food options at the castle? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

food options at the castle? food options at the castle?

Unread 09-09-2008, 05:39 AM
food options at the castle?

davinci~

What a blessing you are! Thank you for helping relieve my anxiety!! (I bet that latte was HEAVEN!)

I know that to some people, this subject seems like a silly thing to worry over. There's another thread on here about "petty questions about pillows", that SOOO isn't petty! Every little thing that can be done BEFORE an operation to make sure that things go smoothly afterwards is just as important as the seemingly "bigger" issues.

I've had several serious operations in my lifetime and I've discovered that the better prepared you are, in all aspects, the less stress there is post-op and the sooner you can recover and feel like yourself again.

Thanks so much for making me feel more assured! You rock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2008, 10:09 AM

After surgery the nurses told me that they were more concerned with me getting fluids in - even plain water - and were not overly worried at all with what I did or did not eat. The best way to put your mind at rest, Feyleona would be to call your hospital and ask them. I'm betting they won't mind you bringing in your own snacks etc... Good luck to you and I hope you get your questions answered. I agree - whatever you can do to put your mind at ease is a good thing!
Unread 09-09-2008, 12:43 PM

kf ~

You're probably absolutely right - I am going to talk to my doctor when I see him again. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2008, 04:24 PM

I can vaguely remember getting a food tray with some liquids and jello the evening after my morning surgery. Although I didn't have an appetite, I did try. The broth was too salty and the jello and juices were too sweet. Normally, I am a salt and sweet lover. Also, when I was able to eat solids, my castle offered choices for the next day's meals. I didn't really eat much. Eating, healthily or not, wasn't top priority. By the time I got home (after 3+ days), my appetite had returned. Check with the castle to see if they have vegan meal choices. If not, check with your doc to see what he/she recommends you do.

Drink lots of liquids, starting with the ice chips. You probably won't have to be reminded of that; I was incredibly dry mouthed. On that note, don't forget to pack some lip balm!

Best wishes!
Unread 09-10-2008, 12:17 AM

Cheerful~

That dry mouth is AWFUL!! That, and how yucky my throat always feels after intubation, make the ice chips such a blessing!! I am always ravenous after I come out of anesthesia... it doesn't seem to matter what I've gone under for. My stomach never gives up, never gives in!

Being treated in a military hospital really limits my choices about things like food. If you say vegan, they say, "What?!?"

Thanks for the advice!
Unread 09-17-2008, 05:45 PM

Me too, vegan! And I've got your exact same concerns...

Feyleona - how did things go for you? Was a dietician able to define what you should have available?

I had my pre-op at the hospital today. I've got the dietician's number so I can call to discuss tomorrow. The last thing I wanna do is stress about what I eat, so I'm really, really hoping they'll be able to say "a soft diet is _" and then I'll be able to prep my own before hand.
Unread 09-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Glad you posted this question

I have chosen to follow a vegan diet after my surgery as well. I have read numerous journal articles about the benefits of a proper vegan diet that helps naturally balance hormones, increases energy and controls weight. I just assumed I would have to eat whatever they told me when in the hospital, but would return to my lifestyle choice when I get home. Thanks for posting this.
Unread 09-22-2008, 08:18 AM

I'm willing to compromise with some things - the medical equipment and such. It's a sad fact of life that it is impossible to be entirely vegan. However, for food, since vegan options are so readily available, I see no need to compromise my ethics and sense of well being.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register