mag/calcium/ multi vitamin/progesterone bloat | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

mag/calcium/ multi vitamin/progesterone bloat mag/calcium/ multi vitamin/progesterone bloat

Unread 10-03-2008, 04:57 PM
mag/calcium/ multi vitamin/progesterone bloat

My Dr. wanted me to go for a body scan by this DO Dr. she knows and so I did. Not that informative but I'm doing what she wants so I can get better!
He did highly recommend that I take a calcium/magnesium supplement along with vitamin D. Also some omega 3 oils.
I bought some liquid cal/mag that has vit. D3 in it as well. I'm scared to take it. Whenever I take a multi vitamin, my stomach gets upset and it doesn't matter even if I take it with food. Will the cal/mag upset my stomach?? He said to start out slow and low dose and go up slowly.
Also... I think I'm retaining water now. I'm not thirsty at all and my urine is very clear - like pure water. Could this be from the progesterone?? Right now my body is very progesterone depleted so the doc wants me to be on it and it has helped my anxiety bunches so I don't want to go off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2008, 05:48 PM

Usually progesterone will have the opposite effect, that is it wouldn't make you retain water. However; when adjusting hrt it's not uncommon for symptoms to occur or become worse before things get better. I would give it some more time.

So you haven't been taking calcium and magnesium all this time? Calcium and magnesium are very important for those of us in menopause. It was one of the first things I started taking.

I don't believe in multi vitamins as many times they contain too much or not enough of something that you may need. I take all my supplements separately.

If the calcium does upset your stomach, you could try calcium citrate, that is what I use as I have a very sensitive stomach. Calcium citrate is easier on the digestive tract than regular calcium and I have read that the body absorbs it better. Note: caltrate is not the same as citrate. I know that the two are easily confused.

Hang in there, if things are improving that is a good thing. I wouldn't worry too much about every little symptom that you may experience. I think sometimes we worry too much about every little symptom we may experience. I don't think everything will be perfect 24/7. If overall you are doing better, and you are noticing improvements, that is a good thing.

Unread 10-03-2008, 06:36 PM

Thank you for the encouraging post! I need that. Good to hear that progesterone itself isn't the cause for water retention. I could very well be the change in hormone therapy still.
I'm reading my liquid cal/mag bottle (and no, I've never taken it before - no one ever told me how important it is til now) and the calcium source is calcium citrate - so thats good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2008, 06:54 PM

Seablue, I started getting very regimented about taking a multivitamin, a B complex vitamin and a calcium/magnesium supplement, I take the first one with breakfast, the second with lunch and the cal/mag with supper.
It's been about a month now and I have to admit that I have been feeling better, still have anxiety so I would like to see what progesterone will do for me...I know I'll never be 100% but it's a step in the right direction!

North7creations
TAH Sept 9 2004
Vivelle 1.0
Unread 10-03-2008, 07:23 PM

North7 -- Oh don't say you'll never be 100% - maybe you will be one day
If you're still having anxiety, I bet the progesterone will help you. It did for me.
And I was BAD!! Maybe I'll go ahead and take my cal/mag tonight with dinner. I was going to take it in the morning but I guess it doesn't matter?
Unread 10-03-2008, 09:30 PM

Any research I did on calcium/mag supplements suggested that taking it in the evening was better because magnesium can be calming...I've tried it at all different times, so I think it's whatever fits your schedule.
Getting the anxiety to calm down would be a big relief for me as I have to supress it the best I can in order to function through the day. I'm also hoping that the progesterone will help to calm that feeling of " wanting to run around the house babbling and feeling like I'm losing my marbles" (this feeling is not fun either) I still am going to have my thyroid thoroughly checked as I can wake up in the morning feeling so cold and shakey it makes me nauseous, then try and warm up and feel sick because I feel like I am overheating.
Hang in there, I'm thinking of you!

North7
Unread 10-04-2008, 10:05 PM

I have to make sure my multivitamin does not have any iron, beacuse it gives me really bad nausea. Also, Caltrate (with vitamin D) is chewable and easy on my stomach... and doesn't taste too bad.
Hope you get feeling better.

Blonde
Unread 10-05-2008, 09:04 AM

I take my multivitamin with breakfast - it asborbs better with food and also helps with any potential stomach issue. The b vitamins in it can have an energizing effect which is better suited to the start of the day!!

Calcium/mag is for nighttime - Magnesium can have a very relaxing effect, and calcium is a natural muscle relaxant. In fact, if I think I'm going to not sleep well (sometimes you can just tell......) I take an extra at night and have the best sleep ever. It knocks me out.

I use a brand called Rainbow Naturals that have some stuff in them that enhance easy digestion and aborption. Do be warned though - too much magnesium can have a laxative effect. Which is okay - considering calcium is binding.
Unread 10-20-2008, 06:05 PM

Is taking a multivitamin that already has calcium in it along with the calcium caltrate ok? or is that too much?
Unread 10-20-2008, 07:42 PM

seablue - I"m like you, very sensitive to multivitamines. Can't find one that doesn't make me sick, but I started doing eveyrthing I needed separate, and I'm ok. I take magnesium and Omega 3 and never had a problem. Hopefully it will work well for you too! I had to take the highest does of magnesium to get any benfit from it (400mg per day) so watch that and if you don't see any improvement, make sure you don't need to raise up the dosage.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register