What experience have you had with weight after hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What experience have you had with weight after hyst? What experience have you had with weight after hyst?

Unread 10-17-2006, 07:48 AM
What experience have you had with weight after hyst?

I'm wondering how everyone has done with the weight thing after their surgery??? Have you guys lost,gained? Has it stayed off or have you lost what youv'e gained? Did you keep your ovaries? Does that have a big effect?

I know everyone is different but I'm wanting to see what the "norm" is

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2006, 08:25 AM

I have lost 20 Lbs by eating better and lack of appetite. I am hoping to lose another 20 and be able to keep it all off. Best of luck and speedy recovery to you.
's
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:42 AM

I lost 4 (now weigh 125). I am trying to watch what I eat as I can't exercise much right now. (TAH BSO on 9/21).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2006, 09:42 AM

Immediately after the surgery I had gained about 8 lbs in fluid. I week post op I had lost all 8 pounds plus another 5lbs. I am now 137lbs at 5' 8" tall. I have not gained any back in the last 3 weeks. I kept my ovaries and have never been overweight. However I do have a bit of swelly belly and am hoping that is accounting for a few more pounds that will come off as it goes down.
Unread 10-17-2006, 09:57 AM

Oh my gosh, I hope I lose weight after my hysterectomy. I used to be very active, but the pain and meds have slowed me down. 3 years ago I was 145 pounds. Several surgeries, 2 "menopauses" and lots of meds later, I'm 215 pounds. Because I now faint when I exercise, I am limited in what I can do. I joined a gym, got a personal trainer and started this disgusting low calorie diet (nasty foods in it). I did that for about 6 weeks now and have gained another 10 pounds.
I remember that my mom lost some weight w/ her hysterectomy (kept the ovaries) and then she lost like 30 pounds (some of that was scar tissue) after her ovaries were removed last December. Please let me know how you do w/ yours! Good luck!!
Unread 10-18-2006, 05:38 AM

I kept my ovaries, and my weight has stayed fairly constant since surgery (unfortunately ).

I don't really think hysterectomy itself has all that much to do with weight, although there are lots of theories out there. In my book, it all boils down to how many calories you take in vs. how many you burn...
Unread 10-18-2006, 06:16 AM

I boasted to the dr. at my post-op the other day, "Hey, I lost 7 lbs.!" and he - in a truly unimpressed manner - said, "That's normal."

My appetite's decreased and I'm goin' with it. I do wonder, as someone here stated, if keeping an ovary or two impacts the weight gain/loss scenario.

Anyone know for sure?
Unread 10-18-2006, 06:42 AM

Down 6 pounds within the first week and pretty much have kept it off. Haven't really paid too much attention with the other issues I've been dealing with. I still have my one lonely little ovary in there.....It must feel like the youngest child who finally gets the best and biggest room when all the older kids move out! lol I had also lost 20+ pounds pre-surg and hope to drop another 25 here in the next few months.
Unread 10-18-2006, 08:06 AM

I kept one ovary and lost about 5 pounds when I came home from the castle, gained it back, now I'm watching calories and drinking water like crazy to try to loose it before Christmas!
Unread 10-18-2006, 08:13 AM

I'm still waiting for my own story, but my mother lost quite a bit of weight post-op, and has kept it off. She's the most popular widow in the retirement community, and most of her dates say it's her lively attitude. I assure you, she wasn't like that before the surgery. A hysterectomy changed her whole life. Where once there was a grumpy little pudge, now there's a fun-loving, sexy woman.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register