Depression after total hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depression after total hysterectomy? Depression after total hysterectomy?

Unread 10-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Depression after total hysterectomy?

Im only 22 and had my surgery on monday and i was just wondering if anyone has suffered from depression after the surgery? Mentally this is a hard thing to deal with at any age, but i'm just afraid it will really drag me down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2006, 08:52 PM

Hi,

I'm sorry you're going through this at your age. Some people do get depressed after surgery - not only from the situation but also from hormone fluctuations. It's normal to feel loss and grief after the hyst, even if you're feeling prepared for it ahead of time.

Having a plan for depression before surgery can really be helpful. It's important to discuss your concerns with your doctor and be sure they take you seriously. If they don't, consult a general practitioner and have a plan in place with them. They can work with your surgeon to make the best possible situation for you.

I personally was depressed off and on before my hyst for many years. I was sure I'd be depressed afterward. I did feel a sense of loss because I wasn't able to have children, but I had been dealing with that through 14 years of infertility and I've been using online support groups for those issues for about a year.

I was very blessed because after surgery my health began improving greatly and despite a very slow recovery and dealing with the diagnosis of a bleeding disorder, my depression lifted. My doctors believe it's very likely that my very poor health (the reason I needed the hyst) was causing depression. The lift in my mood is likely due to the fact that years-long blood loss is finally over and my body is in much better health.

Everyone has such a different experience with this. Perhaps the most important thing is how you deal with the depression. Keeping it to yourself and hoping it gets better, or not wanting to bother people with it are possibly the worst things you could do. It's a difficult time but you must reach out for help to your doctor, a therapist or friends. Some doctors unfortunately do not listen or take people seriously when they say they're depressed. It's so important to KEEP TRYING until you find a doctor who will try their best to help. Also, it's important that your surgeon knows if you become depressed. They must keep track of it because it can be a symptom of hormones not working properly, and there certainly are many things they can do about that.

I think you're so smart to try to be prepared for this. It's very likely you won't be depressed, but if you do become depressed you can have a plan in place. If the issue of having biological children is an issue, please feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to refer you to some good online resources that have been an enormous help to me.

Unread 10-05-2006, 08:56 PM

Oh, sweetheart, I feel so for you. You are facing so much at such a young age. Try not to worry too much about those problems that don't yet exist.

Many people believe the hysterectomy causes psychiatric problems, such as depression and anxiety. I have read that there is no good evidence that hysterectomy causes long-term emotional problems if it is carried out for valid medical reasons. Studies also show that, generally speaking, women who do suffer emotional illness after hysterectomy are those who had problems before surgery.

A lack of sleep, stress, and other factors common to all surgeries may have a long-term effect on your emotional health. If you find that you really cannot pull yourself out of a black mood, call your doctor. He is there to help you.

I have suffered from depression (PTSD from a murder attempt) for a number of years. There are wonderful medications and therapies now that really do help. I have gone from having agoraphobia to being able to leave my home and enjoy life again. So, try not to fret too much. You have a long a beautiful life ahead of you!

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2006, 09:08 PM

Aweee....now I left you a private message sweets but I will keep on public posting, as well...dont be worried about the waht if's like that nassy mean wichy registration nurse tried to worry me..and tried to pop my bubble...dont worry you will be okay..you will come through this with shining colors!!! I promise!!! I cant promise your life will be all pink and wonderful....but I can promise that just being able to ask questions is a HUGE step...there are medications...anywhere from simple non stimulant to just settle you to stronger things...if at you start feeling over whelmed PLEASE call your doc and ask for something to help the blues, or anxiety...dont be afraid. Or contact anyone here to help walk you through it. ~~mil~~
Unread 10-05-2006, 09:38 PM

Hi babidahl!

Depression after a hysterectomy is so common that we even have an article about it in the Post-Op Articles archives, that I hope will be helpful to you:

Anxiety/Depression From Surgical Menopause

If you are not able to take HRT to replace the hormones your ovaries made, there are other medication options that your doctor may be able to prescribe, to help any mood disorders that may arise.

Although none of us here on the site can predict what might happen to you, nor promise you anything, one way or the other -- I do hope that, in partnership with your medical provider, you are back to feeling like your "old self" very soon.

Many s and Best Wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register