belly Pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Large Belly Pre-op Large Belly Pre-op

Unread 09-27-2007, 06:34 AM
Large Belly Pre-op

I've been reading posts of enlarged uterus/fibroids. I have what appears to me like a pregnancy belly that starts just below my ribcage. I am overweight, but this reminds me of the taut pregnancy belly. I'm due for a LAVH Oct 8th, am beginning to wonder if my uterus is enlarged. Mine is prolapsed, but curls backward making it very hard during a pelvic to examine.

No Dr. has told me it was enlarged or had fibroids, although the latter runs in the family. Can the Dr. tell during a pelvic if you have these problems? I'm wondering if the LAVH will turn into a TAH when they get in there.

If anyone can relate, please respond.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Large Belly Pre-op

I had a large belly (and still do due to swelly belly) beforehand. I thought it was "just all me". In fact it was uncomfortable to bend over to tie my shoes. When I went in for my yearly pap she found my uterus was enlarged but sent me a few days later for a vaginal, abdomen, and pelvic ultrasounds. I don't think a physician can tell if you have fibroids without have a CAT or ultrasound test.

Personally I would ask for more testing to be done, to find out for sure what is going on. I would also ask for an endometrial biopsy (not real pleasant) but tolerable.

My physician did a TAH due to the size and location of my uterus and fibroid. I know some doctor's will do a LAVH with an enlarged uterus - each case is different.
Unread 09-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Large Belly Pre-op

It very well could be enlarged. My doctor told me that mine was and was pushing other organs up. I know that 'under the rib cage' feeling. I am looking forward to not feeling so 'full'. I told the doctor that I always feel pregnant and she said that my uterus was at least four times bigger than it should be so that would be the cause of it. I hope that I can get a flat stomach again when it is over. Best wishes to you Inthegarden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Large Belly Pre-op

Dear Inthegarden:

Not only could my doctor tell from a pelvic exam that I had fibroids, but even before he examined me, while I was lying on the table, he could see that I had fibroids and they were huge. That's how large my stomach is.

That certainly impressed me when after having an ultrasound it was discovered I had at least 6 of them totaling the size of a 20 week preganancy. I'm scheduled for a TAH on Oct 15th and I could not be more ready . I am so uncomfortable and my belly is huge.

If I were you, I would call the doctor to ask about the possibility of fibroids. They can definitely tell from an internal exam whether or not you have any. I know this, because 18 years ago one was found during a routine exam. I had it removed without having my uterus removed (called myomectomy). Unfortunately, what I did not know is that they grow back. So, if you don't have your uterus removed, it can happen again. Unfortunately, in my case they grew back and given my age (50) and the fact that there are so many of them, my only option is TAH.

But, you may have options you don't know about. Which is why it's important to talk to you doctor. Or go for a 2nd opionion if you don't get the answers you need.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress...

Unread 09-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Large Belly Pre-op

I guess what I meant to say is my GP was pretty certain that I had a fibroid (s) by just examining me but she wanted to be certain that is what it was.

Once I knew what I was feeling I could feel my uterus as well as the fibroid. When I had an empty tummy and bowel, you could make out the fibroid. The ultrasound showed my fibroid was much smaller than it turned out to be when it was removed. (The tech and doctor both thought about cantelope sized and it was a volleyball size)
Unread 09-28-2007, 03:55 AM
Large Belly Pre-op

Thanks for your responses Kellnette, Slipperlady and Jacksonmarie. I plan to investigate and get more answers. It's reassuring to hear from you.
Unread 09-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Large pre-op belly culprits

Inthegarden,

Another culprit at times can be andenomyosis, which can be harder to detect especially if it is deep into the muscule tissue. It can also look like fibroids on an untrasound. They can't really tell until they take the girly bit out and check it microscopically. It makes the uterus spongey with little lakes of blood in the myometrium (mucsle tissue) that can't escape well during your period.

I had andeno, endo, fibroids and a prolapse. I would literally gain 10 pounds before my periods and bleed for 14 to 28 days with a couple weeks in between of no bleeding. My belly would get as you described. It was pretty painful. Actually, my post op recovery pain is less than I had been feeling prior to sugery. However, even though I lost 10 pounds post op, with the swelly belly some of my clothes are tight or impossible to put on. On the bright side when it all goes down I hope for a surprise!

With all the swelly culprits pre-op I was also experiencing pressure on my bladder and colon. These problems have thankfully lessened since the surgery. The doc told me depending on the situation it could go any way. I know some of our sisters have not been as lucky with that.

Any TVH or LTVH can turn into a TAH depending on the situation, but I think the docs have a pretty good idea if the uterus is loose enough and fibroids are small enough to take out vaginally. I was also nervous about that. Thankfully, my sugery went well. I joked with my doc that with the prolapse the girly bit was done and trying to escape on her own any ways, so we just helped her get out and on her way.

Agape, peace and blessings to you!!

Cathy

_
Unread 09-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Large Belly Pre-op

Cathy,

In reading procedures sisters had I had never known what adeno. was. I appreciated you explaining.

I've never had the type of bleeding you described, but in February felt such pressure with the prego belly they suspected heart problems & put me thru a bunch of tests (PTL no probs) but in all the tests, I've not (since 17 yr/ago pregnancy) had an ultrasound on my girly bits. I'm suspecting with all the pressure up and all the prolapse down, something's big in there. I look forward to getting it out!! Fibrocystic disease runs in my fam. My mom had a hyst. at 40, my sis has infertility, eldest daughter has PCOS, I know I have breast fibro/cysts. It will be very interesting to hear what is found!

Thanks for your response. I see you recently had your TVH - how is recovery going?

Praying for you! God is Faithful!
Unread 10-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Large Belly Pre-op

BEV,

Thanks for asking how it is going. My recovery is going well, just the normal issues like fatigue, swelly belly etc.. Didn't realize how much my girl problems were effecting me before the surgery until recently. The symptoms just all crept up on me over the years until they could no longer be ignored. I am so glad I went through with the surgery (didn't like the alternative of my uterus running my life). I have several friends who have blazed the trail over the past year or two and tell me it just gets better and better for them in their recovery.

I'm going to the doctor today because I'm pretty sure I have a bladder infection. It seems pretty common post op. I had one before surgery and was told the antibiotics I got in the hospital should do the trick, but maybe there was still a little lerking bacteria that have multiplied. I drink cranberry and pomegranet juice regularly so it helps keep things at bay.

Wishing you all the best for your surgery and recovery. I will say a prayer for you on the 8th. I will be returning to work on your surgery day so it will be a milestone day for us both.

Agape, peace and blessings to you!!!

Cathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register