This might be a silly question but.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

This might be a silly question but.. This might be a silly question but..

Unread 01-05-2003, 03:42 PM
This might be a silly question but..

My sister is having an Abdominal Hysterectomy on tuesday(scared to death). In reading the posts I'm seeing alot of vertical incisions. Is this standard? She is under the impression that its going to be horizontal. We never asked her doctor this question. If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it. She has many fibroids, acute bleeding and anemia. thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2003, 03:52 PM

There is no such thing as a silly question. No matter what question you ask you can be sure that someone else is also wondering, and you have helped them out too!

Maybe lately there have been more vertical incisions, but it seems like most DR's try the horizontol, or bikini cut.

It also depends on the size and position of the uterus, and any previous abdominal surgeries. The only way to know for sure what is planned is to call the DR. But even if one type is planned, depending on what may be found during surgery, it could be changed to the other type.

Best wishes to your sister! The waiting really is the hardest part!
Unread 01-05-2003, 03:52 PM
hi

i was told mine would be from my belly button to my pubic bone, bacause there are less arteries there and less chance of excess bleeding. had the same cut with my c section. no bikini line for me :O( but i think it really depends on the doctor and the circumstances
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2003, 04:23 PM

No question is silly here!

I had a vertical because of a cancer concern & my dr said she would be able to get a better look around that way. It was not decided until I was on my way to OR.

It really does depend on the dr & circumstances. She should ask her dr about her specific surgery.

s to you & your sis!
Unread 01-05-2003, 06:18 PM

I was scheduled for a LAVH/BSO, but had to be converted to an abdominal because of the large size of the uterus. I had about an 8" bikini (horizontal) incision. As others have said, it depends on many factors as to what type of incision is used. Good luck to your sister. She is lucky to have a caring sister like you!!
Unread 01-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Bikini or vertical cut

I had a bikini cut. It's long, about 6 or seven inches but not very painful. I'm beginning to think from what I read around here that bikini cuts are easier to recover from at least initially. Not as much problem with pants and undies rubbing the incision. Easier to bend over. I'd be interested to hear what others think
Unread 01-05-2003, 07:09 PM

I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO on 1/28. Dr. said he would be doing a horizontal cut (even though I have a vertical scar from 2 c-sections). I asked why and he said that the body tends to heal better (i.e. more natural for body to mend together with the horizontal, not as much pulling as with a vertical).

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register