How do you pass the time? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do you pass the time? How do you pass the time?

Unread 08-07-2005, 06:04 PM
How do you pass the time?

Before you can return to driving and work, how do you occupy your time? Surely plenty of sleep and lying down, but beyond that what do you do? (I'm interested in WHAT people ARE doing, not what, if it differs, they SHOULD be doing.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2005, 06:34 PM

I got antsy as I neared the end of my second week. I read a number of novels, played on the laptop in short intervals, and watched way too much daytime TV. I thought I might do something more productive, but my brain just wasn't lucid enough. Even though I was bored, I just needed that time to veg.
Unread 08-07-2005, 06:37 PM

I read a LOT!I also did crosswords,surfed the internet,called people I hadn't talked to in forever cause I never had time,wrote letters,Folded clothes after DH did laundry,etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2005, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California
Before you can return to driving and work, how do you occupy your time? Surely plenty of sleep and lying down, but beyond that what do you do? (I'm interested in WHAT people ARE doing, not what, if it differs, they SHOULD be doing.)
Dear California,
How about cleaning out that junk drawer you've been putting off? Or rewriting your personal phone book..... organizing photos for the photo album, or even getting a head start by addressing Holiday cards? Take up a new hobby (knitting, cross stitch)or rekindle an old one you haven't had time for. Use your mind a bit...... you'll impress yourself with the things you can accomplish!
Unread 08-07-2005, 06:40 PM

Hey California...this is WHAT I've been doing since my TAH/BSO on July 19th. Lottsa surfing the internet and spending time on this site. Online chatting with friends and relatives. I've done dishes 3 times since I came home from the castle. My DH has done it the rest of the time. I haven't even cooked yet. DH has. I shower--no baths allowed--although, I don't know about everyone else, but the first 2 or 3 days after I got home, my DH stood outside the shower until I was ready for lower legs and feet to be washed--I couldn't bend that far! After that, I was able to handle it myself. I watch TV, read magazines and the paper. I walk back and forth in the house. I peek out the windows and daydream about walking around our property! I can't walk down the driveway because its DOWN. Not supposed to go downhill, because then I'd have to go uphill to get back to the house. I can walk on the flat parts around the outside of the house though. I went grocery shopping in a wheelchair 11 days after my surgery. I could walk a little bit, but grocery shopping involves a lot of walking! I've been riding in the car for rides here and there. I went back to the doctor for my 2-wk follow-up, which was a 2-hour drive. No driving--my DH took me. I tried organizing some files--still working on that, it made me tired. I guess if you're talented, you can draw, paint, crochet or knit, or sew. I'm fine sitting up but, with lots of pillows, like behind my back, or on my tummy when I put my laptop on my lap (thighs). I just don't have a lot of energy, even over 2 weeks later. Today was my big day. I overdid it a bit. We left the house at 10:30am, drove to Yosemite and walked around a little at Glacier Point. I thought it was time for me to get a little exercise. Then, came home through a different gate and stopped at a grocery store. I shouldn't have done that part. Going down the aisles wasn't so bad, but standing in the line at the checkout killed me. I didn't push the cart or carry any groceries. By the time I got home this afternoon, I plopped myself down right where I'm at! My DH had to get me a pain pill. My muscles were not ready for that much in one day, and some of the bumps in the road came before I could brace myself. I really did not do much walking, but I guess I wasn't quite ready.

So...it's just a lot of nothing and gets boring and lonely. I know others have bounced back quicker than me, and I've read their posts about driving here and there. Honestly, I just couldn't do it yet.

I was writing down my experience with all this, and the hospital stay, etc., so I could post my experience. But as soon as I got home and started writing, my mind was foggy. I couldn't remember things in the right order. I told my DH and DD they would have to help me remember things. I guess those drugs they give you in the hospital are pretty strong, haha.

That is one hint for you pre-op ladies. Bring a pen and notebook and write things down as they happen while you're in the hospital, and things leading up to it. I never did read my magazines in the hospital because I had family visiting and felt too weak to pick them up. I had the TV on but didn't really watch it because I couldn't get my eyes to see straight while on those pain pills. But I think if I tried to write, I could have handled that! And that way, I would have all my details straight! From the first shot of that "cocktail" in the pre-op room, until after my first week home, things were foggy.
Unread 08-07-2005, 06:44 PM

As a lady in waiting, this thread is a BIG help! I can plan ahead and get craft supplies, scrapbooking stuff and so on. Keep the input coming, Ladies!!!
Unread 08-07-2005, 07:01 PM

I'm reading, sleeping, watching TV and spending a little time at the computer. I went to the uro last Wed and then out to lunch with dh. I am starting to get a bit bored now.
Unread 08-07-2005, 07:11 PM

I went out to lunch a couple of times during the first weeks. It felt so good to get out of the house and see people. I always went early so I wouldn't have to face a crowd and DH or DS drove.

Other than that, lots of reading, too much TV, movies (thank goodness for NetFlix), crosswords and of course, this website. I do read my e-mail from work occasionally, but I try not to worry or respond to them.

Patti
Unread 08-07-2005, 07:16 PM

Jigsaw puzzles and reading Hystersister posts
Unread 08-07-2005, 08:12 PM

Farmers Market. There are benches there - and after a short stroll - I could sit and rest for a bit in the sunshine. Bought lots of healthy veggies and enjoyed myself. I don't drive yet and am waiting for a friend to take me for a manicure this week. Also - hubby took me to a movie. I figured I could sit in a nice theatre chair for 2 hours. March of the Penguins is great! July 19th SAH

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register