I think I fired my doctor. Please help!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I think I fired my doctor.  Please help!!! I think I fired my doctor. Please help!!!

Unread 08-23-2012, 10:28 PM
I think I fired my doctor. Please help!!!

I have had a long and painful gyn history... I have ALWAYS had really bad cramps and bad belly each month with my period. I have had miscarriages, an ectopic pg that blew out my right fallopian tube, and emergent c-section for my son, multiple d&c's for polyps/tissue removal, an endometrial ablation (microwave or MEA type) that made my period lighter for 6 months but then back to the usual, and I had my left ovary and fallopian tube removed a year ago when I had a complicated cyst and an elevated CA 125- not cancer, though, thankfully.

SO, long story short (ha ha) I suffer each month still with horrible pain, belly issues, PMS etc. For a week before I get my period it feels like someone is sticking corkscrews in my lower back and twisting them constantly. I have been having left lower quaudrant pain since my oophrectomy that makes it nearly impossible to poop without bracing myself against the wall and my bathroom vanity (not all the time, but frequently and typically around my period time). It is so bad that I miss work, and plan my life around when I'm getting my period.

Also, my dr noted when he performed my oophrectomy that he saw some endometriosis, but he said he got it all. And during an ultra sound after my oophrectomy the tech said my uterus was tipped to the left- which it never has been before. When I asked my Dr about it he said my ultrasound showed a small fibroid in my uterus but was otherwise normal. WTH?!

My gyn sent me to a GI dr who did a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy was normal, except the dr did note "dense adhesions" on the left, which is where my pain is. When I went back to my gyn he told me he wanted to put in a Mirena to help me. I was taken aback. I know that the Mirena is used to help bad periods, but I want to treat the problem here, not the symptoms. I don't want to put an IUD in, hormones or not (I have a family history of stroke) on the off chance it makes my periods better. When I told my Dr I didn't want to try the Mirena he became upset and told me "the pain isn't bad enough, is it then?". I was flabbergasted. Seriously, my pain is so bad for a few days each month that I am in bed or on the couch with heating pads, taking so much ibuprofen I want to vomit, just to be able to minimally function to care for my family. I worry my work will fire me because I am absent so much and I try to make my work schedule around my period as much as possible.

SO, long story short, I left the Drs office in tears and I am at a loss as to what to do and I am so depressed about it right now. I'm so angry and I have lost all confidence in my Dr. I've had all these procedures and I have no answers and still have pain.

If anyone has read this long, I thank you. It has been cathartic just to write this all out. I'm sorry if it is long or hard to follow. I would appreciate any thoughts or input.

Thanks so much,
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Re: I think I fired my doctor. Please help!!!

Nightshifter,

You have every right to be upset! If your doctor is not listening, find a new one! He has no right to judge how much pain you are in! Do your research, find a doctor that specializes or has experience with treating your issues. You can always have your information sent over so it reduces the testing you have to go through. Most definitely find someone else! I know that being in pain and being told to keep trying different things to treat symptoms just plain sucks! I'm sorry you are going through so much, it took me 4 years to get my issues taken care of but most definitely take control of your situation! That is the beauty of it, you have a choice in who treats you!
Unread 08-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Re: I think I fired my doctor. Please help!!!

Definitely see another Dr. You have the right to refuse an IUD or other treatments. A Dr can say you have these choices----IUD, hyst, hormones, whatever it is----pros and cons, then you pick one, or opt to do nothing. But you have choices. Time for a Dr you can work with. Good luck, don't give up on finding help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register