going through hys alone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

going through hys alone going through hys alone

Unread 09-12-2005, 12:28 PM
going through hys alone

i am scheduled to have my hys. on 9/19...i will be by myself at the hospital and when i do come home i will not have anyone to help me and i have three children ages,14,4,1...are there any suggestions as to what i can try to do to keep my younger children from running up to me or grabbing onto me?my youngest is way to little to understand and my 14year old is in school all day.help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2005, 12:32 PM
going through hys alone

I explained to me 11yr old and 5 yr old that my belly was sore and I also guarded it when the 5 yr old came running up--just in case. But I must say they did well. I had to come home with a catheter due to my bladder being knicked so that keep them away for a couple of days because they were afraid of the catheter.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

GA
Unread 09-12-2005, 01:03 PM
going through hys alone

I'm sorry that your going through this alone. I have children at about the same ages as you (14, 10, 3 1/2 & 18 months). It's going to be quite a challenge with the younger two & I'm not looking forward to it either. I can't imagine not having any help at all!!!!!!!! The 4 yr old will be ok but I'm worried about the 1 yr old because they are so demanding & you won't be able to pick up your baby. We need to figure something out to help you!!! Anybody here have any ideas on how to help this lady?!!!!! I do have one suggestion...I'll try to send you a private message. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2005, 01:09 PM
going through hys alone

thank you,i would appreciate any suggestions...my 1 yr old is whom i am worried about,he is a demanding little guy and likes to hug my leg and have me carry him around on my foot...babies get amazed over everything.i suggested using a walker to my dr. just for support/balance and he did not think it was such a good idea.
Unread 09-12-2005, 01:18 PM
going through hys alone

I can totally relate to you. My 18 month old little boy does the same thing and it's so annoying because he just cries and cries until I pick him up. It drives me crazy!!!!!!!!! I'm hoping that some other sisters here have some more suggestions to help you!
Unread 09-12-2005, 01:18 PM
going through hys alone

I am sorry you are going through this alone. Just to be sure you have- TELL SOMEONE ABOUT THIS ! I went through the normal feelings- upset, embarrassing, crying (still do alot of that) and feeling alone even though I have a wonderful support system. I got brave and sent out an email to some of my closest friends and made sure it went to the ones I knew had a hyst. The women to opened up to me to share their experience all went through this without so much as a peep and yet, all of them told me they were glad to help me out and answer Qs and wished someone had been doing that for them. I stood the chance of EVERYONE knowing what was done to me and the talk that would go on about it but I am deaf and that is a blessing in a way. I have mega emotional feelings about all this that I got help from my Dr about. Thank God for my DH and our two boys (16 and 13) who are VERY supportive and caring to the hilt. But some others were not. Like people who just walk past you and bump into you or those who forget you are so sore right now.
Hint- get a little soft, light pillow and cover it with your fave material or a little pillow case and carry it around with you. Not only can you sit on it when there are no soft chairs around, but you can use it for between the vehicle seatbelt, and also to shield your tummy all the time. The HS has one on their store site but our hospital gives out their own and I finally took about ten minutes to sew a cover for it when DH said it needed one because it has become my best pal. He and the boys run to get it for me and it is ALWAYS near me to use for anything when the tummy is sore. I had LAVH on June 15, but have complications and still have sore belly (they are looking into that now) and told my Dr this morning that my pillow is my best friend right now. I have had comments from people saying it is cute (I chose a country color that I just happened to have just the right amount leftover from other projects- like God had it intended for this purpose long ago or something because it just exactly fit.)
I still sit on a pillow to do anything and if anyone laughs, too bad. I still hurt and I can't help it. My boys are older and ALOT more help than I ever thought they would be. Our 13 yr old "came into his own" during this summer. So let your oldest one take over some things ! I would have NEVER let them do ALOT of the things they did but our older son got his dl one week before my surgery. Now HE is MY taxi ! And he really took over. Our younger one got taller than me this summer while I was down most of the time. And they both really took on responsibilty that I thought they never would ! They have been IMMENSELY helpful to Mom and protective and have always been loving and good boys, but WOW- I really got blessed by letting them grow up and do things for themselves.... and ME.
Let your older ones help you by being honest with them about what is going to happen. My sons will learn from this and how hard it was for me. They will use it when it comes to their own wives one day and those two women will be MOST BLESSED because of that. Our boys have learned alot of things about women this summer that have nothing to do with sex. But EVERYTHING to do with love and caring for someone and the meaning of it.
God Bless you as you go through this and I will be thinking of you !
Unread 09-12-2005, 01:29 PM
going through hys alone

OMG!!!! I am going through the same thing. I am getting my hyst. on the 22nd and I have a 9 mth old, a 3 yr old and a 4 yr old and my DH works from about 1:00 pm till 2 or 3 am. I am having a hard time figuring out what I am going to do too. I guess I am going to have to premake some food that I can just warm up and block off an area in my house so I can watch them at all times. I know everything will work out for you and I will keep you in my prayers......
Good Luck and Lots of Love and GREAT BIG s
Unread 09-12-2005, 01:30 PM
going through hys alone

thank you all for your kind words i really do appreciate.
i deep down inside know (at least hope) that things will go far better than i am imagining them now....i am planning a terrific weekend with my children before i have my surgery..i am hoping that by keeping busy time will go by faster without me getting to nervous.
Unread 09-12-2005, 01:34 PM
going through hys alone

Bernicelynne,

Sweetie, I am so sorry to hear that you will not have anyone with you at the hospital or when you first come home. I am not trying to pry-but do you have someone to drive you home from the hospital? You will not be able to drive. Who will take care of your kiddos while you are at the hospital? My daughter was very young when I had my hyst-though not as young as your youngest. You really need to protect your belly-always have a pillow ready! If you belong to a church, maybe there are people at church who could come in and help? If not, I know that I found very quickly that there were other Hystersisters in my area when I was about to go in for my surgery who vounteered to come see me at the hospital or give me a ride home and/or help with anything I needed. You may want to check and see in the Neighborhoods section of the forums if there are any Sisters nearby. While I am NOT abdicating keeping your 14 year old out of school, you may want to see if maybe you could, for atleast the first day you are going to be home-you could get his/her work ahead of time and get it excused with the school in advance-that way, when you DO get home, you will be able to have a little help, especially that first day. There may be some support organizations in your area that you are not aware of, also...ask your Gyn if he/she knows of any. Sometimes, you'll be surprised by the resources available. Please feel free to PM me, anytime, for friendship, too...I only wish I lived close by so I could help you out!

Christy
Unread 09-12-2005, 01:41 PM
thank you

i am going to drive to hosp. but unsure yet as to how i will get home, but i will get everything figured out before mon. i am planning on doing the usual pre-cooking and purchasing quick foods for the children.i am going to go to church and see if there may be abyone who is willing to help a little...granted that i am new here and do not know anyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register