Totally freaked now | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Totally freaked now Totally freaked now

Unread 08-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Totally freaked now

All this time I thought I would be having my hysterectomy via laparoscopy. My doctor just told me that he conferred with the doctor who will assist and my cervix is too tight, so I'll have to have mine done abdominally. I am freaking out now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Re: Totally freaked now

don't freak. It will be okay! I'm assuming it is a SAH? Your recovery will be a little longer, but we all get through it. You will be okay! The one advantage of an abdominal incision is it reminds you that you had major work done. Whether it is a lap or open or vag surgery, the same parts inside are snipped and moved and sutured. The incision will force you to slow down and heal properly. Hugs to you - as rough as my recovery road was (not typical) I feel so much better now, I cannot even remember most of the pain.
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:36 AM

Hi Cindy, I had a TAH 5 weeks ago w/ a hernia repair and I feel GREAT! I had a basketball sized ovarian cyst that made me miserable and I'm so happy it's gone. I have a pretty big incision vertically from under my belly button to about 2 inches above my pubic hair. I had to have it done this way so the doc could repair a hernia I've had for about 20 yrs! I would ask your doc if the incision will be horizontal at the bikini line. That is the most typical kind of incision and they really aren't that noticable after a year or so. I'm an old lady w/ a big belly anyway so I wasn't too concerned w/ the scarring but this is something you should discuss w/ your doc. As for healing- I had steri-strips across my incision and those came off after 2 wks. My belly is healing up really well but I don't think I'll be wearing a string bikini ever again... as if I ever could anyway ( big bellies are fun!).
Good luck to you Cindy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2009, 09:46 AM

I too was told that I was having a TVH and Friday I was told I'm having a TAH. I too was freaked, and still am about it. Although the surgery and recovery will be longer, I think it's best because the Dr will have a better view of everything. Research as much as you can so you're informed. This site is great for info and support! Good luck to you!!
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:50 AM

Thank you so much for the words of support, I really do apprecitate it I am not a good patient, and the thought of depending on anyone does not sit well with me, I guess that's why I didn't freak so much when they told me laparoscopy. But you are all correct - I will get through this just as you and so many other women have. No more bikini's though lol.
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:55 AM

Rock that bikini!! Don't let some silly little scar stop you from being you!! I was freaked about my stretch marks and bathing suits to the point where I didn't even wear shorts until one day my DH said, "WHY? It's 100* and you're in JEANS!" He calls them my mommy battle wounds and this new scar is going to be survival scar....I did what I had to do and kicked @$$ while doing it....while it doesn't make who I am, it IS a big part of me and my life. I let the endo run my life for too long and I'm NOT going to let a scar do the same! I'd buy a new suit to celebrate.
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:59 AM

Okay, so I understand that I will have to take it easy (no treadmill for a LONG time ) - but will I have difficulty in getting in/out of bed? I really would prefer to go to my home afterwards if at all possible.
Unread 08-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Cindy this site has a wealth of info. There are hints from members on how to do just about everything from getting out of bed to recipes! One member suggested getting one of those grabbers so you wouldn't have to bend over. I have to tell you it saved me! I used it for everything- even to help my pull up my panties! Bending over never was much fun for me but it was even more difficult after surgery. You can get grabbers here at the "store" but most drug stores carry them too. I also had a prob w/ depending on others but mine was based on guilt- I felt guilty asking my family to put their lives on hold and take care of me- but ya know what!?? IT'S OK TO ASK FOR HELP! and I found that they were glad to do it.
Julie
Unread 08-10-2009, 10:07 AM

Thanks again Julie - I have scoped the products before. Thanks again for the patience.
Unread 08-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Hi everyone,

I am freaking, but for a different reason. My surgery is a week from this wednesday. August 19th, I have had very few people, except for coming in here, to talk to. Everyone I do talk to, just brushes the whole Hyst. thing off as "oh, you'll be ok" This is something I don't know. WIll I be ok? I have never been knocked out before, I am scared to death about the fact that they just inject you with what ever they want, out you go and you have no more say about anything. Then when/if you wake up, you are in awful pain and you just have to "get over it"
My biggest fears right now are: Having a reaction to the meds and having a problem while I am under. I am a fraid they will leave me sitting somewhere for long periods of time with no one to talk to, that they will make my husband go away and I will be all alone. and I am affraid they will wake me up to tell me, it couldn't be done or they didn't take it out and that now I have been through surgery, but am not better off than when I went in and now there is nothing I can do about my problems.
I have a bunch of needy people in my family that all say they want to help, but all this surgery has done is created a reason for them to put the focus on themselves, becasue they are so concerned. Helping me is secondary. Because of this, If I don't take care of myself, then who will? I won't have time to rest or recover, because someone might need something and my being layed up will cause a problem for them and they will be sure to tell me so.
I just don't see this surgery being a good thing. Feeling better after its over, just isn't going to happen.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register