How Long Does The Swollen Belly Last - Page 2 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Long Does The Swollen Belly Last How Long Does The Swollen Belly Last

Unread 05-20-2006, 07:40 AM
How Long Does The Swollen Belly Last

I woke up one day ... six months later and said, huh... something is missing... the swelly belly. But, I'm not really sure when it left left.

I know it sadly takes time. I wear those undies that hold your tummy in... and that helped some.

Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks

Thanks For The Info I Will Ask My Doctor About The Medical Band
Unread 05-20-2006, 09:44 AM

Hi Lynn,
I feel your pain - lol.
One of the things I didn't consider before having my LSH, was that I would have this swelly-belly. I was pretty shocked when I saw the amount of bruising and swelling I had right after surgery.

I bought a couple of outfits before my surgery. I intended to wear them to my kids graduation ceremonies this weekend. There is no way I can get them around my belly! I was back at the mall yesterday trying to find a mumu to wear!!! I actually found a dress that's not only acceptable for graduation, but that I'll still be able to wear once I get rid of this spare tire.
I'm less than 2 weeks post-op, and I've developed a hematoma that's contributed to the swelling, but it's definately getting better. I'm hoping that the swelling from an LSH goes away faster than those who have had a TAH. Swimsuit season is here....and I live in South Florida.
I'm hoping to be back in my bikini, or at the very least, my normal shorts soon. That may be hopeful thinking though. Either way, not much we can do but wait it out!!!
Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2006, 10:24 AM
still swollen too...

I'm almost 3 weeks out and still swollen too. Even a LAVH leaves that swellybelly I guess!
I was hoping to hear/see on here that week 3 was the week... but I'll just have to wait I guess!
I am pretty much doing my normal routine (misus the lifting and sex so far) but I still can't sit in my normal jeans for very long. We did go out to Famous Dave's on Mother's Day and I wore them.. but had to jump in the van and UNBUTTON them when we drove home! :snort: It's all good though! I wear pull on pants to work and sweats or shorts at home and I'll be ok.. it IS summer in Kansas too!

Good luck to all!

And a bikini?@! What the hell is that???? Lucky girl!
Unread 05-20-2006, 02:40 PM

I am 2 and 1/2 weeks out, and feeling great. Thanks to this website for giving me and my daughters a lot of good info re post-op care.
It's a little discouraging to hear that the belly stays swelly for so long, but I have managed to find a few items of clothing to wear, and thank god it is summer, so casual reigns here on the west coast.

I am pleasantly surprised to be almost pain free and feeling good at this point. Not bored yet. A little apprehensive about 'adhesions' but nothing to do now but pamper myself and heal. I saw a naturopath for nutritional support while healing.
Good luck to all, take care of yourselves!
Unread 05-21-2006, 06:42 PM

Hi,
I will be week 4 on fri the 26th and overall doing well. I am not back to work yet like some but I do attend classes twice a week and sitting in class for 2 1/2 seems to drain the heck out of me. I have some days full of energy and other days I feel like crap. my belly as gone down a little but still have a way to go. As far as the gas I have had much in the last pass 4 days, that seems to come and go also. My biggest problem is when I drive and hit a bump I get sore all over again, but my Doctor wants me to drive and start getting around more so I am trying. I notice if I drive with me hand over my belly or where a girdle it seems to help a lot, one hys sister side for me to get a small pilow and put it in front of my belly then buckle my seat beat so I am going to try that. good luck to you and hope to chat soon.
Take care and be safe. (LYNN)
Unread 05-21-2006, 06:43 PM

wow what was a year? getting rid of the gas or the swollen belly, or just feeling great altogether???????
Unread 05-22-2006, 12:45 PM

Some of the sisters on the website report that they still have some swelling a year later, esp. late in the day. Others report it is gone much sooner. I think it's best not to worry but to take good care of yourself, don't over do anything, and eat well.
Unread 05-22-2006, 02:30 PM
LSH, 6 weeks out -- still have swelly belly

I'm six weeks out, pretty much healed, back to normal activities -- even Pilates! -- and I still have swelly belly. Not all the time, but often by the end of the day. I just look bloated and kind of lumpy. The area around my navel, where the most painful incision was, sticks out. It isn't really pronounced -- my partner thinks I'm imagining it -- but I can see it. I'm glad to hear that other LSH-ers have it and it is rather normal. I think the hard part for us, with the minimally invasive surgery, is really looking fine on the outside but still healing, physically and emotionally, from the surgery. I still get pain sometimes in the muscles in my abdomen too... and I'm tired. Not so tired that anyone else would notice... but I feel like after dinner I can barely get up and load the dishwasher and read to my daughter and put her to bed. I guess we struggle through at 75% for awhile!

Hope your belly gets better--and mine too!
Unread 05-22-2006, 02:58 PM

I am 11 weeks out from a LH. No uterus, no ovaries, no tubes, no fibroids big belly hematoma at the largest incision!!!!
Now today I have a lot of pain on my left side where my ovary was and that makes me nervous!
Anyone else have pain like this at this stage in recovery?
Thanks in advance for listening!!!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register