Very Nervous pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very Nervous pre-op Very Nervous pre-op

Unread 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Very Nervous pre-op

Hi! My name is Linda and I am 50. I have recently been told that I need a hysterectomy and my ovaries removed. I am the world's biggest chicken. I truly do have a diagnosed panic disorder and when I hear the word surgery it really moves into high gear. I am so totally freaked out at having the surgery itself and the "afterwards". I can find so many things to worry about it is ridiculous! In January of 2012 I did have a heart attack and by the grace of God am ok. I have known 2 women who have had this procedure and both have ended up with dementia. I have been cleared by my cardiologist to have the surgery but I have been reading that if you have a hysterectomy before the age of 65 that the risk of lung cancer and heart problems are dramatically increased. I am very nervous going in to this and any and all advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Re: Very Nervous pre-op

I know of many women that has had this surgery before the age of 50 and they are fine!! Iam only 38 and Iam 6 weeks out from surgery. Your Dr. will give you pain meds to come home with. You just have to take it easy when you get home. You will find alot of help here on hyster sisters!! Just take things one day at a time..you will be fine! just take a deep breath and breath. I prayed about my surgery way before I had the surgery..and I prayed on my way to the hospital for the surgery..it REALLY reduced my worries and I really felt safe..because I knew tha God was with me. Dont worry yourself over the lung thing or the heart thing.
Unread 11-27-2012, 04:50 PM

Hi Linda,

I can empathise with you. I do think if you come to this site often, read the posts and air all your worries you will find that your anxiety eases and that you are in very good company. I have found this to be the case. It stops you feeling isolated, and there are always people who understand. I am much better informed, and have found a lot of support here.

My aunt had a hysterectomy in her forties and lived to 87 with no serious illness. Many people I have spoken to have said that their hysterectomy restored their quality of life.

I think the potential heart problems you mention must be linked to the removal of the ovaries and therefore the protective hormones? But I've never heard of any link with lung cancer. I don't know enough to advise on this, but I think you will find reassurance on these points from other sisters.

I'm amazed how much my outlook and feelings have changed since I found this site. I'm sure it will help you too. I'm 49, hysterectomy 12/12/12.

(((HUGS))) Fox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2012, 06:22 PM

In addition, I am concerned about not having ovaries and the mental reaction I may have. I don't want to be crabby gabby or a tearful mess either. There is just so many unknowns.
Unread 11-28-2012, 08:05 AM

Hi Linda,

It sounds as though you need to have a talk with your doctor or consultant about these worries. It's difficult to advise as I don't know enough about your condition. I have read of many women here who have had HRT either straight away or after a couple of months. I know this isn't appropriate for everyone, but even then there are natural remedies you can take to counteract troublesome menopausal synptoms.

If you haven't already had this conversation, it would be good to see your own doctor or discuss it when you go for your pre-op. checks.

Try to take one step at a time and don't worry about everything at once. Thinking of you,

(((HUGS))) Fox
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:01 AM

I had my ovaries removed. I'm not really crabby although still have days of teariness. I am on HRT but if you can't take HRT check with your doctor about some of the natural solutions to helping with this. Your nerves are normal. The only thing I had heard about a hyster dealt with doing it initially before 40 and now before 45. If cardio cleared you then take a deep breath. He wouldn't have if he thought it wasn't safe. As for all the risks and what causes what let me tell you a true story. Almost 17 years ago I was in the hospital after having my son. Apparently I was either nervous or having some good pain meds as I had heard on the overnight tv that "new studies reveal that wearing bras can add to an increased risk of cancer". So I asked my country doctor his opinion on the subject. He chuckled and said " ya know nowadays they are linking everything to something. If after 5 years they are still saying bras cause cancer then I will start recommending my female patients not to wear a bra. Until then please keep using your bra as you are". Then he chuckled a little realizing his patient had totally made him blush. So just relax on all the could happens and enjoy the day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register