Dr visit after 6 weeks- silver nitrate | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr visit after 6 weeks- silver nitrate Dr visit after 6 weeks- silver nitrate

Unread 05-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Dr visit after 6 weeks- silver nitrate

I had a TAH and I have a dr visit tomorrow but I'm a little nervous and afraid if she had to use the silver nitrate. I'm reading your stories and taking things seriously. Please give me an idea of what to expect. Does that stuff hurt and has everyone experienced the silver nitrate? It kinda sound like an unexpected explosion in your vaginal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Re: Dr visit after 6 weeks- silver nitrate

Hi jones63, Do you have reason to believe your doc would have to use silver nitrate? It is usually used to stop bleeding from the vaginal cuff, and though I haven't had to have it, most women say it's not comfortable, but it is NOT awful like and explosion Hope you appointment goes well!
Unread 05-30-2013, 12:21 PM

I had it to stop bleeding at week two and I didn't feel a thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM

I have been cauterized twice with silver nitrate and felt absolutely nothing.
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:24 PM

I am one of the unfortunate people who had a bad experience with silver nitrate. The first few minutes it just felt like mild period cramps... then it felt like I had a fire in my belly. Ultimately for me, I still had my cervix and at the time did not realize that I had adhesions from my cervix that had attached to my bowel. The fire in my belly was from angry nerves in my cervix radiating out to the attached organs.

This is in no way a normal or typical experience. Two of my doctors just said I was more than likely allergic to it and the adhesions caused an "enhanced" reaction. They told me a typical response is to have mild cramping for a few minutes or nothing at all.

I say that there should be no reason to be frightened over it. Most women do not have any major issues with it at all, and if you inform your doctor of you fears, they may be able to numb you before hand if they feel it would help.
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:29 PM

As you can see sister, we all feel it differently.
I had a TAH and had a tiny (about the size of a tip on an ink pen) size of granulation tissue. He used the silver nitrate and it did sting just a bit. I was overwhelmed by the pressure of him touching the cuff in general, more than the SN. I have had absolutely NO bleeding since 1 day post op. Good Luck to you!! I'm sure you'll do fine. ((hugs))
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Thanks, I went the doc and report was good. It's because of you all I knew to ask about and for my pathology report. However, 7 weeks and still no sex. Vaginal cuff not healed. She said 3 weeks from now. Still un dissolved stitches no silver nitrate. Thank God but her hand wasn't so nice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register