new post hyst...question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new post hyst...question new post hyst...question

Unread 03-22-2007, 11:40 PM
new post hyst...question

I am 44, just had a hysterectomy on 3/12/07....I am still pretty sore abdominally(had laproscopic hysterectomy)..I have not been able to sleep more than 1-2 hours a night since my surgery and in the last few days have gotten kind of teary too....I am laso absolutely exhausted all the time..is all of this normal? especially the not sleeping? Thanks--I appreciate all input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2007, 11:58 PM
new post hyst...question

It's very normal to feel restless after surgery. For me it was difficult to find a comfortable position. Every time I would fall asleep I would move out of my comfortable position and be wake in discomfort until I found another one. This went on for almost the first two weeks post-op.

My DH has been a dream and set up the air mattress in our bedroom so he won't disturb what slumber I get. Even though I've asked him to join me in bed he says I need my rest. I think he's afraid he's going to hurt me...bless his heart.

You can try drinking Sleepy Time Tea about an hour before bedtime. It helps me to relax.

Being exhausted is quite normal. Your body has been through a major surgery. It will take time to recuperate from this very traumatic surgery. As my doctor says, "In time you will feel like a new woman, enjoy your rest."
Unread 03-23-2007, 12:02 AM
new post hyst...question

Hi, I have been through everything you are going through. I think its the norm, almost everyone i've talked to on here has had basically the same after surgery symptoms. The sleeping or lack of, is really a pain. I believe its our hormones or lack of. Are you on hrt? If not you may want to talk to your dr. and he/she can help you out with some of your symptoms. I am almost 3 months post op, and I still have sleep problems. It will even out soon hopefully, if not your doc may want to put you on something to help with that too. Good luck and remember to rest and pamper yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2007, 12:11 AM
another question

HI--Thanks for your response to my first post..it helps a lot...another thing that is getting to me is sometimes I feel like I am different than I was before my surgery---I know that physically I am different, but I am talking about feeling like I am a different ME than i was, like I am a different person.....does this sound odd??
Unread 03-23-2007, 12:20 AM
new post hyst...question

Doesn't sound odd at all! We've had something dramatic happen to our bodies that has caused a void in many of us. I find it difficult at times to imagine part of my womanhood being gone. I wonder if I'll be back to normal after the healing process is over. Although I really don't know what normal is anymore since I've been troubled with womanly problems for the past twenty-two years. I'm hoping once I'm healthy again I can start enjoying life instead of waiting for the next onset of exhaustion and pain.

Unread 03-23-2007, 03:21 AM
new post hyst...question

You may find that feeling of being "different" after surgery is due to the effects of anaesthetic. I am starting to feel like my old self again now, but I remember that feeling you describe, in the first few weeks. A nurse friend tells me it takes a long time for the anaesthetic effects to leave the body. Hopefully your sleep patterns will return to normal soon. I took a low dose Melatonin in first couple of weeks which seemed to help (you may need to check with Dr if taking other meds). Otherwise I managed to nap during the day - a habit I think I will find hard to give up!
I hope you start to feel better soon.
MP

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register