Pre-Op-No Bowel prep? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op-No Bowel prep? Pre-Op-No Bowel prep?

Unread 05-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Pre-Op-No Bowel prep?

I just came from the anesthesis visit and saw my regular Doctor yesterday for a very brief pre-op. Both agreed that no internal cleanse, or bowel flush was necessary.

I will be fasting overnight and the next day, that is all. Is this unusual?

Lily-Claire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Pre-Op-No Bowel prep?

No, it's not unusual. I didn't require bowel prep either. It all depends on the extent of your surgery or the particular way your Dr. wants to prepare you I think.
Unread 05-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Pre-Op-No Bowel prep?

I had no bowl prep and I fasted only from midnight to the morning of the surgery They did shave me but that was after I was knocked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Pre-Op-No Bowel prep?

My dr. also said no bowel prep. I told him I wanted to do an enema and he said go ahead.

The reason I wanted to do it is because, IMHO, the cleaner the bowel is before sx., the less will have to be evacuated after. I didn't want to deal with straining the rest of what was in there out. Just made sense to me that I could start new again. Even though I ate lightly the few days before sx, I was surprised at how much came out with the enema. Sorry, don't want to be gross.

Because nothing was in my colon after sx., and because I really didn't eat the first 3 days after, I didn't have to deal with the BM until I'd already had a little healing in there. The first one was a very light one at Day 5 post-op and as I ate more they became more regular. I am now 10 days post-op.

This is just my own conclusion. I used to work for a gastrointestinal dr. for 6 years and I used to instruct patients on different bowel preps. After transcribing reports and just being around the world of "colons", I came to some of my own conclusions.

Always double check with your doctor and ask questions, why and why not?
Unread 05-28-2004, 01:43 PM
Pre-Op-No Bowel prep?

Hi, I didn't have to do a bowel prep either. Nothing after midnight for me. Then at the hospital, the nurse did give me a fleets enema. It really wasn't bad, I don't think that I even bothered to

s
Unread 05-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Pre-Op-No Bowel prep?

I had no bowel prep; just no food or water after 7 p.m. before the surgery. (Surgery was scheduled for 7:30 a.m. next day) I did eat very lightly 3 days before & the day before surgery I only had liquids, but that was my choice. I think it is up to your doctor and/or what other kinds of procedures are involved besides the hysterectomy.
Unread 05-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Pre-Op-No Bowel prep?

I had no bowel prep either. I was a little taken back by it becuase I thought that it was normal to have one. But I didn't and things went well.
Unread 05-28-2004, 07:41 PM
bowel prep

I was instructed to have a light dinner and around 7:00 that evening to drink a bottle of magnesium citrate. No problem, just cleared out my bowels. Nothing to eat/drink after midnight. My surgery was at noon the following day. Very easy.
Surgery was on Wed. and my first bowel movement was on Monday. Again, no problem, although I was apprehensive. FYI.....I still take a stool softener 2X a day and 2 fiber con at bedtime just to be on the safe side.
All the best,
Dainey
Unread 05-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Pre-Op-No Bowel prep?

OK, someone needs to fill me in on pre-op.
I got a date today and the doctor's nurse asked if I wanted to meet with the doctor before surgery or not. Duh!!! Yes, I said. I made an appt that is about a month before surgery. (I want him to remember that I want to try to keep ovaries and cervix like we talked about, unlike his nurse who seemed not to remember that.) Should I wear a big sign and pin it on my hospital gown as I go into surgery?
What does the pre-op entail? what is all this about bowel cleansing?
Unread 05-28-2004, 10:41 PM
bowel prep

Hey,
No need to be afraid.
I (and my husband) met with my Dr. the morning of my surgery at her suggestion, to go over everything and to make sure this was what I wanted to do. I was very grateful for her thoroughness.
I found the small bottle of magnesium citrate I was to drink to be a piece of cake. (I got the cherry flavor) All it did was clean out my bowels in an easy way. I had no discomfort what so ever and was glad to do it, knowing that I would not be having any "solids" for the next day or two. I truly believe it helped me mentally and physically.
I also understand your apprehension.
Meeting with your Dr. right before is a good thing as I also reiterated that I wanted to keep my healthy ovaries and my cervix if at all possible.
I am 16 days post op and grateful for the 2 glasses of wine this evening......very mediciinal. No pain at the moment and I know I will sleep well.
All the best and don't hesitate to " voice " your concerns! No one looks out for you any better than YOU.
Dainey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register