Help! How do you get through that last week before surgery? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help! How do you get through that last week before surgery? Help! How do you get through that last week before surgery?

Unread 03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Re: Help! How do you get through that last week before surgery?

I planned my favorite meals and comfort foods, and bought all of the ingredients ahead of time, did the laundry, vacuuming, and then bought some fun slip-on slippers and pajamas. I also bought velvety draw string "leisure pants" (sweat pants cute enough to wear to work).

I also connected with local friends and asked them if they were up for coming over for a short visit 5 or 6 days after surgery. This way I had a their visit to look forward to. (A plan for a change of scene).

I tivo'd lots of tv shows ahead of time too.

I'd recommend setting anything you keep in drawers or cabinets UP onto the counters, since bending and reaching will be hard at first.

My LSH was in November, and I'm feeling really good. So glad I had the surgery. My quality of life has improved so much since I', back to good health and not worrying all the time about the pain and bleeding issues.

Best of luck to you with the surgery. You'll do great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2010, 06:17 PM

Mine is scheduled for April 1st...and apparently i am calm....but I've been always like that... personally I feel like I am blocking it...like is not happening to me. When I start thinking about it and start freaking out... I just think about something else.... I hope you find a way to relax yourself...mine usually is watching TV or talking to people about million things and just mentioned the surgery when I can't avoid it....my friends and family guess already know this is a way I deal with pressure because so far so good.
Unread 03-24-2010, 06:27 AM

Thanks to all of you for the positive thoughts and ideas. I did get down on my hands and knees and washed my kitchen floor yesterday since I have no idea when it’ll get washed again. Yesterday I had some good moments but also had a few freaking out moments of panic. One of the things I worry about is that my surgery will get cancelled for some reason. I know, that’s unlikely now but I still worry about it. I just want this done and over with and don’t want to have it pushed back at all. I couldn’t take stressing like this again.

As some of you suggested, I also decided to get some things I like for after I get home so I went to the library yesterday and got 3 books for when I come home. I’ve been trying to read now but I’m having a hard time concentrating. I also went to Gamestop and bought a new game to play on my Nintendo DS while I’m lying around relaxing. I noticed Meijers has the movie “The Blind Side” on sale too so I will pick that up for during my recovery too.

Charmane – Cool that we will both be having the same type surgery the same day. I’m not sure what time my surgery will be yet. They said the hospital will call me Friday afternoon between 2:30 – 5:30 to let me know the time. The girl I’ve been talking to in my doctor’s office says it will most likely be sometime in the morning. I’m hoping the earlier the better. I’m really nervous about the waiting around in the hospital before being taken in for surgery too. Hopefully they’ll give me something to calm me down. I love your idea of all of us scheduled for surgery that day to be holding hands. I will have to try to keep that in my mind that day. I just noticed you said you live in Michigan….so do I! I’m hoping we have some nice weather in April so I can get in some walks outside when I’m feeling better too.

Looks like there are a few of us scheduled for surgery the same day. I will definitely be thinking of all of you holding my hand. (I need it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2010, 10:19 AM

I will also be "holding hands" with all the Sisters on March 29th. I really like that image. It has already brought me some comfort. I have managed to stay calm up till now but for some reason I have been very stressed today!
Unread 03-24-2010, 12:03 PM

I feel comforted knowing we have another hand to hold.
Unread 03-24-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookfan123 View Post
I feel comforted knowing we have another hand to hold.

We will be all holding hands that day and I will be thinking of everyone here!
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:33 PM

Hello I have had a lot of anxiety about my upcoming surgery. My doctor actually gave me a prescription for a few anxiety pills for the nights i
cant stop thinking. I havent used them yet but feel better just knowing I have them in case it gets to overwhelming. Good luck .
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:46 PM

My lavh/bso is thursday the 1st. I'm nervous as well. I've had several surgeries but this is the first major one. My preop visits were yesterday. It's real now. I'm getting things in order now. I've pulled all my summer jammies out... I have to do hrt because I'm loosing both ovaries.... Just in case I get hot... I also bought a candle body spray and lotion all aromatherapy for stress from bath and body for pampering after surgery. I also bought the gasx etc. I still have some last minute shopping to do like juice etc but I am finding if I do a little each day it will help me prepare as well as keep me busy so I don't freak about the surgery itself. I work up to tuesday being my last day. Bowel prep on Wednesday... Good luck and yes pamper yourself.... See you on the other side.....
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Hi all,
I think the common thread here is to keep busy and try to be as ready as we can for the big day!

I am retired so don't have work to occupy me so I have been cleaning, gardening, shopping (a lot!) and visiting with friends. I am pretty good during the day but find I am having some trouble falling asleep at night ---

I felt a lot calmer after my pre-op yesterday. For some reason I think the kind but matter of fact way they handled everything at the pre-surgery clinic gave me confidence and made it real for me.

Cupcake 4 - we have the same date. Hope things go well for you and for all the Mar. 29 Princesses!
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:18 AM

Good luck to you too, Shirley. I am doing my best on my last "weekend" coming up. Trying to clean the house but it is hard with my back and leg troubles, the last visit from Aunt Flo (which came very late this month, first time in 30 years), and the fact that I have to clean around many large young men who live here, and never stop eating or put away their laundry or dishes. I miss my daughter who is away at school and would actually help me, but the boys are very sympathetic just very messy. I was thinking that if I am stuck in the hospital any length of time - nobody will be here to shoo them off to school. "When the cats away......"

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register