Pre op not happy with Dr. answers - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre op not happy with Dr. answers Pre op not happy with Dr. answers

Unread 03-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Pre op not happy with Dr. answers

I know exactly what you mean! I found a very wonderful doctor that understood what I was going through (now you are asking)...only he made it very simple: He never takes ovaries unless they are diseased (the female doctor I had at first was saying the same as your doctor: "why would you consider keeping them?".)..she has since retired "early". The doctor that I selected to do the surgery has done over 2000 of them and when I went to my pre op meeting with him he said: "bottom line, rebecca, what are your concerns?" and I told him I only had two: (1) keep my ovaries and (2) not be put under...and he laughed and said, "I never take them unless it's needed and I don't put my patients under.. we do it via spinal" WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MADE!!! All my concerns were validated in a matter of 30 seconds! He went on to explain that through the spinal it is purely patient comfort (no pain for 24 hours...no morphine pump and no sickness due to the morphine)..and with the ovaries he explained that they still produce needed hormones..even after 50. I was 42 and now at 44...(with one ovary..one was crushed by the large fibroid)..it's ticking along just fine...no hormones needed, no hotflases, nothing but freedom and joy!!!

I wanted to tell you all this to say... "Go with what you ALREADY know!" As for the cervix, mine was taken and there has been no problems!

Lots and Lots of Hugs..find a doctor that will listen..and go with what you already know and in my experience..it was the male doctor that had the best advice and not the original female ob/gyn PS - sometimes I think they may get more money for the number of parts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2003, 06:03 PM

I know what you mean....I would swear they get paid per part they take out - the way they act. I think they just want to assembly line it and not have to think about what each person wants. It is easier to take it all I guess. It really threw me when the doc asked why I would want to keep the ovaries and cervix...I think the question should be why not keep them?
Unread 03-09-2003, 08:27 PM
I have learned one true thing ...

through this process. When they say "You are not a candidate for......" what they mean is they are not qualified to do what you want. I had to make effort and get the best most leading edge surgery with the least impact on me. Having a hysterectomy should not be punishment. The technology is out there. You are worth it. Having a hysterectomy is not usually immenently life threatening meaning you have time to find out for yourself what Like just about everyone else on this website I went through years and years of pain and .....what's a few weeks more. It took me almost 5 months but I found the right person at the right time.
Unread 03-09-2003, 09:31 PM

My first doctor called me over the phone to tell me I needed a hysterectomy for precervical cancer. NO warning whatsoever, and very unfeeling. I got recommendations for a different doctor, actually changed my insurance so I could see her. I am extremely happy with my decision. If you are not feeling comfortable with your doc, then you won't recover well. Insist on answers sooner, if the doc won't do that for you then its' time to consider a change or second opinion.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register