The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy - Give-Away! - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy - Give-Away! The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy - Give-Away!

Unread 04-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Re: The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy - Give-Away!

I stepped away from my stoic, self-sufficient comfort zone and told others what was going on. I got a huge amount of physical help and emotional support from everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2013, 02:16 PM

Congrats! Our final winner is rkt590!

Please send me your snail mail address (mailing address) and we will send you a copy of The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy. Thanks to all for participating in our contest.

We have awarded all 4 copies of the book to our winners!
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Wink - The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy - Give-Away! Re: The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy - Give-Away!

To get ready, I did do some things; however, I am writing as someone who joined HysterSisters AFTER I had my surgery. Looking back, I wish I had taken the time to do more.
I had a lot to do to get my classroom prepped for a long-term sub, and I have a wonderful husband, so I thought I could count on him to help do more of the prep at home. Consequently, I am looking around me post-op wishing I had done more here. (For those of you who are pre-op, take heed!)
With all that said, I did take the time to pack my bag for the hospital, and I did remember my iPad, my cell phone, my favorite lotion, and my lip balm. I wish I had packed my own looser underwear and sweat pants that were looser around the waist. (Again, learn from me....)
[/i][/i][/i]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2013, 08:37 AM

I cleaned the whole house, changed sheets, went shopping for easy throw I the oven meals. Put milk and things like that, that were heavier in smaller containers so I could lift them after words.
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:53 PM

To prepare for my hysterectomy, I did several things. First, I had to prepare myself spiritually and mentally. I did not want to worry about not waking up after being given anesthesia, or any other complications that are associated with having a hysterectomy. I prayed and asked God to give me the peace that I needed to assure that this procedure was the best thing for me. After reading various websites and other postings on the Web, it can be very confusing that hysterectomy is a " necessary" procedure." After many weeks of prayer and reading the Bible as well as post from the Hystersisters website, I had the peace that surpasses all understanding that a hysterectomy was necessary for me. I wanted to stop bleeding excessively every month, suffering from anemia, headaches, and fatigue. This was definitely, the procedure for me.

I also wanted my family to be just as prepared for my post hysterectomy care. I explained to my seven year old daughter, that I had to go into the hospital for surgery and that I'd be there for a couple of days. She wanted to know why I had to have the operation, and I explained to her that she has seen the days where Mommy did not feel well and had heavy bleeding where I destroyed my clothes. She understood, in fact, her entire class sent me a Get well card. I also bought my daughter a nurses uniform set because she told me that she wanted to be my nurse. This prepared her psychologically and also gave her something to look forward to when I returned from the hospital. My husband was completely prepared to take care of me and the family. He made sure that I had everything that I needed before my hospital stay. I had magazines, new slippers, robe, gowns etc. all packed before the day of my surgery.

In addition, I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill to strengthen my core before the surgery so that I wouldn't be in " terrible" shape when I came out the hospital. This gave me confidence because I knew that if I could give through a decent workout, after surgery I had something to look forward to: going to the gym and having the willpower and physical strength to complete it.

I also prepared my staff for my 8 week absence from work. As an assistant principal, I wanted to make sure that they had everything they needed to get through the next 8 weeks and to remember that the students are our top priority. My staff put together a small party for me at the end of the day and when they asked me to come, I was overwhelmed with emotion. I actually had to get my composure so that I did not break down in front of them. That emotional moment prepared me for my hysterectomy in a transformational way. It relieved all the pressure, and the love my my staff reassured me that the next few days would be difficult, but they were definitely able to triumph over.

Finally, I went for pre-surgical testing and prepared for my trip to the hospital on March 12. I gathered my things, went to the car and waited in the hospital until they called me in to prepare for my hysterectomy. The great thing was that I was calm and that I had no fear of losing my womanhood because it did not solely reside in my uterus, or my ovaries; it was deeply embedded inside of my soul: it was me.
Unread 05-15-2013, 06:42 PM

Hmmmm, I filled the water softener and dog food container to the top (no lifting). Refrained from reading my magazines (they never got read...lol). Made a list of movies I was going to watch (they never got watched lol). Resolved I was going to do what I felt like doing within my Surgeons parameters and not do what I didn't feel like doing and for once in my life that's exactly what I did! I stopped my pain meds by day day 3 because I felt like I could. I progressed my activity as I saw fit and I had an I eventful recovery....I believe I did so because I did as I said...I set no expectations to do anything at any milestone timeline and did it on my timeline...again while following Dr's orders. I prepared by managing my expectations of myself and others! Very liberating! Namaste!
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:14 PM

Having a davinci hysterectomy next Thurs. Need book!
Thanks.
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Dr Lauren Streicher has released a new version of her awesome book: The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy - and we are giving away 4 copies this month! For a chance to win a copy, reply to this thread.

Tell us what you did to prepare for your hysterectomy!

We will announce a winner each Friday for the next 4 weeks.
To prepare I cleaned the house and got all the laundry caught up, got extra groceries into the house. My husband and kids were a great help, while in the hospital he made sure our bedroom was cleaned with fresh bedding, he put books and magazines on the night table, he even made me a laptop/serving table so I could eat in bed and play on my laptop once I got home.
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:52 AM

I had an endometrial biopsy,I cried alot,made myself emotionally prepared,I am only 37,not saying that this does not happen to 37 year olds but I do have alot of other health problems,and had not had children yet,and was not ready to have my parts given up. I spent alot of time alone,and with God.
Unread 05-18-2013, 03:43 PM

I cleaned my house from top to bottom.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register