When can I start running again?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When can I start running again?? When can I start running again??

Unread 02-15-2006, 01:19 PM
When can I start running again??

this may not be the best place to post this but I'm wondering when other sisters started any kind of cardio excercise? Running, fast walking, aerobics etc.?

I know not to do too much but running and playing volleyball are "my" sports and I miss them terribly! Having said that I WILL NOT put myself back to day 1 on my recovery, I want to do this right the first time.

What about Yoga or pilates? When did you start doing them?

Thank you!

Karyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2006, 01:56 PM

My level of exercise was extremely high prior to my surgery: daily fast walking (3+ miles every day outside), daily water aerobics (60 minutes hard intensity), weight training 2-3 times a week, pilates at least once a week, and yoga at least once a week.

My doctor insisted that I start walking the morning after my surgery. I walked every 30 minutes for 10 minutes for the first week. My stamina and speed increased (from barely shuffling my feet to actually moving) by the 10th day. I was able to walk further and without a walking buddy. By the 14th day, I was back to my 3+ mile loop with my walking partner, but not nearly as fast as pre-surgery. The speed varied with each day and with the weather.

At my 2-week checkup, my doctor told me to focus on upper body strength and core stability. He said no forward flexion (crunches), no back bends, no twisting. Basically, he wanted my back flat on the floor, my feet bent, my head on the floor and my abdominal muscles contracted. He also encouraged pelvic tilts (as tolerated), leg lifts (as tolerated), side lying leg work, etc. You need to understand that I am a certified personal trainer and fitness instructor. He knew my level of experience/education and urged me to follow the demands of my body "as a beginner".

At my 6-week checkup, he told me that I had no lifting restrictions as long as I remained pain free. But (as posted in other threads), he did not want me back in the swimming pool for at least another 4 weeks (it's a public pool with lots of chemicals).

My surgery was December 2004. I returned to the pool March 1, 2005. I returned to pilates March 1 as the instructor, but didn't really practice it until the middle of March. I didn't return to yoga, however, until July 2005.

So, express your concerns and desires to your doctor and listen to what he says. The human body has incredible muscle memory. You will not lose muscle mass by taking care of yourself for the next 4-6 weeks.
Unread 02-15-2006, 01:57 PM

I don’t know what kind of surgery you had, but I had a LSH. LSH has a much faster recovery rate and I was able to start walking 4 miles a week after surgery. The Dr said I could start back to jogging at 4 weeks. So at 4 weeks I started to add a little jogging back in. I stopped if I felt any pain. At my six week check up, she gave me the all clear and said I had no restrictions. I’ll be seven weeks tomorrow and jogged 4 miles yesterday and lifted and did a few sit-ups (pain free). It felt so great to be back at it. I know it can be frustrating not to exercise if you are used to it, and you hate losing all the effort and time put into it already, but please only listen to what you Dr say’s. Not all of us have the same surgeries and heal the same way. Oh, I also got me some 3 lb weights after a week after surgery and would do some arm exercise’s to keep some strength.
Good luck, I hope you can be back at it soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2006, 02:15 PM

I too, had an LSH Jan. 16th .........I work as a personal trainer and fitness instructor part-time..I`m back at the gym 4 weeks post-op after my Dr. gave me the "ALL CLEAR" at my 3 week post-op check.......I`m getting certified also in Pilates and have started those classes back up as of this week...I think all lot of it depends on your fitness level BEFORE surgery and what type of surgery you had..ALWAYS defer to your Dr.`s advice and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY......I statred walking one week post-op and doing some light isometeric excersise`s also that first week..I hope you have a smooth and pampered recovery
Unread 02-15-2006, 02:51 PM

glad to know that I'm not the only one 'antsy' for activity.

2 wks, trying to be a good girl because I only have one chance to heal right-first time around. besides, it is up to me to take care of me. I have walked around the house, around the yard, but not down the road. I am driving my dau to school. I am trying to be a good girl.

Thanks for a good question.
Unread 02-15-2006, 05:12 PM

I cant wait to drive! only a week to go until i can, & i can have my daughter back from my dads to take her to school. My Doctor said absolutely nothing for 6 weeks, My post -op appt is 20th March. I took a walk yesturday & boy did'nt i know it after, swollen belly, discharge stepped up & my ankles burned. I have to get this recovery right first time to. I am stir crazy here. Day time T.V really *****! I am so eager to get back to the Gym. I know its early days i'm 3 weeks post op. I was fairly fit before the surgery. Not smoking/drinking/ weight management made a big difference. I am afraid to do to much seems like i've only just got my Bowels working right! good on you ladies who are back to the excercise so soon. Your an inspiration! .. Pamela

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register