new and nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new and nervous new and nervous

Unread 06-22-2008, 10:16 PM
new and nervous

I will have surgery on the 30th June. I am really nervous- more so about pain after than anything. I have gastric delayed emptying ( and sensitivity to meds) so tak'n some meds by mouth can really make me sick.

I am going to call the doc about maybe a visiting nurse so I can come home with an IV (?).. plus some other questions and 1 or 2 things I forgot to tell him.

I know the surgery may help with my quality of life. I have had problems since I was 14.

Thank you for let'n me join the sisters... I can really use the support right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2008, 12:17 AM
new and nervous

I will keep you in my prayers.
Unread 06-23-2008, 01:07 AM
new and nervous

Hey, Sister! I'm glad you decided to let us share the load this week. I know how scary it can be. I used to have such a high tolerance for pain, but since two natural childbirths...forget it! Drugs, please!

I had a total hysterectomy and took my ovaries too, June '05. I woke up as sick as a dog due to the morphine. I don't tolerate that well. But, I could already tell even then that I had made the right decision doing the surgery! I jumped through all the hoops neccesary to get off the IV morphine (clear liquids, jello) so I could take pills. But I really didn't need them as much as I thought I would. Yes, I did have to take some but I had been SO bad off for so long and still was trying to lead a normal life...I was already getting healthy right after surgery! I just can't tell you the diff for me anyways. BUT, back to the prob at hand...have you ever tried Stahdal (sp?) It is a very very stout pain killer that is a nose spray. I would go that route than going home with an IV and all that involves. I'm sure that they have options. Just make your doc listen to you, now! I find it helpful if I start by saying "I need my chart to read..." and then tell him that you won't take meds by mouth and he needs to write Stahdal or whatever you decide on. It can be difficult for the nurses to get a hold of the dr when you need them but if you choose to have a say now, at your drs. office, your wishes will be in his post op directions to the floor nurses. You can prob do this by phone with the drs office.

You are going to do great! Let us know how it all goes!

BonnieDee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2008, 02:59 AM
new and nervous

Please talk to your dr, I don't think you will need to go home with an IV. Tell him everything you have said here and then he or she can tell you your options. They give you medicine for nausea with the morphine and I had no problem but everyone is different. Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 06-23-2008, 10:12 AM
new and nervous

thank you.. I called the office, but have to call back in a couple hours. From reading some of the posts and other information.. I have some questions written down. I cannot thank you enough.

The other thing I have against me is some Docs just dont understand my stomach condition. Plus this will be done in the military hospital.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register