Scheduled LSH Operating Room Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Operating Room Questions Operating Room Questions

Unread 06-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Operating Room Questions

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this site and was wondering if someone could help ease my operating room anxieties. I am scheduled for surgery on July 11th. I was just wondering if most people wake up in the recovery room or operating room? That is one of my biggest fears for some odd reason. I really want to ensure I wake up far away from the surgery room. Do you think I should mention this to the staff?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Re: Operating Room Questions

I don't remember anything between them wheeling me into the OR and then waking up in the recovery room!
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Hi Marscal, wlecome to this great site full of wonderful women! I would absolutely talk to your doctor about ANY concern you may have. They want to make sure all your needs are met and that you are comfortable. I had an appendectomy 10 years ago and my hysterctomy was on the 6th. Both times I was woken up in the OR only to fall right back aleep and go to recovery and be woken up again, and again, and again, but I was completely fine with that. There may be a reason they wake you up in the OR, I'm not sure, perhaps another lady knows more? In fact I'm sure a lot of people don't remember being woken up in the OR-sorry I am not much help, just thought I'd pass my experience along. Best Wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM

I haven't had my hysterectomy yet so I can't speak for that, but I have had 2 laps and I woke up in the recovery room after both of those and not in the OR. That is just my experience with my surgeries to date. I would talk to your doctor though and if you are afraid of waking up too soon make sure they know that so that you are given enough meds to keep you out. Good luck! I hope everything turns out great for you!
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:17 PM

I remember talking to my dr in the room before going to the or. I remember hitting the or doors and that was it. I awoke in recovery and was there until they got my room ready upstairs. Everytime I was put under I always woke up in the recovery room. The nurses in recovery will take care of you, they will get your pain meds started and keep a watch on you until you are ready to be moved to your room.. After they gave me some pain medicine in my IV I was there for another 45 min then I was taken to my room.
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:19 PM

I also woke up in the recovery room after my 4 general anesthesia surgeries. The only time I was awake in the OR for more than a few brief moments was when I had local anesthesia.
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:22 PM

I had a myomectomy years ago and then just had my hysterectomy....both times I always woke up in the recovery room.

Just tell your doctor your concerns, also mention it to the anesthesiologists on the day of your surgery.
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM

I woke up in recovery after my last abdominal cyst surgery and was intubated. I expected that, but it kind of freaked me out. It was a very long 10 minutes until they extubated me, and I felt about 100% better once that was done. I'm going to have a TAH next month, and went through my questions/concerns with the doctor's office today. I'm relieved to learn I can talk to the anesthesiologist the morning of the surgery and request additional anti-anxiety meds to be given as I wake up.
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:50 PM

You will be fine - as most of us - I woke up in recovery.

It happened this way - pre/op room, there they gave me a Valium which was great as I was in tears! Super nervous. They did blood work and questions. The Anethesiologist will talk to you - tell them your concern.

They wheeled me in, I had them tape a crystal I wanted on me during surgery, I breathed in oxygen three times and was out like a light till I woke up in Recovery, where they monitored my breathing, my cathether (which BTW, I was nervous about too - but it was put on after I was out and when it was removed NO pain - so fyi

About 15 min in Recovery and it was off to my room. I had some unusual back pain I didn't expect - and made sure I let them know about it - report anything to them you feel unusual or strongly about. Trust your body! They adjusted my catheter and then it was better, and we iced my back a little.

You will be on an IV soon after coming out of surgery and it will keep you sedated.

Just so you know - it was way way WAY easier than I expected!!!!

Then, comes Recovery at Home Phase... keep reading and asking questions here!

xoxo - you can DO it!
jem
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:52 PM

I walked to the operating room with my nurse, met with the doctor and anesthesiologist. They helped me to lay in bed and then they hooked me up to heart monitor and oxygen monitor. The nurse gave me some oxygen and the anesthesiologist gave me his meds in the IV. I was out like a light. The next thing I remember was waking up in the recovery room. I was no longer intubated. The nurse asked me if I had pain and took care of me, and then I was transported to my room. The girl across from me looked like she was half awake when they extubated her, but she fell right back to sleep and didn't even notice it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register