How To Prepare Family? General Tips? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How To Prepare Family? General Tips? How To Prepare Family? General Tips?

Unread 03-13-2011, 04:51 PM
How To Prepare Family? General Tips?

Hi, I'm new here and nervous about the upcoming surgery.

I'm having a laproscopic hysterectomy and am keeping my ovaries. (Unless they discover they are scarred or damaged from endometriosis and a cyst. But chances are, I will get to keep them.)

Anyway, I have a husband and two sons, aged 10 and 12. My husband works 14 hours a day at a very demanding, far away job, and my kids are of course busy with soccer schedules and school. My husband is on board with taking three days off for my surgery (Wed, Thurs, Fri, then he'll be here for the weekend as well, then back to work Monday.) So I'll have care and help the first several days. But in general, I'm worried about preparing everyone for me being out of commission for two weeks. I don't really know what I mean by that....I can't put it in words. I'm just...worried.

I know everyone can manage fine without me. But still--I worry.

I'm also worried I'll be a GROUCH. I hate being cooped up indoors and after about three days, I hate lying around, I miss working out at the gym, and I am restless. What if I'm a miserable heap for two weeks, and no one wants to be around me? What if, what if, what if....I just keep thinking of things to worry about.

I just wondered if any of you have any tips on prepping your family? I'm thinking a chore chart and a handful of freezer meals will go a long way to keeping things simple around here, and hopefully some moms can help with soccer game driving back and forth for the week or two afterwards.

In general, what did you all do to prepare you families and yourselves for the recovery window? Any tips will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Re: How To Prepare Family? General Tips?

my husband works in Arizona he flew in on Thursday night and flew back out today. I went shopping before the surgery and bought a bunch of food that the kids can fix on their own. I have 3 kids 2-12yr olds and a 16-yr old. plus after your done you really cant eat much because you get full fast.(gas takes up most of room) so get light stuff for you,clean your home and have laundry done. You can move around you just get sore and tired fast..I can bend just not lift!
He will be with you for several days think you will be okay..I have my blogs posted on march 11th day you can follow me..maybe that will give you an idea for what will happen..good luck
Unread 03-13-2011, 06:54 PM

Get your little guys on board as your helpers. Explain that you're counting on them to be your "main men" while Dad's away. That you may need them to miss a practice or a play date because you really need them to take care of you.

They will astound you with their enthusiasm and dedication, make you giggle (in secret) at their methodology, and make you feel so loved and proud that grouchy will be the last thing from your mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2011, 07:30 PM

Hi there,

I have three kids and I had simple meals planned in advance. My husband took off the first three days and then we had the weekend. After the first 6 days I was driving the kids to school and getting along pretty good. I just did not pick up anything off the ground. I am sure your soccer friends would love to help you by driving. I also splurged by having my house professionally cleaned the day before my surgery so my husband had a head start on the cleaning..it was nice to come home to a super clean home.
Unread 03-13-2011, 10:10 PM

Hi,

I just had a LAVH on March 4th. Before surgery, I had a bunch of freezer meals ready to go and the kitchen stocked and ready.

Your boys would probably love to help out more than they are doing already. Our little girls have a chart with jobs that they check off. If you don't have one already, you can make up an easy one.

I was super tired this past week and got a bladder infection too. I work and am usually super busy, but you will need to take it easy on yourself. I've already read two books, so get your pile of magazines and books ready. If you sew get some little hand projects that you can do, write thank you notes, journal, etc. I walk down the block down and back several times a day and visit a bit with my neighbors too.

We are a soccer family too, so call the team moms or check your roster and arrange for someone to drive your boys. They may have to miss a practice or two. My doctor said to not drive for two weeks. Ask your doctor when it is okay for you to drive.

Good luck!
Unread 03-14-2011, 05:00 PM

Thanks for your replies. I am sure we can manage, I just need to put my worries away and focus on the things I can do to prepare. these are good suggestions so thank you!
Unread 03-14-2011, 05:06 PM

You'll do great. Just remember -- you are a PRINCESS!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register