met the GYN/ONC today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

met the GYN/ONC today met the GYN/ONC today

Unread 04-05-2004, 10:29 PM
met the GYN/ONC today

ok a brief history of me first then questions. i have carvical cancer 1a1 i had abnormal pap in jan, copo in feb LEEP in march, came back squamous cell carcinoma microinvasive, along with adenocarcinoma in situ. she said today their pathologist report says the margins were clear on the squamous, but not the adeno, which is a chance they got it, but would have to do another LEEP to know for sure to get clear margins, well i just want a hysterectomy, i am 25 have 2 children, do not want more, my husband and i have been sure for 2 years that our family is complete. i have pre-op wednesday, and laproscopic partial hysterectomy monday, she got me in quick! my husband is military and has to leave may 3rd. they would let him out if i needed him but then he would have to go to this school in june during a family vacation we already ha ve planned with his mom dad grandmother, aunt and uncle! his mom is comming to stay with me after he leaves, we mainly wanted him here for surgery and atleast 2 weeks after. she rearranged her schedule to get me in ASAP! i am still in shock i was expecting within a couple weeks, but wow, i go monday! has anyone had this kind of hysterectomy? what do i expect, i am trying to prepare, i asked her to video it for me but they cannot do this, although she will take internal pictures before and after for me. i plan to start nursing school next year i have waited until my second child started school to finish college myself, and after all of this have decided to start over with nursing! i am fascinated learing all of the info i can about cervical cancer, and i am sure it is just becasue i am going through it, but i want to know all i can. i do not have patience for med school, so i htink nursing is best. i would love to work in a GYN/ONC setting too! please tell me what to expect!! i have not heard of many having a hysterectomy this way, usually vaginal or abdominal...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2004, 11:35 PM
met the GYN/ONC today

(((Dagiffen)))

Welcome to Hyster Sisters! I am sorry you are having so much to deal with physically! I am glad you will have support of your family during the post-op recovery time!!! I do not have experience with the Cancers you have, but wanted to offer you some 's and let you know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!!!

I have been a nurse for 15yrs. It is a fasinating, ever-changing field. I am sure you would be a very compassionate nurse in the field of GYN/ONC, especially after being through it!!!In my experience, Patients tend to see the positive easier if they have a nurse taking care of them that truly understands!!! I know you will be interested to see the pics. your doctor takes for you! The not videoing procedures is for their own liability....unless you are on one of the DISCOVERY HEALTH episodes, ya just don't get a video of medical procedures!!! (might not be too easy to watch what was actually done to ourselves anyway!!!)

I do not have any advise to give you as far as the cancer issues you bring to the board, but I feel confident that someone who has been there will reply to you shortly!

Hugs,
Ronda
Unread 04-06-2004, 08:18 AM
met the GYN/ONC today

Dear Dagiffen,

Although my cancer was different, and my surgery was the full TAHBSO, I can tell you that my own experience was a good one, and that the surgery took care of my cancer, which fortunately was at an early stage. I didn't require any treatments, just took my time recuperating and paced myself according to the Dr's instructions.

Since your surgery is laparoscopic, I assume it will be much less invasive and that may make a difference in your recovery time--just follow Dr's orders!

It's good to learn as much as possible about your own cancer, because people without an understanding of it can sometimes say ridiculous things that can be upsetting.

Keep us informed of your progress. You'll be kept in thought and prayer.

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2004, 08:37 AM
met the GYN/ONC today

You sure have been through a lot in your 25 years!

Great decision on nursing. I am not a nurse but have worked in healthcare for 13 years. I also helped build our local Cancer Center (Administrativly not physically) and work closely with the oncology staff. I think the staff there have great jobs. They really get the chance to bond with their patients on a ongoing basis and make a difference in the lives of their patients and families.

I'm having a TAH due to a bunch of things and including the removal of my cervix due to Cervical CINIII/CIS. I did have a cone and my margins were clear so I'm not concerned about cancer presently. If I were to leave my cervix I would be a basket case for the rest of my life.

Good luck!
Unread 04-06-2004, 09:30 AM
met the GYN/ONC today

(((Dagiffen)))

My DH is a Marine and was in Kuwait last April when I had my surgery. Your husband's unit should have a person called a Key Volunteer to coordinate info. between families. This person will be able to coordinate meals and rides for the kiddos if needed. Don't hesitate to ask. Even if DH is around, he might need help keeping everything together and caring for you also.

Military wives are a different breed and God made us tough. But don't try to be too tough! You have to take care of yourself so you get well.

take care!

Janice M
Unread 04-06-2004, 08:58 PM
met the GYN/ONC today

i agree we are a strong group of ladies. my husband was in Korea for 2 years, i found a lump in my breast and was paranoid becasue breast cancer runs in my family, i had an ultrasound, she wanted to bioposy, came back nothing, just fibrosistic breast disease, but iam glas she was thorough!! luckily he wil be here throughout all of this. i have handeled every family emergency, my daughter at 5 had tonsils and adenoids removed, my son at 1 went into ICU for breathing isues, etc etc...for once i get taken care of...LOL. well for 3 weeks, and then he is leaving again! but my doctor said after 2 weeks i can go back to normal exercise and life, so i am sure i will be fine. i seem to bounceback fast, hopefully i did not just jinx myself. i am a member of the spouses group, we have just moved here, but i have met most, one lady is so sweet and checks up on me often, she went through this several years ago, it is nice to have one person close by that actualy knows first hand what i am experiencing! thanks for all of you help, i am so glad i only have a weeks notice so i donot have time to be nervous! tomorrow is pre-op!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register