megace | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-11-2005, 05:04 PM
megace

I have been on Megace for uterine hyperplasia with atypia. I am having a cardiac workup for blood pressure elevations and heart rate elevations. So far, the doctors are saying that they think my cardiac problems are most likely unrelated to Megace.

However, my blood pressure and heart rate problems started around the time I started on Megace.

Any feedback? I am irritable and spot due to the Megace...but this stuff???

Yasmina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 02:37 PM
megace

Hi ((Yasmina)),
I'm sorry to hear of the symptoms your experiencing Sounds as if your Drs arent positive they arent related by what you shared Are they investigating the possibility that they are related further? IMO, it would seem the likely culprit as you never suffered these before and only started after beging a new med...just my own thoughts there along with how I would personally feel if it were me...

Sorry I cant be of more help. I have no personal knowledge or experience with this med.
I'm sure others here do though, hopefully they will come along shortly and can share some more helpful insight and/or experiences

You may be able to find some further info in our resources forum concerning this possibility; here is the link:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...n=browse&cid=2

Good Luck in finding some answers ((Yasmina)) Please keep us posted on how things are going...((hugs))
Unread 01-13-2005, 01:24 PM
megace

The doctors pretty much think I am 'just anxious' so far. I did have some abnormalities on a holter monitor, my heart rate is up, and my bp is up.

I have an appointment with a cardiologist to discuss the plan next week.

I would really appreciate any comments on Megace and experiences. I think what the doctors may do is put me on a drug to treat the side effects of Megace...???I can't have chocolate, caffiene, wine, salt, fatty foods....Wine can actually cause heart rate elevations which I didn't know.

Anyhow, I would REALLY appreciate any experiences with Megace. A lot of people on forum have said they didn't tolerate it, but didn't say exactly why.

Yasmina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2005, 09:35 PM
megace

hi, I understand your concerns. I too have been on Megace. twice now. Both times for 5 years @360 mg and 160 mg. My dr. and I are now trying promeitium, hoping that now my cancer is gone, it will work as well as megace since I must be on progesterone for the rest of my life for this type of cancer.
I had a complete hysterectomy, and within a week of being home from the hospital I was put on megace. I had symptoms right away. 2 to 3 lbs a week, my first treatment began in Oct. my mother-inlaw came to visit on month after my hospitalization and began to cry when she saw me I was so bloated. Since then through other drs. I learned that I have symptoms like cushings syndrome caused by the megace.Swallen round face, large distended abdomen, lump on my upper back. After 2 months and a 60 lb weight gain I finally maintained my weight and stopped gaining. My blood pressure was high (at that time that was not a known side effect) and pulse was up in the hundreds, I want to say, 110-- its been along time. 5 years later I became ill with the flu or something, I was feeling better so I decided to take a walk and passed out in front of my house. Ended up at the hospital with several tests. My sed rate was 3x normal so more tests after everything was ruled out my doc talked to my doc at md anderson and they decided I could go off megace for 6 weeks. the sed rate went down to normal. that is when they decided to take me off megace. then my blood pressure and pulse went down. I did not loose weight. The only way I have been able to loose weight was a liquid diet. as soon as I ate all the weight came back and then some. Each time I've been on megace I lost my leg and under arm hair. And my pubic and hair on my head thinned. My hair on my head did not look like the cancer patients on chemo when they begin to go bald, just thinner and kinda stringy looking.
This time on megace I gained 40 lbs. using diet pills. same symptoms as above with the added pleasure of diabetes, osteoprosis; yes megace can cause these. I think the diabetes is gone now that I am on prometrium. I've had some foods during the holidays that I would not have eaten normally which would send my blood surgar sky rocketing, but it stayed in normal range. I will say though that I think it is the length of time that I have been on megace to cause these side effects. Fatigue and not feeling rested in the morning I thought was because of a hysterectomy--now I wonder. There are more symptoms but they are not as bothersome to me. I know this sounds bleak but the alternitive is death. Megace has made it possible to still be active, to be hear with friends and family. Most of all this is teaching me how important I am to those who love me and that my value isn't in my appearance or what I can and can not do, but what I bring to the world. None of us understands the full scope of the lives we touch and enrich by just being here. I know that if you are having these reactions it is very upsetting and the struggle is difficult, but , for as many problems as I have thanks to the megace--I am actually healthier than most healthy people because I am forced to take better care of myself. I know this is too long so I will close for now. If you have any of these symptoms or others please let me know.

God bless

bonny h

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register