Hair Loss? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Hair Loss?

I had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago. Recovering pretty well.
I have a question:
Hair loss post hysterectomy. I am experiencing some hair loss when I run my fingers through my hair. I am not on estrogen replacement. I also was not menopausal.
Has anyone experieced this? Is it normal? Is this surgery related ( trauma) or is it more to do with my bodies changes it is going through?

I will call my doctor tomorrow, but thought I would ask here first.

Thanks for any help.
Joanne Schum
luckylungsforjo@aol.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Hair Loss?

I was going to post the exact same thread today. My hair loss is not severe, like falling out in clumps, but I do notice it. I do hope someone has an answer. I was just thinking about extensions and how they work. I hope it is just something that happens due to the :trauma" we have been through!! Maybe my hair will just stop falling out and my belly will stop swelling, in a perfect world I guess!!! I am not on any hormones at this time, and my hormone level is normal.
Unread 07-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Hair Loss?

I am not experiencing any hair loss...no more than the normal few strands I would shed each morning anyway. Just wanted to bump you up and hope someone else had this experience. Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Hair Loss?

I posted something about this on my blog a couple of days ago and someone left this comment:

"Thyroid problems are common after hysterectomies (and other'female' surgery') for some reason and that leads to hair loss. If you get tested don't just get a TSH, ask for a free T4 and Free T3 as well as many women are dismissed as 'normal' when just the TSH is used."

I haven't asked my doctor about it yet because I'm not scheduled for another appt. 'til next month and I don't want to be a pain in the neck. But it makes sense to me. If the problem doesn't resolve itself in a month, I'm definitely going to ask about it.
Unread 07-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Hair Loss?

Hi

I'm 7 weeks post-op and haven't started HRT yet - and am also considered to be in "surgical menopause", but I've not noticed any hair loss. I do take a great multivitamin (a "prenatal" vitamin ) and lots of vitamin E and omega 3s - so perhaps these supplements are helping (?)

I have read that post-surgery (any type) hair loss can be expected.
And hormonal fluctuations also can cause hair loss as well.

s

Shoozie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register