4 weeks post hysterectomy: when I am released will I need to use lubricant and if so, what kind? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post hysterectomy: when I am released will I need to use lubricant and if so, what kind? 4 weeks post hysterectomy: when I am released will I need to use lubricant and if so, what kind?

Unread 04-27-2014, 01:14 PM
4 weeks post hysterectomy: when I am released will I need to use lubricant and if so, what kind?

I am approaching my 4 week recovery point and things are going ok for the most part. Still sore and swollen and some days I am more sore than others.
I have heard that when I am released to be able to have sex again that lubricants are a must. I want to make an informed choice as I don't want to risk infections or have pain. I am thinking I will need to order something online, but there are so many to choose from. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Re: 4 weeks

I asked my doctor at my 5 week check if i would need a lubricant and she said no. It is not a given for everyone. Talk to your doctor and he/she can also make recommendations if you do need one, what kind.
Unread 04-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy: when I am released will I need to use lubricant and if so, what kind?

I have had problems with lubrication during sex before and aftee my hysterectomy. After seeing it advertised and also seeing mention on here, I tried Very Private lubricant. I have found it to be a really good product. It is light, not greasy at all. You won't need to scrub to get it off like some lubricants. It has no scent and seems like it is appropriate even for people with sensitive skin. The only down side is having to order online and it is a little more expensive. However, I think it is worth it. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy: when I am released will I need to use lubricant and if so, what kind?

My doctor recommended Astro-glide liquid lubricant. A tiny bit is all that is needed and believe me, it works...in so many ways...LOL My husband says it's the greatest addition to our intimacy.
Unread 04-27-2014, 07:43 PM

I am sure there are options other than buying online. K-Y jelly is usually sold in most stores with the female products. Not everyone needs extra lube. Also, it may not be needed every time. Ask your doctor what they recommend too. Just make sure that whatever you pick is intended for sexual lubrication. I have heard of people trying to spice up their sex life by just using scented lotions as lubes and ending up with allergic reactions.

I have not hit the point for trying to have sex yet. I am just basing this information on everything I have read and what friends and family have told me about their experiences after hysterectomy.
Unread 04-27-2014, 09:36 PM

I tried a few of the products mentioned. I cannot tolerate something that makes me feel greasy or rolls up into tiny balls or gets gooey. I am picky and never needed lubricant prior to hysterectomy so I was super picky. After a lot of looking, I now use Systems JO. I do order it online. It seems expensive when you order it, but it lasts a really long time. It took us 4 months to go through a small bottle with frequent use. I use the unscented kind as the last thing I won't going on down there is allergy. As far as OTC brands I prefer Astroglide over KY, but they aren't my favorite. Even now, a year and a quarter post-op, I still need lubriation sometimes, and Systems Jo has been the best for me. Early on, I used a lot at my doctors urging. She wanted me to experience as little friction and pulling as possible, so it is a good idea (as already suggested) to discuss it with you doc.
Unread 04-28-2014, 06:37 AM

Haven't needed any at four months. I bought replens which isn't really for sex it's like an every day thing, but it's been sitting in the drawer unopened..
Unread 04-28-2014, 01:01 PM

Seriously the best stuff is simple coconut oil from Trader Joe's (or anywhere.) It's natural, it has antifungal and antibacterial properties, it's hydrating, and cheap. We've used it before and will use it when I'm cleared. It's natural, it absorbs into your skin, it's not greasy, it washes out easily in the laundry and smells and tastes great! What more could you ask for?
Unread 04-28-2014, 01:34 PM

Here is an article on the topic which might be helpful: Personal Lubricants after Hysterectomy.

As an FYI, HysterSisters.com does not recommend food grade products be used as a personal lubricant, especially in early days of resuming intercourse where there are greater risks for infection.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register