Night sweats, hot flashes and returning to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Night sweats, hot flashes and returning to work? Night sweats, hot flashes and returning to work?

Unread 05-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Night sweats, hot flashes and returning to work?

Hi there, fear I am a little late joining this group as I am six weeks post op. I wondered if anyone could tell me a)How long the night sweats and hot flushes go on for approx? b) How long approx before I can resume work? I am a nurse on a busy stroke ward and feel I am not quite ready yet. I hope someone can give me some answers. I have not yet been to see my GP. I had a sub total hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo opherectomy. I wanted my cervix removing but it was adhered to my bladder. Also my scar is weeping on one side. Maybe l am overdoing things???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Re: Cath Brown

Hi Cath - you should go see your doctor - I was told to see my doc 1 week after surgery to check wounds and to get my fit note and then at the 6 week point for a further check up I had a LAVH straight forward total hysterectomy and kept my overies

I reckon it will be 8 to 12 weeks before you are good to go back to work - but I am not your doctor - he/she will assess that.
Did you consultant discuss HRT with you?
My consultant told me that you go into menopause within 72 hours of having your overies removed -
hugs from me xox
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Re: Night sweats, hot flashes and returning to work?

Thanks for your reply Betty Boo. Kind of you to answer. I had an abdominal hysterectomy because of the problems of adhesions and my uterus being fixed in place. I was advised against hrt due to my age. I am 52. I am taking a multi vitamin called menopace and sage extract from Holland&Barrett for the night sweats and flushes. They are not effective yet but I have to give them chance. I was told l didn't need a follow up appointment so I just rang the surgery for a sick note. I am seeing the GP at eight weeks for a sick note or fit note depending on his decision. My work place are eager for me to take annual leave for anything after 8wks as l have had a lot of sick leave recently with all my problems. I had fibroids in my uterus also. If anyone else has any hints or tips on after care I would be grateful. Thanks again Betty Boo. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Night sweats, hot flashes and returning to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinebrown View Post
Thanks for your reply Betty Boo. Kind of you to answer. I had an abdominal hysterectomy because of the problems of adhesions and my uterus being fixed in place. I was advised against hrt due to my age. I am 52. I am taking a multi vitamin called menopace and sage extract from Holland&Barrett for the night sweats and flushes. They are not effective yet but I have to give them chance. I was told l didn't need a follow up appointment so I just rang the surgery for a sick note. I am seeing the GP at eight weeks for a sick note or fit note depending on his decision. My work place are eager for me to take annual leave for anything after 8wks as l have had a lot of sick leave recently with all my problems. I had fibroids in my uterus also. If anyone else has any hints or tips on after care I would be grateful. Thanks again Betty Boo. X
I also have a physically demanding job and i am a first responder. You have to be 100%....and i was not when i went back to work at 6 weeks. My dr gave me restrictiob,ns if 6 hour days for 2 weeks, then 8 hour days. I can tell you tgat meant a world of difference! I was exhausted, took naps...and this week i feel more like myself. I still nap. I still go to bed early....but i need the rest si i can perform my job. 10 hour shifts start Sunday and i feel i can do it. Moral of stiry....go slow, listen to your body, communicate with your dr. You will get there...promise. hugs
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Sorry for my typos....its obviously past my bedtime. Good night
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:45 AM

Thanks for your reply Sunnydaze1212. I will take your advice onboard. I live in the UK an maybe we do things a bit differently to USA with GP visits and protocols of resuming work. Did you have to see occupational health before you went back? As you say 6 wks might have been a bit soon for you to go back,hence my body has told me to wait longer. My wage has been reduced so I may have to take annual leave for a couple of weeks till I feel stronger. I understand about doing less hours in your normal working day but I feel I couldn't fit my days work into 5-6 hours unless I wasn't counted in the numbers. I will get refered to occy health this week so I will see how I go on. Thanks again for replying. X
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Hi catherinebrown.

I was sent home from hospital with a sick certificate signing me off for 6 weeks. This took me into the summer holidays, so I was actually off for 8
This was perfect for me to return back to my job at a further education college, doing my normal hours. I had to have a return to work interview to discuss my fitness. It's difficult to tell until you've actually worked though

My GP was happy to extend my sick certificate if needed as my surgery was complicated. You are entitled to statutory sick pay so don't feel guilty about how much sick time you have had. You did not choose to be unwell

Is there anyway you could go back to lighter duties or split your breaks (haha) into more frequent shorter ones? It's hard being ill but hopefully you'll feel so much soon. Good luck x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register