To keep cervix or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep cervix or not? To keep cervix or not?

Unread 12-03-2007, 06:52 PM
To keep cervix or not?

I am been spending hours reading this great website and all the information out there. It has been extremely helpful.

History - age 42, no children (would have required in-vitro and I had decided long ago not to have biological children), endrometrosis.

My surgeon and I agree that a hysterectomy w/ BSO would be the best thing for me. I have extremely painful sex with my DH, a couple of endro laps that helped for a short while, and pelvic pain ongoing (especially in my ovaries).

The current question I am struggling with myself on is whether to keep my cervix or not. I have HPV and my Dr. says that since we are removing everything else, it would be the best bet to remove the cervix at the same time.

Did anyone have experience with this or have to face this question as well? I am already extremely nervous over the surgery because most of the posts I read a lot of sisters out there have really serious issues they are dealing with. I feel like a bit of a wimp to have this surgery just because of pain (and the pain is bad and not good for my relations with my DH, as understanding as he is).

I guess I am seeking some words of wisdom from sisters who have been there.

Thanks so much.

God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 07:13 PM
To keep cervix or not?

I had my cervix removed and I'm glad I did. I don't have to worry about cervical cancer. It is completely your decision but if your doctor recommends it you should take that into consideration. I don't think you're a wimp and neither does anyone else. This is a very scary time for you and it's good to ask questions if you have any doubts. Always go with your instincts. Nobody can tell you what you should do with your life and your body. Whatever choice you make will be the right choice for you. If you feel comfortable with your decision that's all that matters.

I didn't really answer your question but I wanted you to know you're not alone. There are many women on here that have been through the same thing you're going through and I'm sure some of these wonderful ladies will be able to give you some great advice.

God bless,

Saundra
Unread 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM
To Keep Cervix or not?

Hi Saundra,

Thank you for responding! The thing that is throwing me off is the HPV. I don't know how meaningful a positive for 2 years in a row is, or the likelihood that it is indicative of cancer, but my gut says "don't mess around with it" - get the cervix out.

May I ask- did you have a TAH with ovaries out? I thought I would be getting a LAVH, but Dr. says no since I've never had children.

Thank you again for your support. Already my anxious chest feels like it is breathing... a bit.

Shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 08:03 PM
To keep cervix or not?

Hi Shelly,

Yes I did have a TAH/BSO, that means everything out. I had abnormal paps and have a huge history of cancer in my family (mother, father, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandfather) so I wasn't about to mess around with trying to keep anything. And I feel great. It was the best thing I ever did. I take one pill every morning and never have PMS, cramping, bleeding. It's wonderful! It took about 3 months to get my hormone level right but here I am almost 2 years later and still on the same dosage and no problems.

Back to the TAH, my Dr. said he had done them every way but he recommended the TAH because he said it's easier for him to see everything and there's a smaller chance of nicking the bladder with the TAH. So don't worry about that. My scar is a small white line (I never would have believed it would look like that right after surgery but it does.)

Like I said, go with your gut and you won't go wrong. Only you know what's right for you. A minister told me once that when you have a feeling about something don't ignore it because it could be God trying to let you know what's best. I've tried to follow that advice and it does seem to work. Please don't think I'm preaching to you. I'm just telling you what works for me. Before I had my hyst I said a prayer (ok, lots of prayers) and put everything in God's hands. Then I worried myself sick about it. But it did turn out fine and I'm sure you will too. It's completely normal to be scared. And I'm not going to tell you not to worry because you're only human and you will worry, we all do. Just hang in there.

Saundra
Unread 12-03-2007, 08:36 PM
To keep cervix or not?

I didnt have HPV so not much help but here is a link on cervix keep or not cervix
I had to loose mine but all my worries on how things would be after didnt happen. sex is okay, no more bleeding and every thing healed good. good luck with it all
hugs
lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register