Question about time frame for being released for intercourse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about time frame for being released for intercourse Question about time frame for being released for intercourse

Unread 01-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Question about time frame for being released for intercourse

Although I am not at the 6 week mark yet this has been in my thought process for weeks. I guess my question as silly as it sounds--not that only one person can answer it but does it make any difference in feeling or when you are released to have sex depending on if you had the procedure vaginally, abdominally or laparoscopically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM

Hi susan91859!

No matter what type of hysterectomy procedure one has, all patients need to wait until their physician officially releases them to resume intercourse.

I had a TAH/BSO with a bikini-line incision. I did not experience any surgical compications. My release was at the conclusion of my six-week post-op exam. My gynecologist told me that I was all healed and could do whatever I felt like doing.

From posts I have read on this site, it appears that those who had laparoscopic procedures are sometimes released sooner. For those with vaginal hysterectomies, 6 weeks seems like the norm. For those who had repairs, the wait is often longer.

I hope that after you are released by your physician, you enjoy a wonderful intimate post-op life.

Unread 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM

I had a LSH and was told by my Dr. that I could resume sex at 2 weeks. I did not try until 5 1/2 weeks due to constant spotting. I wanted to wait until that stopped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2009, 03:07 PM

I had TAH/BSO and at 6 week post op appointment, my doctor told me to wait another 4 weeks. I was disappointed to say the least, but would rather be conservative in recovery than suffer problems later on.
Unread 01-15-2009, 03:09 PM

i had an lsh and was released at 2 weeks...everything was fine.
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:55 PM

My doc made us wait until 6 weeks. Our first time was uncomfortable for me. Felt like my veejay was bruised and tender. So we waited another 6 days, used lots of lubrication and took it SLOW. It went much better.

Once cleared by your doctor, YOU will know best when you're ready and for how much. I feel very blessed to have a DH who is ever so patient and loving. I thank God for him daily!

Kris
TAH Thanksgiving Day 2008

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register