Any diabetics here? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any diabetics here? Any diabetics here?

Unread 10-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Any diabetics here?

I thought I would ask because I'm not finding a lot of information on this. I'm diabetic. Diagnosised a year ago. Got it under control with oral meds. Anyone have any experience with having these surgeries with diabetes? I also have thyroid and BP issues all under control with oral meds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Re: Any diabetics here?

Ferrdie
Sorry you haven't received a response so far. I have seen other posts here from women with diabetes. Try typing "diabetes" in the search bar here on the hystersister site and it will show threads/articles on the subject.

I'm also hoping that my response will "bump" your thread back to the top of the list so more women can see it and respond!

Always make sure your doctor is aware of these pre-existing medical conditions and ask for feedback on how they can affect your surgery/recovery
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:44 AM

I am prediabetic and take an oral med. I was wondering the same thing about how it may affect my recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2012, 12:39 PM

Hi, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, but I'm not on any meds yet. My doctor has given me a little more time to get it under control with diet and exercise. I also take oral meds for high blood pressure. My surgery has changed my health for the bettter. I don't think that my recovery was effected negatively by the diabetes. I understand that sometimes healing is a little slower with diabetes, but that was not my experience. There was a slight difference in my levels when I wasn't as active. When I 1st was checked in Nov, my sugar level was 226( no exercise, no diet control). In Feb, it was 142; with exercise and diet control. March I had my surgery, not as active because I was healing, it was 144. In Aug; with diet change and exercise it was 106 and I had lost 14 lbs. My bp is controlled.

During your recovery keep your diet regime, of course watch your carbs, walk and take your meds. Make sure that your surgeon is aware of your diabetes and when you do your pre op make sure they are aware of all meds that you are taking as well.

We all heal differently so be patient with yours and when and if needed let your doctor know of any concerns that you have.
I hope that this helped a little. Hopefully some others can help you a little more

Lots of ((HUGS)) to you
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the bump. I'll check out the search option
Unread 11-07-2012, 01:04 PM

Diabetic here. Diagnosed year ago....A1c at 6.7. Hanging at 6.2 with meds now. Thyroid issues, bp controlled by diuretics. I've been told it shouldn't be too far off from normal, butI will need to check my sugars and stay on top of my diet strictly. Sometimes surgery and stress can thrown your levels way out of whack. In September I had bronchitis, and one day out of the blue my blood sugar shot up to 236....Dr explained fever, or just fighting an infection can trigger wide swings, high or low. Talk to your dr, and have a game plan in place. Good luck!
Unread 11-08-2012, 05:03 AM

Daughter of a diabetic (insulin dependent) here. She too had a hysterectomy at a young age and her diabetes didn't affect her recovery time. Her sugar levels came up a bit so she used more insulin and all was fine. Just be prepared for any spikes in your glucose levels so do more testing for sure. Otherwise you should be fine. My mom's experience with diabetes has always been that the more under control it is the less swings in blood sugar levels all together. Your diabetes is under control so you should not have any problems. Tell your surgeon and nurses about all your meds and medical history. All the best to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register