Mederma or something else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mederma or something else? Mederma or something else?

Unread 06-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Mederma or something else?

Hi everyone,
I have seen a few posts about Mederma. I have been using Vitamin E oil and Gold Bond Ultimate with COQ10 and my scar is looking pretty good (for a scar). We are going on vacation in 3 weeks and I will spent the vast majority of time in a swimsuit. I tried my suits on last night (must admit, had a couple of glasses of wine for courage 0.and in a couple of them some of the scar shows. Doesn't really bother me but I know that some people are kinda freaky about things like that. I had a TAH and the scar is pretty much hipbone to hipbone. Now this Mederma, I know it can be a little pricey and that's OK if it does what I need it to do. For those ladies who have tried it - does it actually cover/hide the scar? Is it waterproof at all? Does it come in different shades such as fair, medium, etc like make-up? Thanks for any help or suggestions

Wanda age 48

tubal ligation 2002
multiple D&C's
breast biopsies x2
endometrial ablation 2004
TAH kept ovaries 4/6/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Re: Mederma or something else?

koton,
I've been using Mederma for about 2 weeks now (I'm 4 weeks post-op TAH) and it seems to be working well. At my 4 week appt, my doctor said that the scar looks beautiful and will heal completely if I keep doing as I am. So I think that it helps to put the gel on. I don't really know how much it will help your scar to fade in 3 weeks though. It is a clear gel, and I don't think it comes in different shades. It dries clear, but I can see where it is covering my skin. It is pricey, but it only takes a small bit to cover my scar. The instructions say to use it 3-4 times a day and a large tube should last 4 months.
Unread 06-26-2009, 07:33 PM

Glad things are going good for you. There are 2 versions of the Mederma. One is clear and the other is white (it contains some sunscreen in it) but you rub it in until it disappears. It isn't like a make-up where it covers the scar, the goal of it is to get the scar to "disappear". I've been using it for months and my scars are healing up nicely.

Good luck with your continued healing!

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2009, 08:38 AM

Mederma won't make your scars completely disappear, but it will improve the condition of the skin quicker and make them less noticeable. But please don't apply anything to the incision sites until your doctor has approved it. You do not want to risk an infection because of vanity!

I've been using the drug store equivalent (less pricey) on the incisions on my leg from my recent achille's tendon surgery and have noticed the skin around the scars is smooth and stretches easily. The scars are not hard or bumpy, and the peeling I had before the stitches were removed is completely gone. The scars are still deep red and you can still see the "stitch marks," but the SKIN feels better. (It's been 7 weeks since my surgery.) The drug store equivalent had EXACTLY the same ingredients as Mederma for 1/2 the cost.

Now - a word of caution - new scars will burn easily, even if you don't usually burn easily. (Take it from my personal experience!) Mederma will not protect you from a sunburn, and I don't think you want to compound the tenderness in that area with a sunburn! So use a powerful sunscreen or cover it up!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register