dVH/RALH Scary moment coming out of the dark | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scary moment coming out of the dark Scary moment coming out of the dark

Unread 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Scary moment coming out of the dark

My surgery was last Thursday Jan. 31st. Everything went well and surgery ended actually sooner than anticipated. My husband consulted with my OB immediately after and was told he could see me in 45 min - 1 hour. However, 3 hours went by and I was still under. I was not waking up from the anesthesia as expected and had stopped breathing a few times. When I finally woke up I remember the machines going off and the nurses telling me to take a deep breath. Later my husband told me how scared he was that my oxygen levels kept going down and I was not coming "out of the dark". I am so grateful to be home with my family. I am also thankful I left my kids at home and not brought them like I had initially planned. My eight year old would have been very upset. God knows what he is doing! This was my very first time in general anesthesia, they told me everyone reacts to it differently. I will be sure to be cautions if I ever have to go "under" again, so this will hopefull not happen again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Re: Scary moment coming out of the dark

Wow, how scary! I'm glad you are okay.
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:28 AM

Glad you're ok. I bet your husband was frantic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2013, 05:04 AM

Glad you are ok.. I have that issue too. I have to be on oxygen and reminded to breathe deeply for a while in recovery...
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:14 AM

I had the same experience. Never had surgery before. They told me that I gave the Recovery Room a "run for their money". I don't remember anything, just coming to in my room on 3L oxygen.

I did speak with anesthisiologist and surgeon prior to surgery to let them both know that I had the Scopolamine patch for nausea behind my ear. This also can sedate.

They told me they were using Phenergan for my nausea in addition to Propofol for sedation and I think Fentanyl for pain. I'm a lightweight when it comes to medicine (Tylenol makes me sleep) so no wonder!!

Good to know for the future.
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM

Wasabirn - I had all of the same, scop patch, phenergan for nausea and I had to take my 200 mg of pheno prior to surgery for my seizure disorder.. yep, i need 1 on 1 during and after surgery to "rememer" to breath.. i just stay "out of it.." eventually we wake up!
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatBazz View Post
Wasabirn - I had all of the same, scop patch, phenergan for nausea and I had to take my 200 mg of pheno prior to surgery for my seizure disorder.. yep, i need 1 on 1 during and after surgery to "rememer" to breath.. i just stay "out of it.." eventually we wake up!
KatBazz - No nausea but no breathing. Good to know for future like EvyRosa stated.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register