post-op appointment in 3 months? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post-op appointment in 3 months? post-op appointment in 3 months?

Unread 01-21-2006, 09:53 PM
post-op appointment in 3 months?

I'm a bit confused & worried. My surgery was on November 23rd, I had a follow-up appointment one week later-Dec.1st for the pathology report reading & staging, my doctor checked my incisions,asked how I was feeling, but I had no internal exam because it was too soon. Then I was told to make an appointment in 3 months which falls on March 2nd. My question is how will I know if I've healed properly with no internal exam at 6-8 weeks like I've been reading is the usual for everyone? What if I need a silver nitrate treatment like many of us do? Will it complicate my recovery to find out 3 months later? I may be worrying about nothing, but I wonder why I was given an appointment so far long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2006, 10:39 PM

Most women do heal at the vaginal cuff by 6 weeks (Some at 4.). But, as you noted, a few do not. The only way to know for certain if you are healed is to have a visual check of your cuff.

I'd ask for one. I cannot imagine your being refused.

Let us know. OK? Take care.................s.....Deb
Unread 01-21-2006, 11:27 PM

You may want to call the dr's office and ask them if making your appt that late is normal or if you heard them wrong (that way they don't get offended). I was shocked when I read that you don't go back until Mar. I know each dr is different but I would check with the office just to make sure. Sometimes, nurses tell you something totally diff than the dr. At least, that way, you know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2006, 12:13 AM

Hi Mori,

I had a post-op appointment early November (no internal exam) and my next appointment is in early Feb.

I asked him about the length of time, how would I know I was healed, ect. He told me if I had any problems to call. My recovery has gone well so far.

I think maybe the length of time is to allow us to heal enough to be able to do a thorough exam and pap?

It did freak me out too, but I do trust my doctor.

Hope your recovery is going well.
Unread 01-22-2006, 12:37 AM

Thanks to all your replies.
It was my doctor who said to make the appointment in 3 months so there was no mistake, but I'm sure it was understood that if I called with any problems they would see me before. I guess I'll just wait until March & hope that everything is healed properly. Thanks again.
Unread 01-22-2006, 01:21 PM

If your doc cleared you for sex without visually confirming that your cuff is healed, you could run into big problems. I just do not think it wise for any physician to wait and see if you run into trouble............doing that visual check can help prevent problems.

If it were me, I would not put anything in the vagina until it is confirmed completely healed. The only way that can be done is by a visual check, not just your doc's assuming you'll be like most other women.

Keep pampering yourself............you deserve it..........s.....Deb
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:00 AM

Thanks for your advice. My doctor didn't say anything about having sex & I didn't ask because it was the least thing on my mind at the time. I'll wait until he sees me to get clearance because until that happens, I'm too scared & in no hurry. Poor hubby!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register