"It will be just like your C-section" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"It will be just like your C-section" "It will be just like your C-section"

Unread 03-29-2006, 06:35 AM
"It will be just like your C-section"

Uh, NO!!!!

Yes, I had a bikini incision about HALF the size for my cs.
After my cs, my back hurt worse than my tummy.

I felt like they took a baby out of me, not like they took an ice cream scoop to me.

Anyone else get this from people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2006, 06:49 AM

Marie,

I have never had a c-section, but I have had two friends who have make comments that a c-section would be the same or worse! I whined about one of the friends a few days ago on this site.

My friend who thought it would be worse, was actually well-meanig, I corrected her and she thought better of it. I just thought it was funny when she said, "I had a c-section, that would be much worse because they take the uterus out and then put it back in."

I told her that with a hysterectomy (I had an LAVH so I don't have as much abdominal trauma) they not only take out the uterus, cutting huge tendons, they remove your cervix, and stitch up your brand-new end to the vagina, the cuff. Not too mention all the nerves cut and major upheaval to your insides. It is just much more traumatic in every way.

Betts
Unread 03-29-2006, 06:56 AM

Oh, yeah, I heard that, too. It is definitely different.

And the uterus isn't taken out and put back in during a section. At least none of the docs I work with do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2006, 07:04 AM

I think she was referring to how they lift it up and examine it, not actually removing it. I have seen that done on the discovery health channel. Maybe only in some circumstances? I really don't know.
Betts
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:11 AM

Hi cmlouviere,

I heard it from lots of people, but since I had 4 c-sections, I was able to set them straight in small order. The only similar thing is the incision. The rest is no comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonella
And the uterus isn't taken out and put back in during a section.
Mine was. It was pulled out of my abdomen, turned inside out, examined, cleaned up and put back in. My bladder was also pulled out, examined, cleaned up and reattached. DH saw it all.

S,
Kay
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay m
Hi
Mine was. It was pulled out of my abdomen, turned inside out, examined, cleaned up and put back in. My bladder was also pulled out, examined, cleaned up and reattached. DH saw it all.

S,
Kay
I've just never seen any of our docs do that. As a nursery nurse, I'm required to attend all c-sections to do the newborn care and I watch the surgery while it's going on. But, everyone is different so it probably is done in some instances. I stand corrected.
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:27 AM

C-section= take out baby, sew you up.

TAH= take out uterus, move stuff around, fix the ovaries, blah, blah & sew you up.

Not just take a baby out, but the whole uterus. THen your body is going, "where did it go?" The cut muscles, tendons & whatever else are in protest right now. OUCH.

I am so tired right now and just want to sleep. I'm not able to right now. I'm just really frustrated. People make me mad. My DH especially doesn't understand.

No one could be in as much pain as his brother who had a 9cm (the same size as my uterus) tumor removed, prostate & bladder removed. It is still MAJOR surgery. You know? Praise God, I am Cancer free and don't have to go through chemo or radiation. I still have my bladder. Oh boy, do I!!

Unfortunately, I have a dh who is 140 lbs wet and don't totally understand weight issues. He has been sick 1 day in his life and has no sympathy or understanding. GRRR

My incision is twice as long as my CS.
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:43 AM

I'll make myself unpopular here, but I had three c-sections, all transverse, and this LSH is MUCH MUCH EASIER, even though I'm a LOT older than I was for all those sections.

Yes, they do lift some organs out of the abdomen when they do a section; when they did that during my second or third, I was awake, and it made me nauseous, and they said that was pretty common BECAUSE they had everything out and moving around. They shot in some pretty good drugs for that, and in addition to what they had given me for anxiety (I had a panic attack before the surgery) and what they were giving me for pain, I was fairly certain I was floating on the ceiling looking down on the surgery.

What you get from this is that everyone's surgery is different, and the same surgery affects different people differently.

Marie, I saw someone post on another thread that her husband had said for her to tell males who didn't sympathize to imagine they had had their penis and testicles surgically removed. When your husband gives that a try, he'll have some idea how you feel. Until then, he needs to shut up.

And please don't be mad at me because my c-sections were tougher than this. It could just as easily been the other way, and you have to have some contrast, or what the rest of you are going through would be NORMAL.

Nightauel
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:30 AM

cmlouviere, My c-section was a breeze compared to the TAH/BSO.

Nightauel, if i'm not mistaken, your hyster was one of the less invasive methods, so it stands to reason that it would be easier. Although some do have problems even with that type. I think what the comparison really is, is the TAH versus c-section since both require a HUGE incision in the abdomin, and that and the retractors are about all that is the same between the two. The LSH is 3 small incisions, and the internal work is done without retractors stretching your incision out to the size of a football. I think the stretching with LSH is done internally with gas isn't it?
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:39 AM

Hi (((Ladies)))

Perhaps I could clarify a little. I felt better after my TAH/BSO. But, I recovered quicker with the c-sections. By that I mean that, with all the internal stitches (100's of them no matter which method) and your body adjusting to loosing organs which were providing necessary hormones - the recovery time is just longer and more involved. Painwise, the c-sections were worse. I was however, able to do more sooner with the c-sections.

S,
Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register