post-op airplane flying advice please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post-op airplane flying advice please post-op airplane flying advice please

Unread 06-30-2003, 12:42 PM
post-op airplane flying advice please

Hi ladies. I'm scheduled for the castle on July 14. I've got my fingers crossed for a TVH. I'm moving to Tokyo sometime in September or October and it's been suggested that I make a preliminary visit before then. I'm thinking 6 weeks post-op with DH doing the baggage handling. I saw a posting about a donut pillow and something else (which I didn't recognize) being the only carry-on necessities. Anyone have any other suggestions? I intend to request an aisle seat, so I can get up and walk, and I'll probably insist on business class.

I'm so glad I found this site. What a tremendous help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2003, 02:07 PM

(((((((Star))))))))),

It sounds like you have it thought out.

The donut, the walking and dh carrying the luggage.

Make sure to do the frequent walking and move your legs around while sitting too.

Make sure to get the ok from your DR. too!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great trip, sounds exciting to start your new life with a big adventure.

Best wishes,

Pamcat
Unread 06-30-2003, 02:07 PM

I'm getting ready for an 8 hour flight to France to visit my son. Like you, I'm getting an aisle seat. I'm checking everything but my handbag because I do not want to have to lift anything over my head and stretch to reach the overhead bins. I am going to ask if I can board with the first passengers because I am nervous about being hit with luggage, elbows, etc. Some sisters take their tummy pillow, but I'm just going to wear my seatbelt loosely (of course you won't have an incision like I do).
You'll be fine; do be sure to get up and walk, and don't be afraid to ask for any special considerations if you think you need them.
Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2003, 07:56 AM

Make sure you get up and walk every hour or two and do foot pumps every 15 minutes. Blood clots can form in our large veins, especially the legs, with inactivity and this has become an increasing problem with long flights. Any one post op is already somewhat at a risk even at 6 weeks so that is why I suggest the frequent walks and foot pumps (just pointing your toes down and all the way up alternately for about 5-10 times every 15 minutes helps circulate the blood). This is one of the reasons you are gotten up to walk in the castle so quickly, to help prevent these. Definitely talk this over with your doctor too.
Unread 07-01-2003, 09:18 AM

I wouldn't do it at 6 weeks post-op. I'm almost 8 weeks post-op now - after a WONDERFUL recovery - and just now could probably handle a trip that long. Like everyone else said, the risk of blood clots is HUGE, among other things.

My biggest concern is every surgery and recovery is different. You don't know how yours will go. Don't get locked into purchasing expensive airline tickets until you have a better idea how things are going for you. Even small things can come up. For instance, at 8-weeks I'm still fooling around with my HRT dose. I'd hate to be far from my DR and trying to work this out.
Unread 07-01-2003, 12:23 PM

I'm with Hepcat. I'd wait till post-op and see how you're doing before buying the tickets. Most likely you'll be fine, if only uncomfortable, for the flight. But you just don't know how you'll feel, really.

I flew this weekend for the first time at 7 1/2 weeks post-op, short 1 1/4 hour flight. I was feeling pretty uncomfortable by the end of the flight, even with an aisle seat and getting up to walk the aisles. Not terrible, but twingy. Fortunately, I was visiting family, so when I got to their house, I threw off my traveling clothes, into my jammies and stayed on the couch for the rest of the night.
Unread 07-01-2003, 04:50 PM
I lived in Tokyo a few years ago

Hajimema****e! Dozo yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

Where will you fly to Tokyo from? I made the SFO / Narita round trip so many times that my passport has extra pages. It's not only a long flight, but it's another 1 to 2 hours from the airport to wherever you're going in the city. And it's VERY VERY hot in August and September. That was the absolute worst time of the year as far as I was concerned. Email me if you'd like to learn a few things about expat life in Tokyo. It's a fascinating city but I'll admit that the first month or so was very difficult.

I think you should plan to let your husband do the look-see trip and choose a residence. Or go RIGHT NOW if you can and find housing. The other possibility is to have your company put you up in a hotel until you find a suitable house. We had quite a few expat friends who didn't have their housing situation settled when they moved. It can be difficult to find a place for a Sept/Oct move-in (especially if you're bringing children and want to be near one of the international schools) if you wait a lot longer.

We only had 6 houses to look at when we went on our pre-move trip in mid-1997, which was after the bubble burst but before it completely deflated like it has now. Please feel free to contact me via email about Tokyo neighborhoods and schools.

By the way, make the company pay for business class on EVERY trip if at all possible. Sometimes you can have that written into your contract, depending on the company that is sending you over.

I loved living in Tokyo, by the way. There's a lot I miss about it, though I also love my home in California. Nihongo o benkyo ****e imasu ka?
Unread 07-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks, ladies

Thanks for the info, ladies. I did find out today that the actual move to Tokyo probably won't be until October or later, which gives me more time before any flying. I shouldn't have to commit until I see the Dr post-op.
I just realized that recovery may be a good enough reason for the new boss to let me out of the preliminary trip, which I don't really want to go on anyway.
I had blood clots 20+ years ago, so I'll be wearing the lovely support stockings when I do fly and checking with my hematologist tomorrow about the surgery and the flying. Don't know why I didn't think of him before.
I'm going to hit DH up for a stop in Hawaii (a late 25th anniv. celebration) on whatever first trip to Tokyo I make. Walking the beach would be excellent therapy, right?
Unread 07-02-2003, 07:58 AM

At 5 weeks post now and just came back from St thomas-4 hour plane trip. Family helpped with luggage and everything was great!! Feel even more relaxed and recuperated now. Sure the sun and sand help the healling process lol. Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register