Had ablation & UFE for fibroids, but don't feel better and confused if I should get a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had ablation & UFE for fibroids, but don't feel better and confused if I should get a hysterectomy Had ablation & UFE for fibroids, but don't feel better and confused if I should get a hysterectomy

Unread 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Had ablation & UFE for fibroids, but don't feel better and confused if I should get a hysterectomy

I am almost 48 yrs old. I had a thermal ablation in 2014 for heavy bleeding, which didn't work. I had an MRI in April 2015 and my fibroids at the time measured 12.6c (uterus was 17.5cm). I then had a UFE in May 2015 and it helped with my heavy bleeding, but I still feel fullness, heavines, pressure, dull pain, tenderness, and a bruised type of feeling all the time. Since then my fibroids have shrunk a little. Now they are around 9cm (uterus is 13cm). My gyn says I should just wait it out and once I go into menapause, the fibroids should shrink. But I don't know when that will happen and there is no guarantee the fibroid will shrink. I am scheduled for a second opinion with a different gyn next month. I don't know if a hysterectomy will make me feel better or not. I don't want to go into instant menapause and I know that keeping my ovaries helps with that. But I have also heard stories of women having bladder issues, and other issues after a hysterectomy. I'm looking for other women with similar stories to please share before I do anything. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2016, 12:32 PM
Had ablation & UFE for fibroids, but don't feel better and confused if I should get a hysterectomy

I recommend a hysterscopic d&c which is what I had after UFE. Even though my bleeding stopped I had significant bulk symptoms. My uterus felt very heavy as if I had a water balloon in there. The d&c cleaned out the uterus and thinned the lining of fibroid residual. I feel significantly better. The results were tested to show no signs of cancer or pre-cancer. I think this would be the next step vs. having a hysterectomy since you've done so much to save your uterus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM1931 View Post
I am almost 48 yrs old. I had a thermal ablation in 2014 for heavy bleeding, which didn't work. I had an MRI in April 2015 and my fibroids at the time measured 12.6c (uterus was 17.5cm). I then had a UFE in May 2015 and it helped with my heavy bleeding, but I still feel fullness, heavines, pressure, dull pain, tenderness, and a bruised type of feeling all the time. Since then my fibroids have shrunk a little. Now they are around 9cm (uterus is 13cm). My gyn says I should just wait it out and once I go into menapause, the fibroids should shrink. But I don't know when that will happen and there is no guarantee the fibroid will shrink. I am scheduled for a second opinion with a different gyn next month. I don't know if a hysterectomy will make me feel better or not. I don't want to go into instant menapause and I know that keeping my ovaries helps with that. But I have also heard stories of women having bladder issues, and other issues after a hysterectomy. I'm looking for other women with similar stories to please share before I do anything. Thank you.
Unread 07-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Re: Had ablation & UFE for fibroids, but don't feel better and confused if I should get a hysterectomy

Hi,

I had ablation January 2016. Did nothing for my heavy period. I had a few big fibroids also. Didn't want UFE or myomectomy? I had no attachment to my uterus. Lol. Next step for me was a laparoscopic supra cervical hysterectomy. Meaning my uterus was taken along with both Fallopian tubes (one turned blue when he extracted my uterus and the other had a polyp on it). I kept both ovaries and cervix. So far so good. Something to consider, I did not want children, so this was a good choice for me. Recovery has been good. Have to remind myself I had a major surgery. I am 49
Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Re: Had ablation & UFE for fibroids, but don't feel better and confused if I should get a hysterectomy

It's difficult for sure. I just had a TVH a month ago. I had turned down the ablation option because it doesn't deal with the fibroids, only the uterine lining to reduce bleeding. I did try a UFE which was ultimately failed and I had no relief from my 7 fibroids. I'm 33 and hoped that would get me to menopause (wishful thinking). I threw in the towel and decided to a hysterectomy but ONLY if my doc would agree to do it vaginally. She was wonderful and truly let me guide my journey. She brought in another doc to assist her in my surgery because she doesn't do many vaginal hysterectomies. It was the best decision of my life. No more pain, bleeding or just plain feeling crappy all the time. I did keep my ovaries because I want to go into menopause naturally.
Unread 08-05-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenb603 View Post
It's difficult for sure. I just had a TVH a month ago. I had turned down the ablation option because it doesn't deal with the fibroids, only the uterine lining to reduce bleeding. I did try a UFE which was ultimately failed and I had no relief from my 7 fibroids. I'm 33 and hoped that would get me to menopause (wishful thinking). I threw in the towel and decided to a hysterectomy but ONLY if my doc would agree to do it vaginally. She was wonderful and truly let me guide my journey. She brought in another doc to assist her in my surgery because she doesn't do many vaginal hysterectomies. It was the best decision of my life. No more pain, bleeding or just plain feeling crappy all the time. I did keep my ovaries because I want to go into menopause naturally.
Hi Jenb603, Thanks for sharing. Can I ask you a couple questions? Did you take Lupron to shrink your fibroids prior to your hyst. and did you keep your cervix? Thanks.
Unread 08-05-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM1931 View Post
Hi Jenb603, Thanks for sharing. Can I ask you a couple questions? Did you take Lupron to shrink your fibroids prior to your hyst. and did you keep your cervix? Thanks.
The only med I took was progesterone and that was only in the month prior to surgery because I was bleeding horribly. We were trying to make sure I wouldn't go into surgery anemic. I did not keep my cervix. I figured if I was going this route that it should just all go. I didn't want to possibly deal with mini periods with my cervix.
Unread 08-05-2016, 03:02 PM

I'm 46 and had massive fibroids which taken over my uterus along with endometriosis, adenomyosis and echogenic foci. I have previously had surgery to remove the endometriosis but it came back with a vengeance. I had investigated other things but my gyro said the best thing was a total abdominal hysterectomy. She suggested an ablation and other surgery, but advised that with 4 things to deal with she couldn't tell me how successful they would be. I am 10 weeks post surgery on Monday. Best decision I've made. No more pain or incredibly heavy bleeding that was destroying my life.
Unread 08-07-2016, 12:56 PM

I had a hysteroscopy, a d&c and an ablation on Friday, July 15th. By Tuesday I was on the phone with my doctor crying, almost to the point of hysteria. I was bleeding as heavily as I was pre-ablation. I was so miserable. I had an emergency appointment with her on Wednesday. Her nurse told me to get undressed, I did. When she came in I apologized because there was a pool of blood already. She lifted the sheet and I could see the look of surprise on her face. I went for a full hysterectomy on Friday July 22nd. I have been thrown into menopause, that's a bit odd but I am so happy with no chance of uterine, cervical, ovarian cancer. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and she had pre-cancerous markers for uterine cancer. I love that it is something I never have to worry about again for me. You make the right decision for you but I'll take my hot flashes. The ablation was a failure but this was total success. At just 2 weeks post-op, I really feel awesome. Best of luck.
Unread 08-09-2016, 07:15 PM

I am 4 weeks out from my TAH-BSO on7/7/16. Had the Di Vinci, no pain, no complications. My 2 large fibroids & uterus weighed 535 grams, 14.5 cm. My OBGYN & I watched it for two years. I am now 55. No site of menopause. I had very heavy periods every month. My Dr said it was time. Best decision! I feel so much better. No more back pain. No more incontinence. I feel like I have a new bladder that works great. Overall just feel wonderful. No longer look like a pregnant woman. Wished I did it a few year earlier. Removed ovaries because my sister has ovarian cancer. Now I don't have to worry about that any more. My hot flashes are gone too! I feel like I have a new and improved body!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register