Hello everyone new here and have a question about Lupron | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hello everyone new here and have a question about Lupron Hello everyone new here and have a question about Lupron

Unread 02-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Hello everyone new here and have a question about Lupron

Hello all, I am new to this forum and am looking for some answers. I have been diagnosed with endometriosis as well as andenomyosis. I am 34yrs old and already have three children,and my tubes are tied.i was told i will need a total hysterectomy. I went to my Dr. to tell her im ready to schedule my hysterectomy, well now shes telling me im too young and i should try other alternatives. she wants me to try lupron shots for six months. So my question is has anyone tried lupron and if so what was the outcome? i cant seem to find any info about lupron. Is lupron just an alternative to mask the problems for a while and i will eventually need the hysterectomy later on? so why not just have the surgery now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2006, 10:00 PM

Hi Red01

I had a 3 month injection to shrink fibroids and thin my uterine lining prior to an ablation. I did well on it as long as I reminded myself it was worth the trade-off. Hot flashes weren't fun, but it did help my pain and it was so nice to be without my horrible periods for a while. There is a hormone surge at first, so it was the second month before it started to take effect for me.

Here's some info about Lupron. If you do a search here (upper rt. corner) you'll find several other threads about it.

When I was researching it, I tried to focus on the opinions from women who've actually used it. (Many women aren't willing to try it because of the possible side-effects ) From those that have tried it, I've probably read more positive experiences than negative ones, but there are definitely both out there.

I've heard that it can be a valuable experience to see if it helps the pain - if it doesn't, surgery might not either. Like you said, it's usually a temporary thing since it can't be taken long term.

I hope you do well with it, if you decide to try it. Please keep us posted.

Gentle s & best wishes,
Beth
Unread 02-08-2006, 05:52 AM

Lupron can be a great drug for many women. Just please research it. I took it once and had bad side effects. I don't know if the drug has changed since I have taken it. I took it when it first came on the market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2006, 07:53 AM

For me personally, I hated lupron. I was in my late 20's or early 30's (can't remember) when they tried it on me and the menopause symptoms were awful, as well as my mood. Seems I never recovered from that, ha ha! I did it for 6 months and yes, it did help the pain but it is a mask...the endo comes back just like before and I had to have another lap to clean it out. Then my dr. made me go thru birth control pills continuous (no period) for years and most recently the mirena iud for the past year to slow the endo down but I had really had it. I just wanted out. So, I went to a new dr. and he gave me the choice of another lap (cleaning out again) or a hysterectomy. I chose the hysterectomy. He was a little skiddish as I don't have children but after explaining that I don't want children and I haven't wanted children he was ok with it. I'm 39. I will be having a TLH on Feb 10th and he hopes to leave my ovaries. He will excise all the endo as well. I'm SO looking forward to not having to pop birth control pills anymore and no pain, etc. I wanted a hyst. 10 years ago but the dr. wouldn't hear of it. I can't believe they make you go thru years of pain and temporary medications. I know they are afraid of someone changing their mind concerning kids but hey, I've said all along that I don't want kids, I think I should have been able to decide what to do with my body! Oh well, not much can be done now, just look forward to Friday!!!!
Unread 02-08-2006, 09:32 AM

Hi Red01,

I also did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for a less invasive hyst. As Sistabeth, mentioned, I always had to remember the trade-off too. I had temporary chemcial menopause as mentioned. I had hot flashes and night sweats and I had mild irritability. I just reminded myself that every lupron side effect got me to my LSH. For me, lupron was very worth it.

Lupron is a ~band-aid~ on a problem. It temporarily decreases the amount of estrogen to the body. Lupron can decrease endo and it does not cure it.

Also, you might question your Dr. about the length of time she wants to put you on lupron. My Dr. would not put me on lupron longer then (3) months since long term use of lupron can cause bone density loss. Just a thought.

Here is a WebMD link on lupron. Lupron also has a fancy medical name I could never pronounce:

http://www.webmd.com/hw/endometriosis/hw101914.asp

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 02-08-2006, 09:51 AM

I have been offered Lupron by 2 doctors. I never took it. I just did not want to put my body through it. I am glad this new dr did not even suggest it. (I am having the hyst for the pain from adeno but also since my uterus is prolapsing, bladder and rectum too. so the only FIX for me is the hyst.) I am looking forward to it! (I also have 3 kids and had my tubes tied. My youngest just turned 4) Hugs Raymo
Unread 02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Research Lupron first

Hi, I agree with the poster who said you should research Lupron first. I had an unpleasant reaction to it, as well, and would not take it again.

I am sure there are many, many women who have had no problems at all, so just make sure you are making an informed decision.

Blessings,
Faithfull

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register