Interesting Reactions - Would love your opinion! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Interesting Reactions - Would love your opinion! Interesting Reactions - Would love your opinion!

Unread 07-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Interesting Reactions - Would love your opinion!

Salutations!

I would like your opinions on this one ladies.

I had a TAH on the 6th of July. The past two days and nights I have:

1) woken up drenched in sweat and had a nightmare to boot - although I usually dont wake up in a sweat when I have them (very rarely)

2) I had my first "perhaps my ovaries havent woken up' teary bout. Except this hysterical outburst felt like I was going to come down with a fever and that I could not compose my thoughts. I ended up with no fever but a huge headache. I literally had to hang up the phone and jump in the shower to think!

Now I am not sure whether it is a) "you have experienced a trauma and your body is healing" reaction or b) your ovaries are still asleep / ovarian failure / peri menopause.

I have bloods scheduled week 4 so at my 6 week post op consultation we can determine hormone issues. However I am curious to know

a) Have you experienced this?
b) What do you think and
c) If this were peri-menopause, what do you suggest between now and the 4 week appointment?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Re: Interesting Reactions - Would love your opinion!

A. I experienced this the second week post op.
B. I was told it normal to have night sweats and nightmares due to the meds. If I had a fever I would have called the dr.
C. I would call your dr's nurse and ask her if you need appt to discuss perimenopause with your dr.
Unread 07-15-2009, 12:02 AM

Thanks for your reply. I am not on any meds. I stopped Day 2 with the morphine, the closest would be analgesia, thats it, if that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2009, 01:09 AM

I had the same reaction, though I had it almost immediatly after my surgery. Like as I woke up from anesthesia. It went on, got worse, for about 7 weeks. I had night sweats every night. I would have to change my sheets in the middle of the night because they would be drenched. I had panic attacks, though only three of them were severe. One was while I was still in the hospital..one a few days after I came home, and then another about a week later. The rest were little and got better over the weeks. I FORCED the issue of blood work at my week 6 check up, because I seriously felt like i was a different person. The doctor told me "Having a hysterectomy doesn't do anything to your ovaries" I was like "I am loosing my MIND!" so he checked and told me they were normal... though i have yet to see the results and plan to visit with an endocrinologist for a second opinion. He basically said he no longer needed to see me after week 6, even though I wasn't fully healed. He told me to wait 2 more weeks before any sexual activity, then take it slow. I waited till week 11 and a half. LOL. I am now at week 13, and am actually finally feeling better. It seemed that at week 8 or 9, things started to level off and I felt more myself. You might just need time to adjust.

So, yep... been there, had that happen! Get your blood work done sooner if you are worried (So great that your doc is already planning to check that!!!), but hopefully your body can level itself out.
Unread 07-15-2009, 04:42 AM

I had the nightmares when I came home after 4 days in the Hospital. I was not on the pain meds or rather just coming off of them. Had the headache but not the fever. Night sweats, yup, still have them about once a week, but I think my ovaries are waking up.

What my Dr said was that before the surgery your under a lot of stress, I mean your uterus was so bad it had to be removed! So your body goes into protective mode and holds onto everything!!! Then your body goes through the trauma of the surgery and it holds onto even more. As you heal, it slow starts to let go of all of that. Water, hormones, stress, toxins, the pain drugs (They take up to 2 weeks to clear out of your body). Some of that could account for the headache, fever, and the emotions, but the night sweats, I would ask about. I am not having them as bad so I don't think it is perimenopause. Just my body healing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register